Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, guys. This will be my first Dodge. It'll be a black\black 6-speed Challenger R/T, as per my name. I've only owned one Dodge before, and that was a Jeep with a 5.9 in it. Great engine. Anyways, my previous car was a Mustang GT, circa 2005 (Kinda slow), and to waken it up, all I did was tune it, CAI, full exhaust (minus headers. Just an offroad H and some straight pipes), and some smaller pulleys. Is it safe to say I can do about the same to the 5.7 and get about the same result? Ala huge improvement in Torque and responsiveness? Also; so the thread doesn't devolve in to 'lol noob', what mods are you planning\working on for your 6.1\5.7?

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Cai, Predator, should be all you need....maybe exhaust. 09 5.7 starts at 375 HP.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
you wont need anything to wake these bad boys up. The R/T should take a mustang GT easily. IF you want something so, id recommend exhaust, CAI and a tune. You would be well into 400hp at the crank

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
How would the 5.7 respond, or hold up should I say, to basic mods,(tuner, exhaust, CAI) and a 100 shot of nitrous? I have heard the bottom end is good to about 600 HP? What about the half-shafts?

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
How would the 5.7 respond, or hold up should I say, to basic mods,(tuner, exhaust, CAI) and a 100 shot of nitrous? I have heard the bottom end is good to about 600 HP? What about the half-shafts?
I have another charger friend with these mods and nitrous. He has't had any problems with half shafts.

He also runs drag radials and turns upper 12's consistantly.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to reply. It has been crazy busy here!!

Like mentioned above:
Cold Air Intake,-- We like the C&L unit

Exhaust- headers back would be prefered, but I understand that surpasses some budgets- so as much exhaust as you can afford. Headers, highflow cats, and catback.

A must is the Diablo Predator: This a a basic requirement for any future mods and will make an improvement even with just a CAI.

To take it up a notch:
25% SFI approved underdrive pulley
PPP Ported Heads
PPP Cam
6.1L injectors

NX- 100 Shot is always a fun option and can be used safely

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
What about the 90mm TB you guys have tim? How much would that increase the power if you have a full exhaust mod

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
wow, thats great numbers for just a TB. How is it with daily driving, any glitches in the computer?

·
Registered
716 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but can I visit my local speed shop and have them tune my motor with a Predator or do I have to purchase one and have it on hand?

·
Registered
885 Posts
What performance mods can I do that won't void the factory warranty?

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
You have to purchase your own unit. After the Predator is keyed for your VIN, it won't work with any other vehicle.
correct, you need to purchase one. But you can use it on other vehicles. The way to do so is to restore your car to its factory settings, then it removes the lock between the predator and your car. Thus allowing you to use it on another car.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
What performance mods can I do that won't void the factory warranty?
i would say any cat back, and cold air intake would be fine without any warranty issues. Probably not much else.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dodge tends to be leanient on the whole aftermarket thing. The only other issue I'm seeing with my future R/T, is it's a 5-speed Autostick. Which means, yes, I have the MDS. I know I cannot cam the engine without a lot of work, but that's not a problem. All other mods should take alright, shouldn't they? Or will the MDS mess with the tuning? I do plan on modifying the vehicle extensivley. Would a 6-speed straight 5.7 work better for that? Any advice is awesome.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You can retain MDS and instal a "Small" cam, but 98% of people who want a cam upgrade will delete the MDS so they can run a larger cam. Also you will receive 6.1 NON-MDS Lifters.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Dodge tends to be leanient on the whole aftermarket thing. The only other issue I'm seeing with my future R/T, is it's a 5-speed Autostick. Which means, yes, I have the MDS. I know I cannot cam the engine without a lot of work, but that's not a problem. All other mods should take alright, shouldn't they? Or will the MDS mess with the tuning? I do plan on modifying the vehicle extensivley. Would a 6-speed straight 5.7 work better for that? Any advice is awesome.
If you are dying for the automatic thats fine, you can turn off the MDS.

If you dont care what tranny you get, id say just get the 6 speed and save yourself the hassle of the MDS. That is just something else to go wrong IMO

·
Registered
555 Posts
We have many customers who had MDS lifters. It is a very easy swap to convert to non-mds. If you are planning on upgrading the cam, you simply install 6.1L lifters and turn off MDS. You will not have any issues and we do this weekly. The reason you need to get 6.1L lifters is because they are able to handle a larger cam then the MDS lifters are capable of. --MDS lifters will collapase under the increased lift and duration.

Again- this is not a deterant to getting a upgraded cam.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts