Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's Wall Street Journal has a lengthy article about batteries being drained while cars are not driven on a regular basis. It references, among others, Mercedes, Corvette, Mini Coopers, Ford Expeditions etc. and starting problems after sitting in for as little as a week. As you probably surmise, the problem relates to battery drain associated with GPS systems, anti-theft systems, proximity sensors, etc. According to the article some manufacturers caution owners when cars are inactive for as little at 5 days. Personally, I've never heard of this problem occurring after such a short time.

So, my question...anyone experienced this with their Challengers?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Modern cars have modern batteries and charging systems that are designed to handle the stock electrical loads. Notice I said stock. If YOU add all kinds of aftermarket electrical gadgets to the car it could be a different story. I can tell you this, my 2010 Challenger RT would sit every winter from late October till April in an unheated garage in NY (cold!). I never disconnected the battery or ran a tender to it. The car NEVER failed to turn over and start every spring.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
If you park the car w/o arming the alarm (and key fob > 10' away), the battery drain is minimal.

My vehicles would sit 4 - 7 days at a time [didn't drive to get to work...] and one has a battery that was installed in Summer '08 [still going strong, but watching it]

Didn't have an issue with the 7+ year old battery in the '09 I sold and my nearly two year old SP Shaker is doing fine as well.

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
If I'm not using the car it's hooked up to a battery tender.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a 2006 Monte Carlo that would go dead after sitting for a 3 day weekend. It went trough 3 new batteries(under warranty) and many trips to the dealer with "no problem found" with the electrical system. They told me it was normal for a battery to lose its charge in a modern car due to all of the electronics, and their new cars in the showroom went dead all the time.

I finally traded it in on a 2009 Challenger and later traded that on 2012 a 2012 Challenger. Neither of the Challengers ever went dead, even after sitting for weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I had a 2006 Monte Carlo that would go dead after sitting for a 3 day weekend. It went trough 3 new batteries(under warranty) and many trips to the dealer with "no problem found" with the electrical system. They told me it was normal for a battery to lose its charge in a modern car due to all of the electronics, and their new cars in the showroom went dead all the time.

That's crazy. There is NO way a battery should be dead after sitting for 3 days. I think the dealership was feeding you a line because they couldn't find the problem. Just my opinion. :wink3:

Reactions: Evil Minion
1 - 7 of 7 Posts