Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't run my PCP SRT8 in over 2 weeks due to snow and ice here in NC, so two days ago I decided to run an extension cord out the the carport and hook up a Battery Tender. It has been running for two days straight now supplying a trickle charge, and I still have a solid red charging light. No flashing green or steady green seen yet. I would expect it should have topped off some time yesterday at the latest. I'm gonna throw a voltmeter on the battery tonight to see what volts it has, then recheck tomorrow to see if it's climbing or at least holding. The dome light is off, doors are all closed, nothing seems to be on, and the car has never had a problem starting. I have the hood cracked open. Should I be concerned??

I'm glad I found this problem, cause while I was under the hood, I saw a couple acorn shells under the passenger 6.1L Hemi valve cover after I popped it off. Also lots of mice turds. Then, to my horror, I found a huge 5" hole chewed into the firewall insulation on the driver's side.
I went straight to Walmart, and bought a bunch of kids-sized socks/tights, and filled them to overflowing with mothballs. I place them strategically under the hood. I also got 4 D-con feeding trays and placed one inside each tire. Did I mention I hate mice... I hope they all die in agony. Anyone else having a mouse problem?

·
Registered
762 Posts
NO mice, mine is a squirrell problem. I opened the hood on my pickup an had acorns on my valve covers. The truck is under a shed.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Is your trunk closed completely? I have a battery maintainer and found out the hard way that without closing the trunk completely on the cord, the trunk light was still on and the battery charger would not go green. Any other current draw will also prevent the blinking green light as well. Sorry to hear about the mice. Here in Jersey they camp out in any vehicle I leave outside. Chipmunks have been leaving acorns in my subaru unibody channels. Sounds like a bunch of marbles rolling around in my dashboard...but actually came from above the wheel. I have since taped up any holes exposing those channels. Something to think about, good luck!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hook up the battery tender under the hood. Red to red connector and black to any ground spot. If the trunk is cracked open the light will be on. Mine has sat for several weeks at a time and hasn't needed a battery tender on it.
If mice or rats have chewed up insulation they most likely have done some wires also.

What the heck is an EGG CORN? Do you mean ACORN? (From trees?)

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
As already has been stated, the trunk and the doors have to be fully latched. The switch mechanism is inside the latch assembly.
So the light WAS staying on in the trunk.
People at car shows take a pencil or pen and "close" the latch, turning off the light, leaving the trunk open. (just be sure to open the latch before slamming the lid.)

Sorry to hear that you have rodent problem, I thought you were gonna tell us the monsters ate through your wiring.

Good luck

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just in case you don't know, if you put the decon where it is accessible to other animals that like to eat, they will die too. This includes animals that cause you no harm in any way. Maybe a better location for the decon would be under the hood somewhere.

I do sympathize with your problem, though.

·
Registered
958 Posts
we have problems with pack rats (a form of mouse). They eat wiring sometimes but mostly like to use the interior "stuffing" to build nests. They can squeeze thru very, very tiny openings. I use the decon packs in the various cars in the trunk, on the floor of the passenger side and under the hood. They eat the stuff, get super thirsty and die from hemmoraging. Ive never found a body and there's no smell, I think they bail out in search of water. The stuff will kill any other pet or animal so do not leave it where it's accessible to any other animal. Mothballs are a urban legend, they won't work. There's a site called "Mr Packrat" that explains them pretty well.

I haven't had any in my Challenger... yet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You're right about mothballs not working. I tried them for years around my mowers stored inside a very open barn. I'd place the balls on the engine top, and they would build nests within 3 inches of them. They are also fairly expensive to continually replace.

I also tried those ultrasonic devices --- worthless. I finally moved the mowers inside a metal shed I procured.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Went to get my oil changed in the spring after letting my Sebring sit in the garage all winter. They showed me all the fringe from my blanket next to the car and the sacks from the birth. I had mice in my boat once and then put mothballs in and never had mice again. Could be a coincidence. I think if you walk around your car and touch your engine parts leaving you scent, it might help. The only time I have seen mice damage is when you abandon your vehicle for long periods of time. Haven't heard of a rodent problem when a car has seen some human interaction. Just my thought.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I caught that before reading your post and edited it. Thanks for noticing, lol. You'll have to excuse me, just had knee surgery today and percocet is kicking in.:)
Looks like we're in the same dingy. I had to hit the Hydrocodone today as my ankle feels like I have a bear trap on it. 3 ankle surgeries since last Dec. You are pardoned!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Moth crystals work, they eat them and get very slow moving (drunk I think) and are easy to catch in that state

·
Registered
526 Posts
stuart little on the prowl

Time to head to the country barns and grab a couple of " barn cats"
someone mentioned this earlier on this forum concerning this problem and his solution was to leave a radio on,the constant noise and vibration drives them away makes sense to me
Play some gangster rap that will drive them out for sure,hopefully not your neighbors though lol:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Looks like we're in the same dingy. I had to hit the Hydrocodone today as my ankle feels like I have a bear trap on it. 3 ankle surgeries since last Dec. You are pardoned!:bigthumb:
Ah...Vicodin

Sorry to hear about the ankle, that sucks. At least you have that beautiful White Challenger in the driveway to help you feel better, even though I can't drive mine for awhile I know that Orange Crush will be waiting patiently under the cover for me when I can.
Side note:The first Challenger I saw in real life was an Kowalski special. Tough choice for me, would now like to have an R/T auto in white to go with my HO SRT 6spd. Hope you feel better soon.:)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I brought my wife, then girlfriend, home from a date and the radio was on in the corn patch in the garden. Her father was using the radio to fend off the raccoons.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Time to head to the country barns and grab a couple of " barn cats"
someone mentioned this earlier on this forum concerning this problem and his solution was to leave a radio on,the constant noise and vibration drives them away makes sense to me
Play some gangster rap that will drive them out for sure,hopefully not your neighbors though lol:bigthumb:
My cat "retired" from catching mice and the radio doesn't work. I need to catch mice again. Dad caught over 100 in one day while I was deployed last year... When we took his Indy to a show they ate a piece of the underhood insulation a week later.

I feel your pain, it's time I wage war on the little rodents myself.:fight:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I put my car in the CarCapsule when stored for more than a week. No problems with condensation, dirt/dust, or mice. Sorry to hear about your problems, I had a mouse in my house for 2 weeks I couldn't catch with traps. Put out some poison and the little fellow turned feet up stiff as a board on my laundry room floor. Try everything and stick with what you like to use then STILL check for them every few days. They're very sneaky critters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts