Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 R/T that I replaced the rotors and brake pads with EBC slotted rotors and Redstuff brake pads. After a few thousand miles, my brakes squeak almost every time I come to a stop. It's so freaking annoying. What are some good brake pads that don't squeak when you come to a stop???

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
From what I read on this forum most of the squeaking comes from accumulation of dust that is not washed or removed off rotors and calipers from fear of forcing water into and at things like sensors and sensitive components and ending up with lights from damaged parts (I know, but it happens) not to mention rust...many choose to do the spray detail wipe down rather then the wash, which in turn promotes the squeak...looks like a no win situation... don't shoot the messenger

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would recommend Hawk HPS brake pads. One of our supporting vendors, Speedlogix, sells them. See the following thread:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...-3-5-3-6-5-7-6-1-6-4l-stock-speedlogix-61133/

Thanks yeah I've looked at those but after reading multiple reviews they seem to squeak as well.

From what I read on this forum most of the squeaking comes from accumulation of dust that is not washed or removed off rotors and calipers from fear of forcing water into and at things like sensors and sensitive components and ending up with lights from damaged parts (I know, but it happens) not to mention rust...many choose to do the spray detail wipe down rather then the wash, which in turn promotes the squeak...looks like a no win situation... don't shoot the messenger

I only wash my car with car soap so I know it's not an issue of a chemical promoting the squeaking. But I will try and spray the rotors/brake area more and see if this helps any in removing the brake dust.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Same problem with my Brembos. Cant take it anymore. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
i have the same issue.. i have power washed the calipers. and rotors.. then take a airhose and BLOW IT OUT.. does absolutely NO GOOD..

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the same issue.. i have power washed the calipers. and rotors.. then take a airhose and BLOW IT OUT.. does absolutely NO GOOD..
Well that sucks, guess it's new pads then, just need to find the right ones and not end up wasting money.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Just curious, you did put the lube on every part of the pad that touches the calliper, right? I've seen instances that you miss somewhere (like inside the clip where it holds it into place) missed cause the squeal. All pads, when used, will cause a harmonic vibration and when that vibrating pad touches another metal piece, they squeal. Ceramics (which Redstuff is) seem to be worse in the ceramic also has a harmonic that self resonate. This part I do not know how to eliminate. Some say it takes 1000 or more miles to break in a ceramic from squealing.

I only use semi-metalic as I do also race the car on occasion (road course track, not drag strip) and I have a preference for this type. I use the Hawk HPS and have only had one instance of a squeal and that was because I missed greasing a small area of one pad with the supplied grease. I have 62k miles and four pad replacements (five if you include my wife's Cooper). If you want to go with EBC, the equivalent I use is the Yellowstuff.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went with these... I hope they don't squeak, I guess I'll find out. I got them out the door for 136.26 and free shipping.

Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll put in a good word for Porterfield brake pads. When I did road racing, I loved Porterfields. They gave good feedback, modulated well, etc. Good price, lasted well. Not a lot of guys have tried Porterfields, but I loved them. I believe they make pads to fit the Challengers. Just a thought for next time.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have an RT, I run the duralast gold max from auto zone. They are ceramic and have a lifetime warranty, you can just bring them in and pick up a new pair whenever. Best of all they do not squeak and have low brake dust. Give them a shot.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
114 Posts
Akebono Pro Act Ceramic pads - Work great and almost Zero dust. You can order through Advance auto

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have an RT, I run the duralast gold max from auto zone. They are ceramic and have a lifetime warranty, you can just bring them in and pick up a new pair whenever. Best of all they do not squeak and have low brake dust. Give them a shot.
I was going to say the same thing, but thought I'd get drawn and quartered if I said Autozone. I have the same pads on mine and they're absolutely silent and stop great. I'm running these with freshly turned rotors: (if the link works)
http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...nders-t-5-7l-sfi-hemi-ohv/60897_116848_16108/

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I did the EBC slotted/dimpled with Yellow stuff pads.... barely a squeak out of them and very little dust...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Track pads/racing pads will squeak when not being pushed hard. That's just a characteristic of track/race pads. Ceramic pads perform well, but are considered more of an OEM replacement than a high performance pad. When I switch from a race pad to ceramics, initial bite wasn't as good and the car didn't brake as strong. However, ceramics are definitely more live able on a daily basis.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Wagner quiet stop, low brake dust oem spec and they do not squeal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts