Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the fence between Barton & Hurst shifter.

I like the Barton shifter and I'm leaning towards that direction, but, for me I'm looking more for the 70's style pistol grip shifter handle and theme.

If I install the Gunslinger Pistol Grip handle on a Barton shifter how does it look, does it sit too high and are the shift throws longer than on a stock shifter your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
All good questions, I too would like to know? although I'm pretty sure it won't be much higher then the hurst judging by the compared block heights of the two...I'm almost certain it will eventually break off even if it has the added on welded bar stock...it's obvious the Barton needs a straddled type of Handel with some good backbone..I'm sure it won't be long before someone makes a straddled pistol grip at the right height, but like with the past hurst pistol grips it won't be cheap $$$$

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I dont think the height of the base is different much at all....and it is basically the same exact mount of the original...so it will be no more prone to breaking than if it was mounted in the stock shifter??? The throws will still be significantly shorter than the stock shifter because the length of the throw is determined by the shifter and not the handle itself. The base will be moving much shorter distance compared to the stock base.

If you look at the video where they have the stock shifter handle mounted in the prototype barton, that is exactly what you have in the production model...you have the 2 bolts holding the shifter (with the added 4 bolts that are used in the adjustment plate and no mounting plate in the back that is only utilized when you use the Barton Flat Stick...take away the flat stick and you have the stock shifter with the added convenience of being able to adjust the angle...that is all...and of course the shorter throw. Not sure why anyone would think this is any less reliable than the stock shifter or why it wouldnt reduce the throw....

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
the barton does sit just a tick higher than the hurst.

with that being said the barton quality is far and away better than a stock hurst.. and the only way to get a hurst up to par is to spend another 150 buck to have a aftermarket throw rod put in so it will last and not fall apart over time.. i have had both.. shifting wise with the aftermarket throw rod in the hurst they are about the same

the barton has the edge for handle angle adjustability and beefier unit. and if you want to throw all that out the window if for no other reason it is MADE IN THE USA with people that accually own a challenger. visit and are on this and other car forums and have been VERY VERY VERY.. did i say VERY helpful with any and all questions, concerns, and issue's that have arrived. and have and are continuing to improve on there product.. don't see hurst posting at all.. nor helping.

SO that really and truely is the bottom line as far as i am concerned.

chris

Reactions: B5ClassicRT

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Chris...was it your post that showed how much higher it was?? I know it cant be but maybe 1/2 of an inch and thats it...there just isnt that much room under there for it to be much more than that...

the barton does sit just a tick higher than the hurst.

with that being said the barton quality is far and away better than a stock hurst.. and the only way to get a hurst up to par is to spend another 150 buck to have a aftermarket throw rod put in so it will last and not fall apart over time.. i have had both.. shifting wise with the aftermarket throw rod in the hurst they are about the same

the barton has the edge for handle angle adjustability and beefier unit. and if you want to throw all that out the window if for no other reason it is MADE IN THE USA with people that accually own a challenger. visit and are on this and other car forums and have been VERY VERY VERY.. did i say VERY helpful with any and all questions, concerns, and issue's that have arrived. and have and are continuing to improve on there product.. don't see hurst posting at all.. nor helping.

SO that really and truely is the bottom line as far as i am concerned.

chris

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Barton has been very clear on this ..... if your aftermarket handle works with stock shifter it "may / should" work with the Barton.
I am curious about this as well as it was my first question when I purchased my shifter.
Personally I will go with the Mr. Norm's.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Chris...was it your post that showed how much higher it was?? I know it cant be but maybe 1/2 of an inch and thats it...there just isnt that much room under there for it to be much more than that...
nope i never did shoot pics of the hurst and barton side by side.. but i do know the barton is taller.. not much but a tick

·
Registered
275 Posts
My Barton will be here tonight, install tomorrow. I will put my Hurst Shifter (with Larry's mod) along with the long and short arm with white shift ball & Mopar shift ball up for sale shortly...Nothing wrong with it, I just have the disease of changing parts and modifying for the sport of it :)

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
My Barton will be here tonight, install tomorrow. I will put my Hurst Shifter (with Larry's mod) along with the long and short arm with white shift ball & Mopar shift ball up for sale shortly...Nothing wrong with it, I just have the disease of changing parts and modifying for the sport of it :)
When you have them out of the car can you take a quick picture of them side by side so we can see the relative position of the mounting holes for the sticks....that will clear up exactly how much higher a gunslinger would be in the Barton as compared to other shifters...

·
Registered
275 Posts
When you have them out of the car can you take a quick picture of them side by side so we can see the relative position of the mounting holes for the sticks....that will clear up exactly how much higher a gunslinger would be in the Barton as compared to other shifters...
No problem. someone else here has pics of the factory, Hurst, and Barton all side by side?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Stock, Hurst, and Barton. The Hurst looks a little taller in the one pic because of what it was sitting on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just picked up a Larry modded Hurst, and am a little concerned about potential noise increase over stock.

Has anyone used a Hurst (Larry modded or otherwise) with the stock bushing, instead of the red Hurst bushing?

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've read that the 2015 stock shifter is much improved. I never tried an older model, but I don't find any reason I would want to replace the stock shifter on my 2015 Shaker RT. Am I missing something?

·
Vendor
244 Posts
The 2015 Factory shifter is the same exact shifter as the previous years.

PJB- You need to sit yourself in a car with a BARTON, and you will instantly know the difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts
is it even true to say that the 2015 is better than the previous years?
The shift arm is different, but as the representative from Barton said, the shifter itself is essentially the same. What I pulled out of my '15 Hellcat is the same thing I pulled out of my '11 392.

The stock shifters start out ok, but after you get some miles on them you'll notice they begin to progressively grow mushy on you over time.

In my experiences so far the Barton doesn't experience that issue, and doesn't act like a tuning fork for tranny noise the way the Hurst does.

I'll second the motion though that you should hit up a bunch of car shows and see if you can find one and see if the owner will allow you to sit in the car and try a few shifts to feel the difference one makes.

If you're in the Chicago area send me a PM.

·
Vendor
244 Posts
We are offering a Black Friday sale. We reduce the throw 44%, while adding centering springs for that perfect 2-3 shift.

We do have a 30 day return policy. Buy a Barton, install it and if you are not satisfied with the performance send it back for a FULL refund. No one else in the market offers that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts