Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular system:

5.7L Retro2 C Cat-back 09-14 Challenger

I've been looking at getting the Blastin' Bob's Magnaflow Glasspack Resonator Delete Kit for a while now, but ran across the full catback system today - I have never seen these on the website before until now.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on either of these two, I was able to find a lot of threads on the resonator delete - but not the full cat system. Reason being it seems like it is only another 100 dollars and change for the full exhaust. My main concern would be passing smog with the full system - I know next to nothing about exhausts or if that will even effect anything other than sound quality.

For reference, I have a 2014 6 spd. R/T.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You got the 6m so go with the res delete. You have a great OEM exhaust already. Minus the resonators.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
It is a cat-back kit, meaning that your converters are left intact and there would be no impact on Smog testing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
MFCE, 09-14, Challenger, 5.7L ,7db, Magnaflow, resonated,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,

If this is the Magnaflow kit you had been looking at you should keep in mind that it doesn't "delete" (eliminate) the resonators. It "replaces" the stock resonators with perforated core resonators. It doesn't produce a throaty sound like the catback system either. I've got the MFCE kit on mine. The sound is nice, but not muscle-car throaty like I had hoped. Just something to keep in mind.
I'm subscribed to this thread because I'm interested in the same catback system. The video on Blastin Bob's website sounds awesome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MFCE, 09-14, Challenger, 5.7L ,7db, Magnaflow, resonated,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,

If this is the Magnaflow kit you had been looking at you should keep in mind that it doesn't "delete" (eliminate) the resonators. It "replaces" the stock resonators with perforated core resonators. It doesn't produce a throaty sound like the catback system either. I've got the MFCE kit on mine. The sound is nice, but not muscle-car throaty like I had hoped. Just something to keep in mind.
I'm subscribed to this thread because I'm interested in the same catback system. The video on Blastin Bob's website sounds awesome.

That's the one that I was looking at. I was torn though, because some videos made it sound really good and other videos were just so-so.

The video of the full catback system on blastin' bob's sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. But there's almost zero information to go off of - I'm not sure if its just a really new product or not that many people have purchased it, but I can't find any information/reviews/videos on it. I may just have to pull the trigger and be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I like the way the Magnaflows sound but I'm not in love with it. It was a cheap mod so I kept them. Better than stock. But if you pull the trigger on the catback system, post a video. I really like the sound from the sound clip. It's awesome, especially for that price! Best of luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whelp, its ordered. Guess I'm a little compulsive - but I'll hopefully find out what it sounds like soon!

I was able to find one youtube video of a guy who had put them on his challenger - but it was a video of him pulling down his driveway and then disappearing around the corner and coming back about a minute later... was not very informative.

Will try to get a video up after I get them on since there dont seem to be many floating around out there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Whelp, its ordered. Guess I'm a little compulsive - but I'll hopefully find out what it sounds like soon!

I was able to find one youtube video of a guy who had put them on his challenger - but it was a video of him pulling down his driveway and then disappearing around the corner and coming back about a minute later... was not very informative.

Will try to get a video up after I get them on since there dont seem to be many floating around out there.
Looking forward to hearing it. Best of luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder how this catback compares to slp's lm1 on the loudness level?

I honestly couldn't tell you, I had to look that one up - from the videos it sounds pretty loud.

I got the Blastin' Bob's system in and had it installed. I was quoted $120-150 for install from one shop - but found another shop that did a great job for only $80! I was stoked :eusa_dance:

Its definitely much louder than stock - but not too loud for me by any means. And there is definitely a drone at certain RPM's but I grew used to that with the drone from my F150 - it may be enough to bother some people, but it doesnt bother me. If I'm not accelerating on the freeway, I hardly notice it.

There is a fair amount of back pressure flutter with this particular kit - which I like, but that's also a matter of preference.

It does lose a bit of that deep tone at higher rpm's but I still like it.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. Especially for the $400 and change that it cost compared to higher end kits that I don't personally think sound any better.

I will most likely be uploading a video soon. Still trying to get the time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sweet! Congrats on the cheap install! :rocker:

Yeah, if you can get a video on here that'd be awesome. I want to pull the trigger on this if I'm able to fall in love with the sound. If possible, try and get both interior and exterior sound in the video. Just curious about the drone. My MFCE's drone at high RPM's but it's not bothersome to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have this exact exhaust setup on my Challenger. I have the 5 speed automatic. Here is my review....

I had a local shop install it. I got in and started the car up and of course it's louder than the stock system. At first I thought is this too loud? Then drove off down the road and had a big grin on my face.

There is some cabin drone but it doesn't bother me at all. In fact I've had my sister and mom ride along with me and asked them what they thought. They also agreed the drone wasn't bad at all. The drone is loudest around 1800 rpm.

It's got a nice old school muscle car sound now. When you get on it it is pretty loud. Yet driving at 55-60 mph it's fine. Has a nice strong rumble at lower speeds. I also noticed it's slightly louder in SPORT mode.

FYI I bought a Diablo Trinity Tuner and deactivated MDS. With MDS on the after market exhaust sounded to raspy. With it deactivated it sounds good.

So out of 5 stars I'd rate it a solid 4. IMO the current 2015 Scat Pack Challenger exhaust set up sounds better.

Here are some Youtube videos I've found on the exhaust we are discussing.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blastin+bob's+retro+2+exhaust

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the review. The system sounds great and with the coupon code that's out right now I think it's more than worth it. Have you noticed any difference in performance? I'm not expecting gains and I don't want to lose performance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the review. The system sounds great and with the coupon code that's out right now I think it's more than worth it. Have you noticed any difference in performance? I'm not expecting gains and I don't want to lose performance.

She did seem to have a little more pep on the drive home. Then again it could have been the placebo affect (with the new louder exhaust note raising the excitement.)

Within a few days after install I tuned the car with the Trinity. I've never had the car on a dyno so couldn't tell you how much if any power gains the exhaust adds.

I get a lot of looky loos, the exhaust helps. Pulling into a parking lot once a friend heard me coming around the corner before he saw me.

In fact another friend was riding along with me once. We were at an intersection waiting for green. A guy in a Mustang was at a gas station filling up. He was bent over looking at his rear tire. When the light turned green I got on it and the Mustang guy immediately looked up to see. He was across the street, so the exhaust is loud at WOT.:grin2:

·
Registered
102 Posts
What's the coupon code?

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's located on blastin bob's section of the vendor forums. I don't know it off the top of my head. I can tell you it's definitely worth a look. It's a fathers day code I think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts