Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys are using for battery tenders. Going to be needing one soon and would like to hear your suggestions on some of the better ones out there. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
289 Posts
been using this for about 2 years

Autozone sells them

·
Registered
507 Posts
Using "Battery Tender" on my motor home and 4 Tender Jr.s on my others. When I had my Challenger with an AGM battery the Jr. model works just fine on it as well.

·
Registered
13,739 Posts
The OP's question made it sound like the OEM battery was an AGM but it's not, just a plain old wet cell battery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Battery Tender brand has been very good. I have used them for years. I have several battery tender jr. around here. One of the larger models on the Airstream.
I have a battery tender jr on the Dodge Ram CTD right now, and it is keeping the two AGM's fully charged perfectly.
I have an older 'Autosport' brand trickel charger I have used on the Lexus and Triumph motorcycle in the past. It's at least 10 years old and works like a champ, I think 'Autosport' parts went out of business a couple years ago.They are not online anymore.

I do have a new 'Suaoki' ICS4 charger, does 6 or 12 volt, and has a LED screen to tell you what its doing. Looks like 4 amp on 12 volt mode max. It came with all the hookup cables and a carry bag.
I haven't used it yet, but it looks well made. It says it is compatible with AGMs and Lithium batteries. made in chiner, hard to get around that these days. There are cheaper ones than the Battery Tender and Suaoki, but I don't like to cheap out on some things.
Hope that helps some,
parrott

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts
I have 2, 3amp 'Battery Tenders'...One for my wifes '98 Jag, that doesn't get much use...and one for my '71 Chevelle SS 454...Highly recommend them...

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The OP's question made it sound like the OEM battery was an AGM but it's not, just a plain old wet cell battery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
This is 100% correct. The reason I thought it was AGM is because looking at replacement batteries for my 5 year old OEM, the better ones (platinum) come up as AGM. Thanks for pointing this out.

Do you connect directly to the battery or the terminals under the hood?

Thanks all for the suggestions as well. B-

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts
This is 100% correct. The reason I thought it was AGM is because looking at replacement batteries for my 5 year old OEM, the better ones (platinum) come up as AGM. Thanks for pointing this out.

Do you connect directly to the battery or the terminals under the hood?

Thanks all for the suggestions as well. B-
I replaced my OEM battery when it crapped out with an Interstate AGM...
MTX-94R H7

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
153 Posts
All,

I put a Battery Tender Plus on my challenger yesterday evening as part of putting the car up on a lift for winter. I placed the tender's clamp contacts on the posts inside the hood, lowered the hood to where it makes first contact, then placed a folded towel under the hood to slightly lift the hood off that first contact point. I laid a towel under where the tender's wire goes over the front end and under the hood - probably just overkill thinking about the vinyl wrap material I had put on the car's paint with the cord laying on it (does the charging wire get warm?). This Battery Tender Plus is a smart product! It has lights to tell you the battery's charging status and is fully automatic - slow charging until fully charged, then switching to trickle maintenance mode.

The challenger had been in the garage since October 5th. I hadn't driven it, but I had started it three times and let it warm up for about 10 minutes each time. When I put the tender on the steady red light came on - battery was below 80% charge. I checked this morning and the red light was on, and a green light was blinking - battery was above 80% but below full charge. I checked a few hours later and steady green light - full charge and in trickle maintenance mode.

What's interesting is that the battery had run down somewhere below 80% capacity - and judging by the time needed to bring it up perhaps significantly lower than that. I appreciate this forum and the experience of posters very much who share the knowledge. I learned about my car's modern electronics - how they slow drain the batteries and knew I needed a tender. With this gizmo I don't even need to put the car into "storage mode". Or...should I?

Best,

Finface

1 - 9 of 9 Posts