Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I made a post about this a while back but didn't include any videos. Car is a 2011 Dodge Challenger RT/classic 6 speed. Whipple is the 2.9L running 8lbs of boost. Please watch this video before you buy a whipple. They apparently don't all make this noise, but if yours does, Whipple will not do anything about it.

When we asked them about this, they said it was normal harmonics due to the belt being on the A/C. They said they have two cars on their property that are just like this. So much for showing it off....

You can hear when the AC disengages it goes relatively quiet, but you can still hear some knocking around. My installer also bypassed the s/c and in that video it's completely quiet, other than the usual slight hemi tick.

https://youtu.be/8iqGDLZjWJA

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
That mofo would be coming right back off that is total and complete BS... That sounds horrible!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the same issue on a 2009 SRT8 6.1L and yes when one does the initial startup it can be somewhat alarming to hear what sounds like "rocks" in the supercharger especially when the AC is on. I immediately fired off a video to Whipple and was also told that it was common on the Dodge engines with the 2.9 Whipple. Would I have bought it again due to the noise? Not sure as it is just annoying. At a minimum, Whipple should advise in the instructions that this might be the case (just my opinion). I also have a startup squeak that goes away at 2min. I have changed all the pulleys/idlers and power steering pump with no change.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That mofo would be coming right back off that is total and complete BS... That sounds horrible!
It seems to run fine, but wish i wasn't one of the unlucky ones with this noise. As soon as you get the revs up past idle the noise stops, and you can't really hear it much from the cabin, but it sure is loud and embarrassing with the hood open.

Response from whipple when the video on my first post was sent to them:

This is normal. Especially on the 5.7’s. We have a 2011 5.7 Challenger and a 2013 5.7 Durango here that both do this and we have had the blowers on and off these cars multiple times thinking it was the blowers. We have even swapped the blowers with the one off of our 09 6.1 300 (which was not as loud as the others) and the noise was the same when installed on the Challenger. It has to do something with the AC being in the same line and when on, changes the harmonics/load and transfers the sound through the blower, most likely through the double gear set in the rear of the blower.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So a magnuson would not make the same noise? That scares me away from wanting a whipple.....
Per my installer, he has not seen a magnuson do that and he has installed tons. But i did have somebody in another post tell me his magnuson does have a similar noise.. although that was with my noise described in text, i don't think people realize how bad it is without the video.

i don't want to tell you 100% a maggie won't do that, but if i could do it over again, i would go maggie (and i'd wait for the 2650 personally).

Yep, that's unacceptable! Sure changes my attitude towards Whipple now.
yeah well not everyone has this problem, but i guess it happens enough for whipple to call it "normal." i've read posts on other forums, other cars (mustangs and GTs) that have a similar problem with whipple.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
My maggie made some rattle noise when I first installed it but I think it was due to me having to swap out the nozzle. The unit I bought had a nozzle the was short by almost 3/4 inch and instead of API sending a replacement SC assembly they sent just a nozzle. There is a 6 pin (3 pins on nozzle and 3 on rotor side) coupler that is made from hard plastic which makes it a little difficult to bolt up flush. At initial start up is sounded like gears meshing on an small cement mixer. Sent a clip to API and I was told to wait for the coupler to reseat. Drove it around and eventually the noise went away. Now the maggie is pretty quiet with or without the AC on. There was a recent post about the higher output 180/220 amp alternators having a mechanical clutch to reduce belt slap/vibration and the 160 amp units have a simple pulley. Could that be another key to the noise?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
try another compressor....

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Absolutely no way I would put up with that. I see others with this and it don’t sound like that in the same cars. I call bs. I have spent a mint on mine and if mine showed like that I would pull it off and hand deliver it back to whipple with videos in hand. Period without reservation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Wow, that is bad! Finally watched the vid on my desktop an that rattle would make baby Jesus cry. Even with the AC off you get a hint of the rattle. Sounds like something has too much play.

Below is the vid I took when my maggie was first started after a nozzle swap and I thought it was loud.

https://vimeo.com/245545784

·
Registered
78 Posts
i think yall blowing this way out of proportion, my whipple does it with A/C on at idle. If it really bugs you turn the A/C off and roll down the windows at idle. in my opinion i think its rediculous that youd let something this minor steer you away from the best PD blower on the market.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
I don't know man, that noise is pretty obnoxious. The hellcats are also a compressor type supercharger like the whipple and I have not heard them make that noise...although I only have been exposed to 3 hellcat vehicles in person. Could you images if hellcats made that noise with the AC on?!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't know man, that noise is pretty obnoxious. The hellcats are also a compressor type supercharger like the whipple and I have not heard them make that noise...although I only have been exposed to 3 hellcat vehicles in person. Could you images if hellcats made that noise with the AC on?!
Except the hellcat runs 2 belts. so the blower runs off a seperate belt that does not contact the A/C pulley. with our cars running only one belt there is nothing you can do about it. The whipples do it, the maggies do it, i have no idea but im sure the KB's likely do it as well.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
They also run a clutch/damper on the SC (as a side note, I read the crank is pinned which surprised me). My maggie doesn't do it...at least not yet as it only has a couple 1000 miles on it. But then again, I have not used the AC that often as I love to hear the roar of the exhaust. Even with his AC off there is a faint clink...clink you can hear in the vid. If this is normal, I don't understand why SC manufacturers do not disclose it somewhere in their advertising?

Added image of the hellcat belt setup
http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2014/12/dodge-370ci-v-8-supercharged-hellcat-hemi-engine-accessory-belt-close-up.jpg

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If its doing that when the AC clutch is engaged then it may be the clutch getting worn out on the compressor. It really does not sound like its the supercharger. I know a few Whipples have a unique rattle noise at idle but that's not it. If the AC clutch is going out then it may not be a bad idea to replace the stock balancer with a ATI to reduce any other vibrations. You might grab the AC clutch by hand when the engine is cold to see if it has any slop to it.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
The whipples do it, the maggies do it, i have no idea but im sure the KB's likely do it as well.
Over 10k miles on my Maggie and no it doesn't do it, air on or off. Makes zero sense that it would do it on one
vehicle and not on another. I certainly wouldn't be happy if my Maggie did that! I'd be figuring out how to fix it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My car had 7500miles when the Whipple was installed so I doubt that the compressor was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
that sounds like Diesel engine injector noise...wow

1 - 20 of 57 Posts