Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in the best crank for my 1000 to 1200 HP whipple 4.5 L boosted motor build. Let me know what good crankshafts you all would suggest?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,898 Posts
I am interested in the best crank for my 1000 to 1200 HP whipple 4.5 L boosted motor build. Let me know what good crankshafts you all would suggest?
Scat makes a good crank. I just read an article about them and was pretty impressed with their quality controls, but I'd say that for your power level, I'd say a Manley rotating assembly is a good bet. Molnar makes a crank too for the Gen III's too.

Crankshafts - SCAT Crankshafts

http://www.manleyperformance.com/dl/cat/cranks.pdf (pages 13-14)

MOLNAR TECHNOLOGIES

My suggestion is that you talk to some builders who've done Mopar builds in your intended power level and see what they use and go from there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Funny you say talk with your engine builder I'm kind of in a delima at the moment. I in trusted in A2speed judgment in what they told me about Barton and now since A2speed sent my motor 2 Barton. Barton says they choose not to discuss my motor with me and say talk with A2speed and get updates. It's been 4 months now and all I have been told from A2speed is pistons have been ordered and we are waiting on those.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to just pay A2 for taking the motor out and anything else they have worked on amd find someone who can put me in the loop on my build and make sure we are making forward progress and everyone is on the same page. My other concern is the crank in my motor has the 4.200 " Compstar crank and it could possibly break at 1000 to 1200 HP. I'm really trying 2 bite my tongue and wait 4 a response from A2 on everything but I feel like they don't really care at this point. I'm gonna give them 1 more week 2 give some type update on this b4 I pull the plug and find someone I can work with on getting the motor and 4.5 L in the car

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FreddyG thanks for the info on the cranks I was also reading info on the Scat cranks and I was pretty impressed by them. I will go and read on the others you suggested also.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,898 Posts
Funny you say talk with your engine builder I'm kind of in a delima at the moment. I in trusted in A2speed judgment in what they told me about Barton and now since A2speed sent my motor 2 Barton. Barton says they choose not to discuss my motor with me and say talk with A2speed and get updates. It's been 4 months now and all I have been told from A2speed is pistons have been ordered and we are waiting on those.
My suggestion is that if it's been four months and they just ordered pistons, I'd suggest finding a different builder. I know that things are busy right now with racing season starting and stuff, but four months to get pistons is unacceptable. Heck, in four months, that motor should've been done already, even if you have to send the block out for machine work (not do it in house). Assembly can be done in a day or two (once they get started on it).

You might want to look into Arrington or HHP or someone like that. They have built some high powered Mopars and have a Great reputation too.

Another option is to call Luke from Steve White about this or if they can build you something else. After all, he races a Challenger and knows his stuff. They have a stellar reputation too and would probably take your build more seriously.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f194/hellcat-bge-new-392-6-4l-fully-forged-short-block-high-boost-636666/

The thing is, that it's built by A2Speed / Ray Barton (the same peeps putting yours together), but the one at Steve White may be done already and sitting there waiting for you. Just food for thought.

FreddyG thanks for the info on the cranks I was also reading info on the Scat cranks and I was pretty impressed by them. I will go and read on the others you suggested also.
You're Welcome. :cheers:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No apparently they from what I was told ordered the pistons back when but they have not come in yet. I had A2speed do me a thottle body and some other work before and they did good work last year. I also had my car at Arrington originally and they did some things good and some things were not that good 'motor build'. Also arrington is no longer in business now. I am almost very leery to deal with any shop at this point.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,898 Posts
No apparently they from what I was told ordered the pistons back when but they have not come in yet. I had A2speed do me a thottle body and some other work before and they did good work last year. I also had my car at Arrington originally and they did some things good and some things were not that good 'motor build'. Also arrington is no longer in business now. I am almost very leery to deal with any shop at this point.
I didn't know Arrington was out of business. Sorry for the bad info. I also didn't know that it took that long to make a set of pistons.

I'd still recommend sending an e-mail or calling Luke at Steve White Motors. He races his Challenger and knows ALOT about the right way to build these cars. Quite possibly he can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My big question now is who are the other big engine builders in the business besides Barton?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,743 Posts
Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How would you all feel if the shop you took your car to told you that they sent your motor off to Barton in January Stuart @ A2speed tells me this... Then I just got thru emailing with his dad only to find out the motor hasn't left A2speed and they have been setting on my motor all this time. I'm [email protected] What can be done about this? I do have emails of him stating they were waiting on Barton and sayING Barton had just received a batch they ordered right before mine. It's no wonder Ray Barton referred me back to A2speed when I asked him for status updates.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I would pull the build and get my money back NOW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,898 Posts
How would you all feel if the shop you took your car to told you that they sent your motor off to Barton in January Stuart @ A2speed tells me this... Then I just got thru emailing with his dad only to find out the motor hasn't left A2speed and they have been setting on my motor all this time. I'm [email protected] What can be done about this? I do have emails of him stating they were waiting on Barton and sayING Barton had just received a batch they ordered right before mine. It's no wonder Ray Barton referred me back to A2speed when I asked him for status updates.
I'd feel the same way that you do......Really ticked off!

I'm pretty sure that your build is by no means cheap and you're spending quite a bit of money on it and to be given the run around and excuses wouldn't be acceptable to me!

As far as what I'd do, I'd do what us1champ said below. ↓

I think that you're given them ample time to at least get started and in reality, your build should've been finished if you started in January. They dropped the ball there and just keep giving you excuses.

I would pull the build and get my money back NOW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pulling the plug on it exactly. Wow its been interesting.
I think that you made a good choice. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
it is amazing to me the lack of companies that care about anything.. i get stuff happens. but if you decide to go into business for any reason. and under any type of business if you don't care enough about that business to take care of the people paying you then why have the business?

it seams the automotive world is just as full of them as any other business. i would recomend getting ahold of livernois in michigan.. they have really sank teeth into the dodge market and from what i can tell seam to care about builds and what happens. and produce good quality products.

a friend has his chevy ss done and he seams happy

·
Registered
375 Posts
Get out now if you can.

I spent 11grand at A2Speed last year for upgrades and not a single thing went as planned. they didn't tell me their adjustable coilovers would sqeak and make noise going over any bump, and the only feedback they gave on adjusting them was turn to the right to increase and left to decrease. They installed a fore fuel system and didn't verify air/fuel like i requested, so after driving 2hours to Rockingham my car was 8 miles per hour slower... yeah air/fuel of 9.5 at WOT hurts performance just a little. I requested the air/fuel verification because they did the original tune on my shortblock build and I was seeing airfuel of 13.8 at wot on another shops dyno. I asked A2Speed for the original dyno showing airfuel but they would never provide it. I spent extra for upgraded lines on the Fore system and still have a gas smell in my car when it sits for more than an hour. I had an SHR tranmission and converter installed, i was curious about how well the original held up so I asked Don to have SHR let him know what it looked like when they received my core, never heard anything back from Don, I did contact SHR and they said the transmission didn't have any issues. I never had a CEL or limpmode before A2Speed did this round of upgrades... I have to clear multiple CEL's every day and still go in limp mode a few times a week. I've long since given up contacting A2Speed because nothing was ever fixed. I'm currently working with another shop to correct these issues and do another round of performance upgrades.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts