Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So upset. Was under the car today installing splash shield. Happened to look up at the passenger side shorty headers and noticed the weld at the ball flange at the outside bolt has completed cracked and broke, leaving a hole just above the ball flange. Looked at the driver's side and the same thing, same place!

Ughhh! So aggravating! I used a torque wrench when installing mid pipes and staggered as I tightened up. This is bull. Sooo...think these things can be rewelded in place? Think Bbk would do anything about this?

The car hasn't been driven since shorties installed. Just a few start ups since cam/lifter work. Full exhaust was hooked up but had dropped catted pipes, waiting for new mid pipes that are on order.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,521 Posts
I have never welded, so I can’t speak to whether or not they can be welded in place. But I did want to point out that the fact that they have cracked welds in the same spot on each side should be used when asking BBK to make it right.

I mean, they might have tried to say it’s not their fault, but to have two separate parts fail in the same spots seems to indicate a problem with their manufacturing process.

if it isn’t a problem on their side, It’s one helluva coincidence that it happened to 100% of their headers that you own, and failed at the same time after the same amount of use.

Reactions: Eldyfig

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
338 Posts
If I understand correctly, the Headers have developed a defect before the car has even been driven. Only a couple of test starts. Is that accurate?

If so, I believe you're in the right to raise hell with the manufacturer or whoever sold them.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. You are correct. Hasn't been driven on road yet. Been getting the tune correct for idling.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
338 Posts
Did you buy recently or have they been sitting on your shelf for a year waiting to get installed?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost a year...December 1st, 2019.

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
I'd look into getting warranty replacements - that's not acceptable to have welds fail pretty much right after installing them and test firing the engine several times.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,111 Posts
1. All BBK products are warranted against any defect in materials or craftsmanship for a period of one year from the date of purchase. These terms apply as long as it has been established that the product in question was installed and used in accordance to all BBK guidelines and was not used for racing or competition purposes.

2. BBK Performance will not be held responsible for any consequential or incidental damages incurred during installation and will not be held responsible for any incidental or labor charges on any products that are defective, warranted, damaged, or parts that were purchased incorrectly. PLEASE NOTE SOME PRODUCT SPECIFICS ARE NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY - SUCH AS ELECTRONICS, COATINGS/FINISHES, BUSHINGS AND HOSES ETC. -
RUST/RUSTING IS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY.

3. If your warranty issue is after the stores replacement or return policy (usually 30 days) – you will need to contact the BBK Performance warranty department directly via e-mail [email protected] to request a warranty return number and warranty approval. BBK will e-mail you a request for a copy of the original product receipt and also a product questionnaire to fill out to help us determine why the BBK product has caused a warranty issue.
The original receipt must show the original date of purchase and it must also be supplied via e-mail along with the product questionnaire or the warranty is null and void. If your part is approved for a warranty return, you will be issued a Return Goods Authorization number (RGA) and the BBK return address to send the part back for inspection.
Please be sure to include your name, return address and contact phone number in the box when you ship the part back for identification purposes. PRINT OFF THE RETURN APPROVAL FORM WE E-MAIL TO YOU AND PUT IN THE BOX IS THE SIMPLEST WAY AS IT CONTAINS ALL YOUR INFORMATION INCLUDING THE RGA # The Item must be shipped back to BBK prepaid via ground shipping. ALL SHIPPING CHARGES ARE CUSTOMERS’ RESPONSIBILITY – NO SHIPPING CHARGES WILL BE REFUNDED. WE WILL PAY THE SHIPPING CHARGES TO SHIP THE ITEM BACK TO YOU.
The return authorization number (RGA) must be clearly marked on the outside of the package in order for our warranty department to process the item. If no RGA is visible – or if package is sent collect freight - package will be refused and sent back to you at your expense. Upon receipt of your warranty return it will be inspected by our BBK warranty engineers. If your BBK Product is determined to be defective and covered by our warranty, the item will be immediately repaired or replaced at no cost to the consumer. PLEASE NOTE: WE DO NOT ISSUE ANY KIND OF PRODUCT REFUNDS ON ANY WARRANTY RETURNS; THIS INCLUDES SHIPPING AND LABOR CHARGES.

Did you register them?

A Guy

·
Registered
217 Posts
You should be good with just a receipt. You’ll probably want to talk with Tim Gilpin ([email protected]). Reason I know is because I had the same problem, though not right away. I sent in an estimate from a shop diagnosing the problem and receipt of purchase. I did not want to have to take them off and send them in for inspection and be without a car. Good thing too (see below).

I was approved for a new pair (they said it is best to replace them both). Trouble is they’ve been out of stock for 3 months. I looked at vendor sites recently and yes they are back ordered. This is for a ceramic coated set.

hard to believe that yours are cracked without use. That tells me that the heat affected zone (HAZ) from welding failed the tube during production.

Reactions: Eldyfig and A Guy

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@A Guy Thanks for the warranty info. I plan to call them Monday morning.

No. I did not register them.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@RT_Kujo I reached out to Tim and have started removing them from engine. They are a time consuming PITA to remove. When I removed the originals, I pulled them out with the heads and I installed the bbk shorties to the heads on the bench.

So I got the passenger side header out today. Two screws left on driver's side. Unbolted the motor mounts, and jacked engine up a little. Is there a certain way I should push engine over so I can have more access to driver's side header?

20201020_203347.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
I installed mine the same way you did. Haven’t installed new ones yet, so I can’t really say. I’m sure someone on CT can though...

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
@RT_Kujo Have you thought about getting the complete flange ring welded all the way around versus the four tack welds from the factory? I'd hate to have another break on a second pair.

I asked Tim from BBK about this and he said the tack welds are sufficient. Their shorties for the SRTs are welded completely around the flange.

Anyone have any input on this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts