Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I had a buddy help me with my oil change on my t/a 392 I have a 3 ton jack so it's big and we weren't sure where to lift the car up from well we picked a spot and my buddy began jacking up the car and it bent the metal pretty good so please tell me did I just royally F up my car please see pick to show where we bent the metal I haven't had a chance to take pics of the actual damage it's where I circled in the pic thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Look in your owners manual for the jacking points. It would have been helpful before the damage was done.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Wish I had some good news for ya here, but the Challenger doesn't have an actual frame. The area you circled is not a lift point. Wish I had a magic wand here, but whatever damage you have created is permanent. Can you show us a picture of the actual damage?

The picture you did show shows two of the lift points. The other two (for the front) are shown below, though I recommend a ZL1 add ons lift pad ( https://zl1addons.com/collections/dodge-challenger-jack-lift-pads/products/challenger-front-lift-pads-coming-soon ) before jacking to protect the metal flange.

I made my own lift pads below

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
I have lifted nearly every one of my 12 Challengers on that same spot, more towards the front, (just behind those plastic panels) for the front without ever damaging a single car. I just used a good piece of 2x4 on my 3-ton jack to distribute the weight a bit on that member.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I was so surprised how fast it just bent in
At the spot you jacked it from was closer to the middle of the car so almost 2,000 lbs right there vs a corner of perhaps 1,000-1,200 lbs. It's still just boxed sheet metal there. At that point you are lifting the rear tire as well. You didn't do any kind of real damage, it's just surface, superficial, don't worry about it. You can cause way more damage running over something and numerous shops have caused damage from lifting a Challenger the wrong way. I bet most owners don't know it has happened to them unless they go under and look.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
I’ve never jacked up a car to change the oil, ramps get it up high enough but the car is still holding it’s own weight. some jacks have dished cups while others have a flat plate. It looks like the raised “teeth” is what pushed the metal in.

·
Registered
959 Posts
That actually is structural damage, but it won't cause any structural problems.

That's the trailing end of the front frame rail. If that came into a collision shop, it would be non repairable and require replacement.

I know it's just a dent but that is roughly $15,000 in damage.

I'm what you call, a collision repair professional.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
15k? That's all? If it were me, I'd total the car. As a matter of fact, we'll give you a great price for it if ya wanna get rid of it quick before the whole car completely falls apart.

On a more serious note, if you live in the rust belt, you might wanna slap a little paint on the area where it's scarred up to help you sleep better.

But do consider getting a set of lift pads for it.

...did you look under there and find the little triangles as mentioned above? Those are indeed the lift points. I always place a 2x4x 10'' long... on top of my jack when lifting at those points.

·
Registered
959 Posts
15k? That's all? If it were me, I'd total the car. As a matter of fact, we'll give you a great price for it if ya wanna get rid of it quick before the whole car completely falls apart.

On a more serious note, if you live in the rust belt, you might wanna slap a little paint on the area where it's scarred up to help you sleep better.

But do consider getting a set of lift pads for it.

...did you look under there and find the little triangles as mentioned above? Those are indeed the lift points. I always place a 2x4x 10'' long... on top of my jack when lifting at those points.

In professional collision repair, OEM procedures must be followed. Assuming that is one piece of high strength steel, like many are, that damage would require rail replacement.

All the front sheet metal, engine, transmission, exhaust, engine cradle and suspension, seats, carpet, and associated parts must be removed.

$15,000 would be a reasonable guess.

You may find this interesting. A new Corvette totaled from similar damage.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a12240997/this-corvette-was-totaled-thanks-to-one-microscopic-crack/

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
There was a guy that received his Demon and while at upfitter installing the wheels and tires, they did the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Well....this is a good example of why I bought a lift 20 years ago and vowed never to lie under a car on may back again....I have a floor jack that has a thick layer of dust on it.

But it does bring up a point that continues to bother me....why does a Challenger weigh so much? Aluminum hood, light engine, thin sheetmetal all over. Yet the car is still heavy.....

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
That actually is structural damage, but it won't cause any structural problems.

That's the trailing end of the front frame rail. If that came into a collision shop, it would be non repairable and require replacement.

I know it's just a dent but that is roughly $15,000 in damage.

I'm what you call, a collision repair professional.
Hey there "collision repair professional"! Maybe you could hook him up with the repair hmmm? Maybe knock off $500 so he will only have to pay $14,500 because we are all friendly people on here but that jack pad teeth sure put some mighty small dents in that frame rail/support which now has to be completely replaced!!! lol
Now, had this part been seriously compromised, cracked, split or ripped off yeah, it's gonna prolly cost $15K like you said.

You are a good dude, I have enjoyed your other posts but this post really stirred me the wrong way, are you suggesting it should be replaced??

I am what you call "not amused", well ok, maybe "slightly amused" lol!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hey there "collision repair professional"! Maybe you could hook him up with the repair hmmm? Maybe knock off $500 so he will only have to pay $14,500 because we are all friendly people on here but that jack pad teeth sure put some mighty small dents in that frame rail/support which now has to be completely replaced!!! lol
Now, had this part been seriously compromised, cracked, split or ripped off yeah, it's gonna prolly cost $15K like you said.

You are a good dude, I have enjoyed your other posts but this post really stirred me the wrong way, are you suggesting it should be replaced??

I am what you call "not amused", well ok, maybe "slightly amused" lol!

Read my first post. I said it won't cause any problems.

But let's say, you ran over a rock and brought your car into a Collision Repair Shop with an insurance claim for that damage. Then it would need to be replaced because technically that damage can not be repaired.

It doesn't bother my that you don't understand modern collision repair. I probably wouldn't understand whatever you do for a living.

If it were my car, it would ignore the dent.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Read my first post. I said it won't cause any problems.

But let's say, you ran over a rock and brought your car into a Collision Repair Shop with an insurance claim for that damage. Then it would need to be replaced because technically that damage can not be repaired.

It doesn't bother my that you don't understand modern collision repair. I probably wouldn't understand whatever you do for a living.

If it were my car, it would ignore the dent.
Gotcha! That's exactly how I feel about it too. Thanks brother, I didn't mean to sound like a complete a$$-hat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts