Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever I "race" it really isn't more than a brief wide open throttle, one gear shift-maybe two, then it's over. Literally 8-10 seconds worth of straight line performance. That's just me though. That being said, I pulled along side of a new GT this past Tuesday, wide county type road. He's in the right, me in the left. He's not even glancing at my car. Me, I ALWAYS look. I like cars. I'm doing 60 in 6th and to get his attention I rev match 6th to 3rd. Yup, he "appeared" to wake up. He gets on it as do I and as I shift 3-4 he falls on his face. I put it in 5th coast, let him come up and we laugh thumbs up and he exits as I do the one after.
Now for my loss. Today same scenario. Red Stingray, top down. He goes by me. Im up on his left, he doesn't glance. I really want to see the difference in a thousand pounds of machine bad! So what do I do, my usual. Rev match 6th to 3rd. Man it was great, he really was surprised! He looked at me like I'm crazy and F-ing hammers it!!! Man that vette sounded F-ing sweet man!! Yeah he's faster, he didn't walk away and embarrass me but clearly faster. 8-10 seconds later we are off the gas. I pull up next to him, we are doing 55-60, we laughing like school kids, and I shout, "what year?" He comes back "'14!" I'm like nice he said thanks nod of the head and we left with me still laughing out loud with sheer enjoyment.
I can't stress enough that it's taking me longer by far to type this out than those "races" actually lasted. Quick straight line bursts. Thought some of you would like a gauge of three very different cars in my opinion. Take care all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: Elwood617

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody want to add what I was really looking for as: power to weight ratios or acceleration factors from 55-60 rolls?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Damn New Yorkers! Lol kidding, anyway just some car guys having fun! Been there, done that

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I'll play Trolls advocate here.No way you outrun a new GT they have 15 more HP now.You must have got the jump!He didn't know how to drive!
Sounds like fun.What model Vette was it? Just curious.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll play Trolls advocate here.No way you outrun a new GT they have 15 more HP now.You must have got the jump!He didn't know how to drive!
Sounds like fun.What model Vette was it? Just curious.

Man it's hard to say, had the little stingray on the fenders, he said it was a '14 but I don't know what model. My neighbor has a 12 spoke wheel, which I know is part of an upgraded performance package and the one under that is a ten spoke. Obviously I couldn't tell. He did have the carbon fiber spoiler and hood. Bro it sounded real nice, I'm sorry to admit-don't tell any one I said that lol. I mean, I've got Magnaflow competition cat backs on mine, maybe tonight he's saying the same thing to his vette buds? Lol.

Reactions: Bad daytona

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,074 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Well done and way to represent! It's fun to get into a few tussles from time to time :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
So about how many car lengths did the Vette pull on you? I did the same friendly highway race against my buddy in his Viper GTS, he got me by three/four car lengths from 70 to 140. He later told me his new clutch was slipping under WOT, explains why I got the jump on him, but it was short lived.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
I'll play Trolls advocate here.No way you outrun a new GT they have 15 more HP now.
Uh...teddyp has a 392. The GT doesn't make 485HP. ;)

Reactions: Bad daytona

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So about how many car lengths did the Vette pull on you? I did the same friendly highway race against my buddy in his Viper GTS, he got me by three/four car lengths from 70 to 140. He later told me his new clutch was slipping under WOT, explains why I got the jump on him, but it was short lived.

I would say starting dead even at 60 MPH, me in third, RPM approx 43-4500 we nailed it and he immediately pulled a solid car length, gradually going to two, and we let off.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stingray - 460hp - 465 tq - 3444 lbs. 7.48 hp to weight ratio

Yea, what he said!! How close was it? Lengths?

Man that's a solid 800 pound difference in the Vetts favor with only a 10 HP difference to the 392. We ended up letting off at approx a two perhaps going to three car length diff in his favor, but he was still leaving me. Two totally different cars? Undoubtedly. I just wanted to see how the two interacted with each other. Again, 800 pounds is huge. It was cool. Did I mention I smoked a GT? Lol. I know, I know-I'm supposed too! Lol. Take care bro.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I see you don't have any headers yet. Just as a point of curiosity I will mention this to you. A few years ago at the local dirt track some of the guys went from 1 3/4 inch primary headers to 1 5/8 inch on some of the 383's. I don't know about larger motors. They were coming off the turn at about 3500 -4000 rpm pulling to 6500 or so. The 1 5/8 inch headers were working better than the larger ones. They were enabling the engine to pull harder and faster iirc. I see all the long tubes are of BIG primary sizes for the 392 and even the 5.7. They might need that big of header. I don't know. I just thought I would mention it. You or someone else might get the chance to find out if it matters if you want to do so. I will check into it again to make sure my memory is right. But I am certain enough in my belief to mention it here.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
I see you don't have any headers yet. Just as a point of curiosity I will mention this to you. A few years ago at the local dirt track some of the guys went from 1 3/4 inch primary headers to 1 5/8 inch on some of the 383's. I don't know about larger motors. They were coming off the turn at about 3500 -4000 rpm pulling to 6500 or so. The 1 5/8 inch headers were working better than the larger ones. They were enabling the engine to pull harder and faster iirc. I see all the long tubes are of BIG primary sizes for the 392 and even the 5.7. They might need that big of header. I don't know. I just thought I would mention it. You or someone else might get the chance to find out if it matters if you want to do so. I will check into it again to make sure my memory is right. But I am certain enough in my belief to mention it here.
FWIW, the 6.1L and 392 come with shorty headers from the factory, 1-3/4" primaries.

Reactions: teddyp

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW, the 6.1L and 392 come with shorty headers from the factory, 1-3/4" primaries.

Your correct about the shorties-not sure on diameter. I also believe LTs in the end will scavenge more, producing more torque.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You know it's ironic you mention this. I've been researching long tubes for a bit now. Some say only go 1 7/8 if your going forced induction. I'm not going FI. So others say go with 1 3/4 so I get more torque. Some also say the difference in torque between the two especially with a 392 is negligible. That being said, I know we r off topic, I'm researching cam and long tubes. Any input in headers or the combo I'm looking for I will gladly take. Thanks brother.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just wanted to throw out a little food for thought. Didn't want to get off topic. Another reason I mentioned it was because those stroker engines were pushing 500 or more hp. So I was thinking similar hp similar displacement the two engines should at least in my thinking want a similar size header to make optimum power.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just wanted to throw out a little food for thought. Didn't want to get off topic. Another reason I mentioned it was because those stroker engines were pushing 500 or more hp. So I was thinking similar hp similar displacement the two engines should at least in my thinking want a similar size header to make optimum power.

Your advice and any more is welcomed. Thank you. What do you think? 392 with bolt ons I'm pushing 430 to the wheels. It's time for cam and headers. What size primaries would you do. I'm NEVER going power adders.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.