Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 40f, it never does this..and above that never, however on any really cold morning (35f and below) it makes this strange "honk" sound when it first starts up, after that the rest of the day it never does it, but just wondering if this is normal...included a vid to show, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Do you have Aflac insurance?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
What a strange issue, never heard that before.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I did not hear anything odd in that startup.

In subfreezing temperatures mine makes a bit of a buzz on a cold start.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Maybe I'm confusing some with the way I'm describing the sound, after the car honks twice (normal horn making a sound as it's remote-starting) the car cranks, as it completes the crank cycle and starts, it makes this ka-honk, mechanical cold sound RIGHT as it cranks over that sounds like the engine just sucked up a geese, it happens right as the car cranks...exactly 6 sec, right when it starts and the amber lights come on

It's not taking awhile to start up or anything, it does it within a second or two, but when below 40f and in the 30's it makes that strange sound that I NEVER hear other-wise...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't hear it in the video but it might give you some peace of mind if you took off your serpentine belt and started it. If it doesn't happen then, you at least know it is something external like your power steering pump or a tensioning idler.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I used to live in Marquette, Michigan for much of my life. Trust me when I say that EVERY vehicle I ever owned honked at startup when it was frigid out. It is NOT the horn that honks, but I was never able to track it down. I never knew what it was, but my Buick Regal did it, my Pontiac Trans Am did it, my new Chevy pick-up did it, my old Ford Torino did it. Since moving to NC, I haven't heard it once, but in Michigan, I heard it EVERY morning.

Nothing to worry about, as long as it isn't doing it when it's not cold out. I'm surprised the Canada boys don't hear it.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
That's exactly how my car does when I remote start it. Lights flash 2X and horn honks 2X. I would guess it's got something to do with that circuit. You can turn most of that stuff off in EVIC but it shouldn't do it on it's own.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Maybe I'm confusing some with the way I'm describing the sound, after the car honks twice (normal horn making a sound as it's remote-starting) the car cranks, as it completes the crank cycle and starts, it makes this ka-honk, mechanical cold sound RIGHT as it cranks over that sounds like the engine just sucked up a geese, it happens right as the car cranks...exactly 6 sec, right when it starts and the amber lights come on

It's not taking awhile to start up or anything, it does it within a second or two, but when below 40f and in the 30's it makes that strange sound that I NEVER hear other-wise...

I listened to it several times and I finally heard what I think you are referring to. Mine makes a similar sound, as I described above, when it is below freezing. My assumption is that it is normal.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
The noise I always used to hear was clearly NOT the horn honking, it was something else.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The "honk" he refers to is not the horn. If he had started the car in the "normal" fashion as opposed to the remote start it would have been easier to hear the noise he means. To me it's more like a brief buzz and it happens just as the engine catches.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Sorry when he said honk and I heard the 2 horns that's what I thought we were talking about. It don't get that cold often enough here to know if mine does it or not if it only happens around freezing and below and if it is that cold I use the remote start and let it warm up before going out in the cold.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Had another thought. Let it get cold and after it honks at you on start up, try turning your front wheels all the way against the stops and see if it makes the same noise. I am guessing it is your steering pump with cold oil. I had a Dodge pickup that had a noisy steering pump in cold weather at start up, changed out to synthetic oil in the steering pump to quiet it down. But the temps had to be colder than what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'll try the steering thing, it could be that I always hear about strange noises from DODGE steering pumps, guess it is just a cold thing, was just making sure it wasn't some weird sign of a belt weakness or something else that the cold weather makes even more "brittle" and creates that strange turn over sound, thanks guys, seems I'll only have this sound in the winter at least, but just wanted to make sure it was fine, none of our other cars do it so either it's a dodge pump thing, or it's a hemi thing I guess (like that lovely lifter noise)

I would have started the car up normally, but inside the car it is much more dampened and the noise is way quieter, that's why I did it outside. I could get another vid of anyone needs it..not like the cold weather is going away tommorow

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I'll try the steering thing, it could be that I always hear about strange noises from DODGE steering pumps, guess it is just a cold thing, was just making sure it wasn't some weird sign of a belt weakness or something else that the cold weather makes even more "brittle" and creates that strange turn over sound, thanks guys, seems I'll only have this sound in the winter at least, but just wanted to make sure it was fine, none of our other cars do it so either it's a dodge pump thing, or it's a hemi thing I guess (like that lovely lifter noise)

I would have started the car up normally, but inside the car it is much more dampened and the noise is way quieter, that's why I did it outside. I could get another vid of anyone needs it..not like the cold weather is going away tommorow
I could see it being the power steering pump if the power steering fluid is getting so cold that the pump is cavitating on start-up... but (for me) it did it at almost every COLD start, and the duration was always the exact same, about 1/2 second. It never had a different pitch or different tone, sounded the exact same every time. But again, it had to be pretty darn cold...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok I'm bumping this as I just recorded it this morning on the FIRST start and it was 28f...this one is loud as heck, it always does it on the FIRST start of the day when it's cold..never again throughout the day.
This one is SUPER clear so everyone should know what I'm talking about, also took out the "full" honk honk sequence of remote start...please tell me what you think, I just can't think of what would make it make this sound due to the cold...
Clearly it's because of the cold...but that doesn't sound good...

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Wow, that is a weird, and loud sound. I've never heard that on my Challenger R/T, and before winter hit I've started it at temperatures in the 20s with no such sounds.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Yes, that 2nd video definitely brings it out. It's almost like you are putting us on, and somebody is blowing a party favor as you start the car, but I'm sure I would be concerned if my car made that sound, too.

Maybe next time you should open the hood, and have somebody else start the car while you stand over the engine bay to better locate the sound?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts