Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend, I took the 2020 Scatpack wide body out for a Sunday spin with my daughter, who was visiting. I have found the Challenger to be more stable and less prone to wheel spin than my 2018 Mustang GT. So, to induce a bit of wheel spin, I flipped off traction control and applied a liberal dose of throttle while turning left onto a two lane road in Wake Forest. Oh my, the big black 392 got semi-side ways in a big hurry. The right rear was heading off the road and the nose was pointing into the oncoming lane. Talk about instant respect and a feeling of stupidity! I don't need that much excitement at age 64!

I backed off the throttle, turned into the skid and prayed that he Lord would watch out this this likable, but silly, old fool! Like a thoroughbred Budweiser Clydesdale, the big Dodge righted itself and down the road we went, with me a bit wiser and more cautious. My daughter laughed and said she had closed her eyes and trusted in me to right the ship. Sometimes luck is better than wisdom! I suspect that the true measure of my experience was that even at age 64, one can still learn a thing or two and be humbled, without creating a disaster. I have a new respect for traction control and my big, Pitch Black, Dodge.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Over the weekend, I took the 2020 Scatpack wide body out for a Sunday spin with my daughter, who was visiting. I have found the Challenger to be more stable and less prone to wheel spin than my 2018 Mustang GT. So, to induce a bit of wheel spin, I flipped off traction control and applied a liberal dose of throttle while turning left onto a two lane road in Wake Forest. Oh my, the big black 392 got semi-side ways in a big hurry. The right rear was heading off the road and the nose was pointing into the oncoming lane. Talk about instant respect and a feeling of stupidity! I don't need that much excitement at age 64!

I backed off the throttle, turned into the skid and prayed that he Lord would watch out this this likable, but silly, old fool! Like a thoroughbred Budweiser Clydesdale, the big Dodge righted itself and down the road we went, with me a bit wiser and more cautious. My daughter laughed and said she had closed her eyes and trusted in me to right the ship. Sometimes luck is better than wisdom! I suspect that the true measure of my experience was that even at age 64, one can still learn a thing or two and be humbled, without creating a disaster. I have a new respect for traction control and my big, Pitch Black, Dodge.
Lol a very " Jesus take the wheel" moment ha?

That is pretty awesome to hear & congratulations on not losing it on your 1st shot .

It sounds a little like when I took the salesman for a ride at 2 different dealerships but I did it on purpose .

I tell everyone that when my 11yr old son & I get out together we are both 11 but I have a license.

A little fun with dad in the picture.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,090 Posts
I wouldn’t be so hard on yourself with the “stupid” reference. It would be better to say “uninitiated” I think. Nobody was hurt, car not damaged, Learned another life lesson, and your daughter reaffirmed he confidence in you when things get hairy! Thats a lot of positives from a one time experience. I’ve never had the inclination to deactivate the Traction control yet, and your story has given me something to think about. Another positive!

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
Good thing it wasn't a wet road... Yeah just call it a turn test and chalk it up in turns with HP no traction = Wild Ride....

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Before I got the challenger, I'd never done a burnout, never broken tires loose on anything on pavement. So I approached it very slowly in controlled environments. Even with that, I found myself still learning to anticipate when what it takes to break traction and when. Obviously in wet conditions it's pretty easy. In heavy rain it's nearly impossible to accelerate aggressively. What has surprised me though is how drastic the difference in traction can be in different types/conditions of dry pavement. Some pavement is flat out difficult to break them loose. Some is much easier. I didn't really know that was a thing. Consequently it's left me surprised a few times started to get sideways when I didn't expect it.

I just chalk all this up to inexperience though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I always turn my Traction Control off when I get into my car and I am also 64.
Its the best way to get into all Sport Mode for steering and traction without going into the apps.............JT

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts

A Guy

Reactions: FrostyOwl

·
Registered
307 Posts
Congrat's - I'm surprised you had to turn off traction control though, my 19 WB Scat would break lose for fun little turns like that with no problems. Not long burnouts without it off, but spirited driving absolutely no problem to slide it sideways.

The Hellcat is about the same but in every gear. Sometimes I get a nice one and then TC kicks in and I'm like damn why don't I turn that off! Guess I'm scared lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts