Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Challenger srt8 and the battery goes dead if the car sits for 5 or 6 days. Anyone else have this problem and what was the fix ?

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
212 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you lock the car, it activates the security system on the car, increases electrical load on battery. Its small but over time it will drag a battery down, every time. If you have the car in a locked garage, don't lock it. That will reduce parasitic amperage draw. If you lock it, put a trickle charger on it.( if you store it for weeks at a time, I'd put a trickle charger on it.)
They do help extend battery life.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If you lock the car, it activates the security system on the car, increases electrical load on battery. Its small but over time it will drag a battery down, every time. If you have the car in a locked garage, don't lock it. That will reduce parasitic amperage draw. If you lock it, put a trickle charger on it.( if you store it for weeks at a time, I'd put a trickle charger on it.)
They do help extend battery life.
With some cars not locking the car keeps the car's electrical system "alive" far longer and at a higher draw than locking the car. Locking the car "signals" to the car's electronics the car is not going to be used again for a while so the electronic/electrical systems power down promptly.

For the security system while it is "on" it is only only part of the time. And if the car sits some time -- with a previous car it was 5 days -- the security system goes into a power save mode -- and one can't even unlock the doors by pushing a button on the key but have to use the blade to open the driver's door.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You need a battery tender.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,532 Posts
You are not running a Tazer or Diablo Sport tuner by any chance? Could also be the battery itself. Have you disconnected it, let it sit and the reconnect to see if it holds a charge?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
My instance of similar was bad door lock/actuator, which showed up as several amp battery drain before failing to move the window for opening/closing the door.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Put a battery tender on it. battery is probably over ten years old. Mine sits too, so I have a Northern tool battery tender on it 24x7 during the winter. No issues.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,532 Posts
10 year old AGM battery...that is well over its intended service life. I bet you load test it, it will fail spec.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts