Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen that BBK makes a throttle body for the 5.7L Hemi. Any one currently running it in their cars? If so, is it the 85mm or 90mm. Ay complaints, pros cons etc. Was there a noticeable difference in power? Also, what is the size of the stock t-body? Is a tune required after putting the throttle body on? Thanks.

***Current Vehicle***
2010 R/T 6 Speed
Mopar Cat Back
Mopar CAI
Mopar Strut Tower Brace

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Thanks 426!

The BBK TB is a great product and as 426 said we stock and sell these in addition to other options.

The stock tb is 80mm. An 85mm is a great upgrade for a bolt on mod type of car. I mean someone running a tune, Cold Air Intake, Cat back exhaust etc. This can also still be great for those that go further like forced induction, cam etc as well.

The 90mm is more suited for an extensively modded car. IE, a stroker etc, one reason being that to get the most out of a 90mm you will want a port matched intake and custom tuning etc.

So depending which route you are planning to go will help make the decision which size to go with.

For info and pricing you can click here
https://www.speedlogixstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=bbk+charger+throttle

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm running a Mopar CAI and Solo Performance cat-back exhaust, no tune. What kind of power gain would I see with an 85mm TB and a tune?

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
I'm running a Mopar CAI and Solo Performance cat-back exhaust, no tune. What kind of power gain would I see with an 85mm TB and a tune?
We have seen 6-8 RWHP adding an 85mm TB to a stock car with no tune. So I would estimate at least that pickup, with a tune you will see alot more...a canned tune picks up 15-20 RWHP on a stock car

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
A TB does not give very good bang for the buck in my opinion. There are plenty of other mods I'd do ahead of that unless you've got a big inch stroker or blower.

A 90mm TB will also require some custom work on your stock setup.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
A TB does not give very good bang for the buck in my opinion. There are plenty of other mods I'd do ahead of that unless you've got a big inch stroker or blower.

A 90mm TB will also require some custom work on your stock setup.
I agree on the 90 and tuning. However for the price I don't really think it is a bad bang for the buck...really the only mod for the same $$ that will give you more HP would be a tuner. All relative, for some folks it makes sense for others it may not. I know I was surprised the first time we did a back to back test on a TB, how much we actually gained on the dyno and track

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have the 90mm BBk TB installed, Mopar CAI, BBk shorty headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Diablo CAI 91 oct tune, since the 90mm installed, HUGE difference!!

I have had multiple people say, "man she really woke up"...get it!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Von, did you have to do any modifications to install the 90? I thought i had seen a post stating it would not just bolt right up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the 85mm with CAI and 91 oct predator.
The noticeable difference is there is no hesitation when getting on the go pedal.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Von, did you have to do any modifications to install the 90? I thought i had seen a post stating it would not just bolt right up.
It will bolt right up but it would be pointless with a stock intake the opening at the intake is smaller then 90mm. Stick with a 85mm-87mm TB no intake porting needed with that setup. Also consider a ported TB we are showing the same amount of gains as BBK and you could save alittle coin.

Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Bodies

·
Registered
104 Posts
but with a ported stocker you are only widening the opening of the tb, not all the way through. correct? gotta stop at the butterfly? with a cast or billet you are getting 85mm all the way through.
so to use a 90 you would just have to port-match the intake to the tb.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wonder how well this (85mm) would work in conjunction with the AFR Shaker ram air setup I've got coming. I would think it would enhance performance a bit more.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
but with a ported stocker you are only widening the opening of the tb, not all the way through. correct? gotta stop at the butterfly? with a cast or billet you are getting 85mm all the way through.
so to use a 90 you would just have to port-match the intake to the tb.
True we port the front and back the butterfly area is smoothed and contoured but if you get the same results and save money does it really matter?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did the BBK just cause I had some money sitting in my paypal account. It did seem to help throttle response some. Not sure outside of that. Also, with everything these days, look around!!! I paid a whole lot less than some of the deals I have seen posted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Take a look at PWR Andy's finding on larger TB's, some where in his discussion he said that the 85mm is the perfect match for the stock 5.7L. And also mentioned that you would increase air flow which in return creates "POWER". A all around good bolt up increase in HP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts