Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2017 Scat Pack Shaker and I want to go from the stock 245's to the best 275's I can get.

1. Never drive in snow
2. Rarely drive in rain
3. Car is my daily driver

My two most important attributes are:

1. Ride comfort (Mostly Bumpy Interstate at 85 MPH)
2. Dry traction 0-60 grip

Money is not a factor in my decision.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ill chime in my experience, Nittos NT555 (non R). Put these one my 18’s and i live in SoCal. Mostly dry weather except for the rain right now. These tires are very quiet, grip nicely around corners going hard, and i rarely get any tire squeal. As far as 0-60 launches it got me down from 5.7 to 5.5 consistently. Car is capable of faster times but im on a M6 and still finding the sweet spot.

Ive also tried the goodear eagle F1 Assymetrico. Very Very quiet tires, also hook very well in my opinion but i was running these on my 22’s

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Your size desire will cut down on your tire options considerably, been there, done that. Good news is that you can shop for summer tires, I also live in a warm and dry climate.

I am currently running Toyo Proxes T1 Sport and like them, I may try the Continental Extreme summer versions next to compare because people talk them up so much on here. Best option if you can afford it is to throw some drag radials on the back. No street tire will do a good of hooking up sadly, but drag radials are expensive! I've run a set of Nitto 555Rs and Mickey Thompson ET street S/S and the Mickey Thompsons are WAY better, they hook really well. Made for a really fun summer :)

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Read my review on Tire Rack
What size Michelins are you running?

Edit: Nevermind, I see they do make a 275/40r20...but DANG, 434 per tire! The way our cars go through tires(a set per year basically) I can make some compromises! LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What size Michelins are you running?

Edit: Nevermind, I see they do make a 275/40r20...but DANG, 434 per tire! The way our cars go through tires(a set per year basically) I can make some compromises! LOL
Lol yeah, I did say money was not an factor but it would be interesting to see what tire would come up second in everyone's opinion since there seems to be a pretty good gap between pricing on the Pilot and the rest.

I also wonder (since ride quality is important) if the tire is a bit stiff? The reviews talk about bumps being a bit "harsh" as compared to others.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't know what review you mean. The ride is really nice for a performance tire; less harsh than Continental DW. My review is here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...eSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes#RatingsReviews

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
    Track/Autocross

Driving Style:
    Spirited
3 out of 3 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
October 15, 2017
Purchased these tires (275/40/20 Porsche spec) for my Charger Scat Pack as they are the stock sizes for my 20x9.5 Hellcat wheels. Primary use is road course track days and interstate travel to and from events. I've had the original Pilot Sports, PS2s, and SuperSports on other vehicles and IMHO the Pilot Sport 4 is better than all them. On VIR Full Course they are markedly better than Continental DW from 2016. Compared to that tire, they have:
-better turn in
-more grip
-better feedback and steering response
-better wear

On interstate, they have:
-less noise
-better ride

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know what review you mean. The ride is really nice for a performance tire; less harsh than Continental DW. My review is here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...eSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes#RatingsReviews

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
    Track/Autocross

Driving Style:
    Spirited
3 out of 3 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
October 15, 2017
Purchased these tires (275/40/20 Porsche spec) for my Charger Scat Pack as they are the stock sizes for my 20x9.5 Hellcat wheels. Primary use is road course track days and interstate travel to and from events. I've had the original Pilot Sports, PS2s, and SuperSports on other vehicles and IMHO the Pilot Sport 4 is better than all them. On VIR Full Course they are markedly better than Continental DW from 2016. Compared to that tire, they have:
-better turn in
-more grip
-better feedback and steering response
-better wear

On interstate, they have:
-less noise
-better ride
I was watching a Tire Rack video but now realize it was the 245 Pilot Super Sport not the 275 Pilot Sport 4. Yea it sounds like they love that one.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Firestone Indy 500 Tires get great reviews at a great price.......Come in 275/40/20 and sold on tire Rack

Reactions: Robotech

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Your size desire will cut down on your tire options considerably, been there, done that. Good news is that you can shop for summer tires, I also live in a warm and dry climate.

I am currently running Toyo Proxes T1 Sport and like them, I may try the Continental Extreme summer versions next to compare because people talk them up so much on here. Best option if you can afford it is to throw some drag radials on the back. No street tire will do a good of hooking up sadly, but drag radials are expensive! I've run a set of Nitto 555Rs and Mickey Thompson ET street S/S and the Mickey Thompsons are WAY better, they hook really well. Made for a really fun summer :)

I have kicked around Mickey Thompson and nitto. My issue that nobody seams to answer is how do they do going threw a corner with any speed? I am not talking 100 mph but say 30-40 around a round about or a nice sweeping turn at 50mph
Are they gonna roll right off the wheel? Or slide out? I don’t want to buy them just for straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Best is in the eye of the beholder, ask yourself how you'll be driving the car, you already said money is not a concern, if you want straight dry traction, nothing will beat a set of MT DR's, if you want lateral dry traction, any of the UHP summer tires will do, typically the most expensive ones are expensive for a reason, so any of them will work, pick whatever design you like the best, you may want to find what most people run in SCCA for example, as typically they all want max grip around corners.

The times for me expending $300+ for tires is gone, so i went with cheap Falken a/s G4's, $160 each, the Scat is my daily driver, and i drive a lot everywhere, so it sees rain, and in rare ocassions, snow, none of the UHP tires will be best for me, and i don't want to be changing tires every 10k miles, especially if they are of the expensive ones, i may pick a set of DR's with different wheels for the summer to do some drag racing, as i'm not thinking to carve corners with this whale anyways, there are better cars for that im my humble opinion, though for its weight, she can handle herself fairly decent in that regards, so i have no complaints.

Again, picture yourself behind the wheel, driving in that mode for the most part.., it'll make the decision easier, choosing tires without a goal, and with money to spare on them, can give you lots of headaches for no reason :)

Have fun.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I have kicked around Mickey Thompson and nitto. My issue that nobody seams to answer is how do they do going threw a corner with any speed? I am not talking 100 mph but say 30-40 around a round about or a nice sweeping turn at 50mph
Are they gonna roll right off the wheel? Or slide out? I don’t want to buy them just for straight line.

Cornering concerns are way overrated IMO. I drove for many consecutive months and never noticed any significant handling hiccups. And considering the monster hook that is gained, the only thing holding me back from running drag radials all the time is the cost LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point. The car is my daily driver. I drive the car on the dry SoCal expressways, (which are pretty bumpy and shitty) somewhat aggressively at about 85 MPH. I like to punch it, for fun, from the stoplights on the back streets from time to time but don't really do any craziness. I feel like I could stand to have a little more grip 0 to 60 than the stock tires. Just need a tire that offers the best grip possible on dry pavemement but has nice ride quality on the twisty, rough, expressway where I spend two hours a day weaving in and out of packed lanes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good point. The car is my daily driver. I drive the car on the dry SoCal expressways, (which are pretty bumpy and shitty) somewhat aggressively at about 85 MPH. I like to punch it, for fun, from the stoplights on the back streets from time to time but don't really do any craziness. I feel like I could stand to have a little more grip 0 to 60 than the stock tires. Just need a tire that offers the best grip possible on dry pavemement but has nice ride quality on the twisty, rough, expressway where I spend two hours a day weaving in and out of packed lanes.

I drive from RSM to Santa Monica every day if it helps :)
I've driven other muscle/sport cars before with drag radials, rain or not, (Nittos 555R and Toyo Proxes TQ are better than MT in this regard, but MT hook way better at the 1/4 mile track), i've also tried Potenza RE's, Toyo Proxes, Conti, BFG'setc, etc ,summer tires, if you really concerned with spirited driving across stoplights and what not, any DR will fit the bill, i used to take the Angeles Crest highway on drag radials, pumped up to 35psi, and they handled nicely, not that i'll be doing Autox on DR's, or running this road daily in a spirited way on DR's, but for the casual thing around corners, they will work, if you want more cornering, there are a plethora of options, Potenza RE11's, i think the new Potenza is now the 71?, Toyo R1R's, Yokohama Advan 48's, Pzero's, Michelin Sp04, etc, etc. they wont last long, and the reason i almost always ended up with DR's in the summer, same price, and they hook a lot better, though with this biatch now on 20's, DR's are a lot more expensive :)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Cornering concerns are way overrated IMO. I drove for many consecutive months and never noticed any significant handling hiccups. And considering the monster hook that is gained, the only thing holding me back from running drag radials all the time is the cost LOL
so was this on a stock hp car?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I see people talk about them but they are truck tires. I just can’t go there

1 - 20 of 60 Posts