Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

Since I put my 2013 RTC in the garage to be stored for winter, I have put a battery tender on the car, hooked up via the dash cigarette lighter. Today, I decided to check on the car. I unplugged the tender and fired it up for a few minutes, no problems. I plugged the tender back in, and the courtesy lights on the doors (handle, lock/unlock buttons) lit up. When I unplugged the tender, they went off. Plugged it back in, they lit up. Checked the car about 5 minutes later, they were still on. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
Is your power port set to always hot?
There is a fuse in the trunk that has to be moved to do that.
Did you plug it in the wall last, after it was plugged into the wall?

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't moved or removed any fuses. I tried both plugging into the car and outlet last, and the door lights still come on. Before today, the lights were not on.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The 12v port isn't meant to be used that way, nor is it always hot. You're likely feeding power back into circuits that aren't supposed to be getting power and you may end up causing problems with your TIPM. Virtually everything in the car is controlled by a computer or module, nothing is just a direct battery connection.

I recommend connecting the Battery Tender directly to the battery.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Is it ok to just hook it up to the terminals under the hood? I am currently sidelined with a severe back injury and can't bend or stand for long. That's why I did the 12v connection.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Thanks for the input. Is it ok to just hook it up to the terminals under the hood? I am currently sidelined with a severe back injury and can't bend or stand for long. That's why I did the 12v connection.
Yeah, connecting to the positive feed to the TIPM under the hood should be fine since that's where the jump start point is. Next to it, on the fender, is the negative post you can use.

Hope your back gets better soon!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I hadn't even noticed it had aux terminals under the hood but it makes sense that it does.
I'm guessing that would be fine, from what I know .. and that's not much. :)

a related question, I hadn't started my car in a couple of weeks and checked the battery with a meter
and it showed 11.9v so I put my Battery Tender on it and left it for a day or so and it never went to float.
pulled it and checked the voltage and it was at 12.7v. drove the car on the highway 20 miles or so and when I got home checked it again and it was at 12.3v. put the Tender back on for 2 days and it never switched to float and
showed 12.66v. took it off for a week and after driving it 25 miles it's at 12.6v. running showed 14.2v.

everything else I have will go to float after 30 mins or so and maintain 12.9v when fully charged, think I've got a problem with the battery (dead cell) or this is normal for this car?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I hadn't even noticed it had aux terminals under the hood but it makes sense that it does.
I'm guessing that would be fine, from what I know .. and that's not much. :)

a related question, I hadn't started my car in a couple of weeks and checked the battery with a meter
and it showed 11.9v so I put my Battery Tender on it and left it for a day or so and it never went to float.
pulled it and checked the voltage and it was at 12.7v. drove the car on the highway 20 miles or so and when I got home checked it again and it was at 12.3v. put the Tender back on for 2 days and it never switched to float and
showed 12.66v. took it off for a week and after driving it 25 miles it's at 12.6v. running showed 14.2v.

everything else I have will go to float after 30 mins or so and maintain 12.9v when fully charged, think I've got a problem with the battery (dead cell) or this is normal for this car?
12v batteries have 6 cells, each cell is capable of 2.1v. 6*2.1 = 12.6v, fully charged with no surface charge. If you had a dead cell then you would usually see 10.5v. Now, it's possible to have a dead cell and still get > 10.5v if the remaining cells are being over-charged, but that would become evident after putting a load on the battery to get rid of the surface charge. I wouldn't expect to see 12.6v on a battery with a dead cell, but you may want to try turning the headlights and heater fan on for a few minutes, then re-check the battery voltage. The voltage should drop with the lights/fan on and then recover to > 12v. If it doesn't then the battery is likely bad.

Not sure why it doesn't go into float mode, though. Perhaps when it tries to there is enough of a parasitic draw that it feels it has to switch out of float and go back into charge mode since the voltage is dropping below the float threshold. :confused:

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, connecting to the positive feed to the TIPM under the hood should be fine since that's where the jump start point is. Next to it, on the fender, is the negative post you can use.

Hope your back gets better soon!

Again thanks. I'll try and get it hooked up tomorrow. Awaiting a surgery date to get 3 vertebrae fused.

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
In the trunk there is a fuse box, in that box there is one fuse that is offset. That position turns the powerport off with the key, align the offset fuse with the rest (in your manual) and the port is always hot.
It should not hurt the car. My brothers Porshe and others sit all winter that way and are fine.
A call to Deltran (Battery Tender) in florida should confirm this.

Reactions: Yahooligan

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
My point on moving the fuse is prior to moving it you're sending power to the interior side of the power system only and nothing to the battery, once you change it's position you'll send power to the battery. Personally my Battery Tender is connected to the jump points under the hood. I doubt Deltran would offer the lighter plug attachment if it could/would harm the car.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
In the trunk there is a fuse box, in that box there is one fuse that is offset. That position turns the powerport off with the key, align the offset fuse with the rest (in your manual) and the port is always hot.
It should not hurt the car. My brothers Porshe and others sit all winter that way and are fine.
A call to Deltran (Battery Tender) in florida should confirm this.
Very cool, learn something new every day. :). Just went out and checked, sure enough there it is. That will come in handy at the track when I'm trying to keep my phone and such charged between sessions, no more keeping the ignition on accessory.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts