Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Barton Short Throw Shifter for Six Speed Challengers. (Long Read)

I have followed Barton since I first heard speculation that they would make a shifter for the Challenger. A few months later and a prototype came to be and Barton started preorders in January. I was so excited I believe I enrolled as soon as the site opened up. Four weeks later and a follow up with Dave, I got a call from Barton and they were ready to send out five prototypes. If I was interested they would ship it to me overnight to install over the weekend. Friday 02/14 it arrived for install so I freed up time Sunday to get it done.

Initial appearance:

This must be the most overbuilt shifter I have ever seen. Solid billet aluminum and nothing small or cheap about it. Hell there are 12 bolts that connect the shifter to the main body. Just look at the photos this thing is a tank enuff said!

Install experience:

I must of watched the install video twenty times looking at each detail. I am going to emphasize that instructions are there for a reason. Follow each step as outlined and you will be rewarded. Fall out of line and you will regret it, and will only have to undo and redo, in order to do, what you should have done. If you watch the video and follow the steps this should take no more than an hour of your time and moderate effort. The two hardest moments are the pins than connect the shifter to the transmission and lining up the shifter with the transmission plate. Take your time and you should not have to force anything.

Fit and Finish:

Did I say this thing is a tank? The tolerances are tight and unforgiving. This was an engineers hard work and creative mindset. The machining is clean no sharp corners or anything that can cut you or hang up on something. Time and effort was placed into the final product. My Challenger will rot and fade away before this thing even discolors. I am impressed and I am a jaded enthusiast. I wish I could display this shifter openly.

Testing experience:

Once everything was button up it was time to experience the upgrade first hand. Starting and idling there is no noise.The shifter is solid and any movement is to select a gear. There is no side to side slop and gear selection is a satisfying click. There is no doubt you have made a positive selection. Moving through the gears is out of one and into another almost instinctively and methodically. As you raise the RPMs the sound of an engaged transmission is evident but not obtrusive. It is a satisfying sound of power. It almost sounds like a whirl of a supercharger and immediately disappears at continuous speed and not noticed upon deceleration. Again this is an upgrade to a performance product. If you want absolute quiet stick with the stock shifter and keep wondering why you keep missing third.

Overall:

I am very happy and look forward to driving my Challenger even more. This upgrade is a must for anyone from everyday driver up to a track master. It will make your driving a better experience period.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Glad it all worked for you. I'm guessing you own an SRT?

·
Registered
279 Posts
What year and model challenger do you have?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be a year thing since trans are the same for both RT and SRT. Did you bolt down the trans cover first and then tried to line up the rear bolt and rubber?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Could be a year thing since trans are the same for both RT and SRT. Did you bolt down the trans cover first and then tried to line up the rear bolt and rubber?
We couldn't bolt the trans cover first then make the shifter fit. We had to put the shifter through the cover with the dust boot and then muscled it towards the passenger sit to get it to fit. We tried all different methods and almost gave up. Luckily we finally forced it in. It's not a natural fit at all, Dave said he would sent me a new modified shifter in the next two days. He also said that could be causing my extra noise. Once I get the new unit installed I'll give everybody an update in my installation thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck on version 2, I believe 2010 model year is the cutoff. Doesnt Dave own a 2011 and Danner 2013? I know they are SRT but since I have an RT it dismisses that theory so it has to be model year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just an FYI in your pictures you are showing the rear bolt that slides on to the forks installed in reverse did you correct it? The bolts should be facing towards the transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Thank you for the good report. I totally agree with your experience. The Barton is a huge upgrade from the factory shifter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
FINALLY SHOWED UP!!! Could I be the first in Oklahoma??? Going to try and get it installed tonight but might have to wait until weekend. Will let everyone know how the install and diving experience goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts