Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just spent several hours searching this site and google to exhaustion looking to find the best setup for smaller than 20 in. wheels with the widest possible tires front and rear. The information I've come across is spotty at best, and I am hoping to find the ideal setup for my purposes of street use with highest performance summer tires. I intend to use this setup on a 2011 Challenger 392 SRT8.

The benefits of 18 inch wheels would include lower rotational mass, wheel price, and tire price. The only downside I can see with smaller diameter wheels would be additional sidewall flex, which would be a very small trade-off for the potential benefits of 18 Inch wheels.

In addition, going to wider than stock wheels and subsequently wider than stock tires would have large performance benefits on a car weighing over 2 tons and putting down well over 400 hp. and 400 ft.lbs of torque to the rear wheels. 245 or 255 width tires just do not make sense for this vehicle from a purely performance standpoint.

Thank you for any advice or if you can direct me to someone who has thoroughly investigated this topic already. I hope to achieve the best performing Challenger possible with only wheel and tire modifications. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Smaller than 20 Inch

I've just spent several hours searching this site and google to exhaustion looking to find the best setup for smaller than 20 in. wheels with the widest possible tires front and rear. The information I've come across is spotty at best, and I am hoping to find the ideal setup for my purposes of street use with highest performance summer tires. I intend to use this setup on a 2011 Challenger 392 SRT8.

The benefits of 18 inch wheels would include lower rotational mass, wheel price, and tire price. The only downside I can see with smaller diameter wheels would be additional sidewall flex, which would be a very small trade-off for the potential benefits of 18 Inch wheels.

In addition, going to wider than stock wheels and subsequently wider than stock tires would have large performance benefits on a car weighing over 2 tons and putting down well over 400 hp. and 400 ft.lbs of torque to the rear wheels. 245 or 255 width tires just do not make sense for this vehicle from a purely performance standpoint.

Thank you for any advice or if you can direct me to someone who has thoroughly investigated this topic already. I hope to achieve the best performing Challenger possible with only wheel and tire modifications. :)
The Weld RT-S wheels will allow you to drop into a 17 inch wheel if you want. They offer a 17x5 and a 17x10 fitment that works without modifications. You can also go 18 inch as well. They look real nice. Check them out and see if they will work for you.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those wheels look really good, thanks Wheel Czar! Any experience with maximum tire sizing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts