Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on driving my car almost daily,so my oil changed will be most likely even 2 months . I feel That screwing off That can That many times could be bad if it wasn't of good quality. And if it leaks , not good either. Does a anyone used one long term That they like?

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,797 Posts
We offer a few different options:

I have had my "S" mount can installed for years now with no issues :)

- Alexis

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,413 Posts
I had a black Speedlogix can whose color faded to purple after only a few months.

I've had nothing but great quality and performance from my Billet Technology can for many years.

I've heard very good things about UPR's catch can.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Read Only
0 Posts
We offer a few different options:

I have had my "S" mount can installed for years now with no issues :)

- Alexis
Are braided lines an optional, or required accessory for the catch can?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
A bunch of thoughts popped up in my head recently with the whole "catch can vs non-catch can" discussion.

If a catch can is designed to "catch" oil, doesn't the product itself become a self-fulfilling prophecy? It would be like designing a "coolant grabber" device, that is inserted into one of the radiator hoses and then trying to justify it's effect by saying "look at all this coolant I grabbed!"

If cars were fine before catch cans came along, why would we need one now?

If the air, fuel, oil mix ratio is really causing problems with the longevity of the engine, why not just take apart your engine every 50,000 miles and have it cleaned?
Wouldn't that be more effective?

Isn't just regular, prescribed maintenance on your engine, result in the same benefit that any catch can would involve?

Isn't the oil filter itself, playing the same role that any catch can would have?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
The catch can is catching vapors that pass through the positive crankcase ventilation. The catch can is condensing the vapor into liquid droplets that drop to the bottom of the can and are captured. Otherwise that vapor will condense on other surfaces in the motor. The supposition is that eventually they will build up and cause detonation requiring the engine management to pull timing, losing power

I have not seen anyone documenting this happening, but for most, the idea of cheaply/easily preventing that vapor from entering the engine is worthwhile in itself

Catch cans are most beneficial on direct injection engines to keep the valves clean. The Hemis use port injection, so that is less an issue

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
If cars were fine before catch cans came along, why would we need one now? If the air, fuel, oil mix ratio is really causing problems with the longevity of the engine, why not just take apart your engine every 50,000 miles and have it cleaned?
Wouldn't that be more effective?
Are you serious? The cost of an engine tear down is preferable to the installation of a $99 catch can?

Before PCV valves, the blow-by was just vented into the atmosphere through an oil breather cap (see photo). Because of emission laws, it was decided to burn these vapors (not ideal). For the average car, this is a convenient solution. However, owners of performance cars don't want any potential loss of horsepower due to accumulated deposits.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm on the BT Train, 8 years on my Ram, and this set up on my Cat

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
885 Posts
I had a black Speedlogix can whose color faded to purple after only a few months.

I've had nothing but great quality and performance from my Billet Technology can for many years.

I've heard very good things about UPR's catch can.
Same thing happened to my black Catch Can...5 years and still works as it should...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wow! How do you keep your engine and bay so spotless? Seriously...
Clean it really good once, then just wipe it dry after car washes really. The best thing ever invented is Adam's In & Out spray. Its like magic. You can spray the black plastic and rubber things without any worry of over spray and it all evaporates off of the other stuff. Check out the link, there is a video at the bottom of the page -

Adam's In & Out Spray | Tire and Trim Shine | Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,797 Posts
For those stating that their catch can faded, those cans were anodized. We no longer anodize catch cans like other companies do, we powder-coat them which does not ever have fading issue.

- Alexis

1 - 20 of 23 Posts