Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original battery in 2010 R/T has expired. It will not take a charge and of course we in the middle of sub zero weather. At least, it decided to take a dump while in my garage. Looking for replacement recommendations. Any issues known with any batteries?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Gone are the days when you went to Sears and bought a Diehard because it was a better quality long lasting battery. There are very few battery makers any more and most of the different "brand names" are all made by 2 or three manufacturers. With the exception of special purposes (campers, farm/construction equipment, boats, etc...), or perhaps racing....passenger car batteries are all about the same. Go to Advance Auto Parts and get the cheapest one they have for your car. If you can get the car there, they'll install it for you.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I went with autozone platinum agm
2 reasons. Johnson controls makes them
And there is pretty much autozones in every part of the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,500 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
Go with AGM - the price differential isn't as much compared to conventional lead-acid batteries. Often its $20-30 difference

They'll last longer and hold up better in vehicles that may sit for periods of non usage.

Autozone, O'Reillys/Shucks/Checkers, Napa - carry batteries. Like the previous posts, most batteries are made by 2 -3 suppliers with different store labels on them

Even Batteries Plus carries automotive batteries as well

I'm not big on Optima - like some other brands, they have a recognized name - quality isn't the same as what it used to be.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
I installed the Bosch Platinum battery in my SRT. It has better performance (800cca) than the OEM battery and should last much longer because of its glass mat technology.

I got a great deal. It sells for $230, but I bought it on line from Pep Boys with 25% off and a Bosch $30 rebate.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
While we're talking batteries:

Back in the winter of 1980-81 (I was 16), I had a 1971 AMC Javelin with a hugely oversized battery that a friend had stolen...um.....creatively acquired from a D9 Caterpillar bulldozer at a nearby construction site. It had something obscene, like 1500 cold cranking amps. It was 1 1/2 times the length of a normal battery, so I made a custom battery box in shop class, just so I could use it. On frigid-cold mornings, I'd poke my head out the door and listen for the unmistakable "whinnity....whinnity.....whinnity" sound of MOPAR starters going on people's cars who wouldn't start. On my way to school, I'd drive around in my Javelin, with my huge buldozer battery, a set of jumper cables and a can of ether, looking for cars in driveways with the hoods up and charge folks $5 for a jump start (this was when tow trucks would do it for $20). I'd make $20-$25 on my way to school some days. in 1980, this was enough for a couple tanks of gas and enough left over for a case of Malt Duck.

Waiting outside the beer store with a $5 bill and trying to get someone to buy me beer.....is another story..........

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
On frigid-cold mornings, I'd poke my head out the door and listen for the unmistakable "whinnity....whinnity.....whinnity" sound of MOPAR starters going on people's cars who wouldn't start.
...The Highland Park Hummingbird...was the nickname for the reduction gear starter.

I remember when I got my first car ['68 Fury] my mom asked "what's that sound" when she heard the starter...my family had predominately GM cars.

·
Registered
537 Posts
...The Highland Park Hummingbird...was the nickname for the reduction gear starter.

I remember when I got my first car ['68 Fury] my mom asked "what's that sound" when she heard the starter...my family had predominately GM cars.
Grew up in Massachusetts and drove many GM cars and remember the sound of those big GM starters on cold winter mornings....... "Wah wah wha...., wah wah..........wah..........wwwwwwwah....., click, click, click, click... (total silence) :surprise:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
^^^^^only thing better was laying in snow smacking the hell out of them ??*♂

·
Registered
537 Posts
^^^^^only thing better was laying in snow smacking the hell out of them ??*♂

Yup..., been there done that. The first time I changed a GM starter I nearly killed myself because of how heavy they were. At least I wasn't laying in the snow though.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
Grew up in Massachusetts and drove many GM cars and remember the sound of those big GM starters on cold winter mornings....... "Wah wah wha...., wah wah..........wah..........wwwwwwwah....., click, click, click, click... (total silence) :surprise:
Two ways I remember GM starters:

For some reason, Chevys typically had shims between starter motor and block. I don't recall these issues on Pontiac / Olds / Buick turning up.

Often if the starter was changed - without the shims installed or correct thickness

-you'd have that "scream" as the engine started (it was a high pitched sound as starter was disengaging and engine lit off)

-or a heat soaked engine on a warm day - it would have binding and turn more slowly than normal

And their big block engines seemed to be more prone to to the heat soak starter symptoms - worse so with LT headers.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Two ways I remember GM starters:

For some reason, Chevys typically had shims between starter motor and block. I don't recall these issues on Pontiac / Olds / Buick turning up.

Often if the starter was changed - without the shims installed or correct thickness

-you'd have that "scream" as the engine started (it was a high pitched sound as starter was disengaging and engine lit off)

-or a heat soaked engine on a warm day - it would have binding and turn more slowly than normal

And their big block engines seemed to be more prone to to the heat soak starter symptoms - worse so with LT headers.
You're spot on. I still find those damn shims when looking through my tool boxes for other things. I had a big block Nova years ago that I ended up buying a Tilton (reduced gear) mini-starter for because I didn't want to go through the whole shim heat soak routine anymore... :|

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My mom drove a 67 Fury II and a 73 Fury III and her boyfriend had a 74 Duster with the slant 6. I remember those starters well.

Who can remember bypassing a failed starter solenoid with a screwdriver to get your car started? Good old #2 phillips across the solenoid terminals, worked every time.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,560 Posts
Who can remember bypassing a failed starter solenoid with a screwdriver to get your car started? Good old #2 phillips across the solenoid terminals, worked every time.
Remember, heck I still do it once in a while on my jet boat 460 BBF. One of these days I will upgrade the starter. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
While we're talking batteries:

Back in the winter of 1980-81 (I was 16), I had a 1971 AMC Javelin with a hugely oversized battery that a friend had stolen...um.....creatively acquired from a D9 Caterpillar bulldozer at a nearby construction site. It had something obscene, like 1500 cold cranking amps. It was 1 1/2 times the length of a normal battery, so I made a custom battery box in shop class, just so I could use it. On frigid-cold mornings, I'd poke my head out the door and listen for the unmistakable "whinnity....whinnity.....whinnity" sound of MOPAR starters going on people's cars who wouldn't start. On my way to school, I'd drive around in my Javelin, with my huge buldozer battery, a set of jumper cables and a can of ether, looking for cars in driveways with the hoods up and charge folks $5 for a jump start (this was when tow trucks would do it for $20). I'd make $20-$25 on my way to school some days. in 1980, this was enough for a couple tanks of gas and enough left over for a case of Malt Duck.

Waiting outside the beer store with a $5 bill and trying to get someone to buy me beer.....is another story..........
Smart.

I hope you kept the Javelin.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Smart.

I hope you kept the Javelin.
Sad story on the Javelin. It was a bare bones stock Javelin with 304 V-8 and A/T. As a high-school teen, working minimum wage fast-food job and in single-parent home, I didn't have a lot of spare coin to spend on it. I did replace the stock exhaust when it rusted out with a pair of Thrush mufflers (sawed the Y-pipe off and clamped them on, right next to the transmission, and had custom exhaust pipes bent, that came out right in front of the rear tires). Slotted Appliance Mags on G-60 14s in the back F-70 14s in the front (white lettered "used" Goodrich T/As). Don't laugh, but when it was time to paint, my brother and I shot it with spray cans. Did about as good a job as we possibly could, and it really didn't look too bad. When I tore up the stock A/T, I found a Borg-Warner T-10 from a wrecked 69 AMX, and It bolted right up to the 304. Came with the clutch/brake pedals and Hurst Competition-Plus shifter. The stock rear end was completely the wrong rear-end for that trans (I had no low-end) but it was still a 4-speed, and a pile of fun to drive, even if the motor was only listed at around 200HP. I wore the clutch out, right before I left for basic training (USAF) a month after I graduated high school in July 1982. I racked up a lot of phone bills calling my girlfriend from Basic Training and tech school, and had to sell the Javelin to pay the bill. Ended up marrying my girl the same year and with her came her 1974 Olds Cutlass S with a Rocket-350....so even though the Javelin had a sad ending, I had that Olds right up until the first kid was born. 35 years later...same wife....Javelin and Cutlass are long gone, and the Challenger has taken their place.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, my first car in 1984 was a 1970 Challenger, and had a similar sad story. It was light burnt orange, white vinyl top, Cragers, built 318 with a 3.91 rear end. $1600. It was running best when i first bought it. My dad made me get rid of the headers (exhaust was cut off before the rear axle) for cast iron manifolds and a full length exhaust. He said it sounded like a tank. I sunk a lot of money into it as a dumb kid getting ripped off from repair shops. I'm also surprised I'm still alive the way I drove that thing. Also fun trying to get it smogged in CA back then. But for three years it took me all over CA, to concerts, etc. and was pretty reliable.

It came to a sad end when I had 3 cars and was getting dinged for street sweeping parking tickets. I sold for $500 and some car radio parts.

The kid never bothered registering it in his name, so I had one more chance to get it at an impound yard. I think it had blown a timing chain. I didn't have a place to keep it, so I sadly had to let it die.

Now I have Toxic O. And while Hellcats and Demons and 8 speed trannies and newer interiors all look tempting, there is no way I will part with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts