Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a mygig nav unit but I guess they are no longer selling then due to having issues with the Bluetooth, at least that's what my dealership is saying.. So I figure I have to go aftermarket.. Any opinion and suggestions are appreciated. Want something with navigation, backup camera,and iPod interface. Pictures would be great!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
This is something no one can answer for you. You need to do your own research and figure out what features you want. Obviously the "best" is going to be the newest Kenwood or Pioneer models. But for what you want, models 5 years old are more than sufficient.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As mentioned in another thread you can buy the factory options from these guys. From what I understand, they buy factory nav units for the EU market and have some hookup for US nav systems, so you can just send them your VIN and they can ensure that you get something compatible. Many of these options support iPods, and the options that support bluetooth streaming (A2DP profile) can stream audio wirelessly from an iPod touch or iPhone, while providing track control with the steering wheel controls.

The trouble with any aftermarket solution these days is that your head unit isn't as simple as it used to be. For an aftermarket solution, you're going to need the head unit (obviously), you'll need to mount a GPS antenna, you might need an antenna adapter for radio, another one for satellite, a dash mounting kit, you'll likely not be able to interface with the existing uConnect mic on the rearview mirror, you'll need to buy an adapter to be able to utilize the steering wheel controls, and another adapter to talk to the built-in amp for the 6 or 7 speaker factory systems. Expect to spend a few hundred dollars extra for various adapter from these guys. PAC also makes iPod integration kits for radios that don't support iPod.

I've been digging through these options myself and came to the conclusion that sticking with a factory option is less likely to cause me more aggravation then the extra features of an aftermarket unit could possibly be worth.

Having said that, another recommendation that I made in the other thread is to check out Crutchfield. They won't have the lowest prices on the internet, but in my experience they have the best support. I'd simply call them as their phone people are pretty knowledgeable and if they don't know about your specific car, they'll get you to somebody who does. I've been dealing with them for over a decade and you won't find a nicer bunch of people for car audio stuff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was leaning towards tbe Kenwood dnx7140, it has built in nav and Bluetooth, and pretty much any other option out there. It's a 09 model but can be had for 850.00,
I also was wondering what head unit fit the best?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I picked up the pioneer Avic 930bt. Has everything I want (Blue tooth, NAV, removeable face, etc...), and can be found for under $700 if you look around.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was leaning towards tbe Kenwood dnx7140, it has built in nav and Bluetooth, and pretty much any other option out there. It's a 09 model but can be had for 850.00,
I also was wondering what head unit fit the best?
From what I can tell, they all fit about the same. Gotta use the dash adapter kits for all the units I looked it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Try this retailer on the web. I will be purchasing my audio equipment from them and they have everything you need for the absolute best prices I have found after weeks of searching.

~Ray

·
Registered
323 Posts
pioneer has been making great screens for several years now. i never liked them much in the past but they have come a long way. eclipse. alpine are great as well. it all just depends on what your main wants are. they all offer diffrent options and configurations. so its best to hit a few stores and play with a few to see which ones you personally like most.

although i agree you will have to pick up a few install accessories the functions of an aftermarket deck are generally worlds better then anything oem has to offer. this isn't even getting into the diffrence in sound quality that the factory never comes close to getting right even on the most high end systems.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
As mentioned in another thread you can buy the factory options from these guys. From what I understand, they buy factory nav units for the EU market and have some hookup for US nav systems, so you can just send them your VIN and they can ensure that you get something compatible. Many of these options support iPods, and the options that support bluetooth streaming (A2DP profile) can stream audio wirelessly from an iPod touch or iPhone, while providing track control with the steering wheel controls.

The trouble with any aftermarket solution these days is that your head unit isn't as simple as it used to be. For an aftermarket solution, you're going to need the head unit (obviously), you'll need to mount a GPS antenna, you might need an antenna adapter for radio, another one for satellite, a dash mounting kit, you'll likely not be able to interface with the existing uConnect mic on the rearview mirror, you'll need to buy an adapter to be able to utilize the steering wheel controls, and another adapter to talk to the built-in amp for the 6 or 7 speaker factory systems. Expect to spend a few hundred dollars extra for various adapter from these guys. PAC also makes iPod integration kits for radios that don't support iPod.

I've been digging through these options myself and came to the conclusion that sticking with a factory option is less likely to cause me more aggravation then the extra features of an aftermarket unit could possibly be worth.

Having said that, another recommendation that I made in the other thread is to check out Crutchfield. They won't have the lowest prices on the internet, but in my experience they have the best support. I'd simply call them as their phone people are pretty knowledgeable and if they don't know about your specific car, they'll get you to somebody who does. I've been dealing with them for over a decade and you won't find a nicer bunch of people for car audio stuff.
i am looking to get a different stereo for my car.after reading this i am kind of discouraged.i have the res stereo in my 2010 rt.i did put the kicker sub in,but that is the only upgrade.i was looking at some cool touch screen with ipod controls.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i am looking to get a different stereo for my car.after reading this i am kind of discouraged.i have the res stereo in my 2010 rt.i did put the kicker sub in,but that is the only upgrade.i was looking at some cool touch screen with ipod controls.
It may be difficult to put it in and keep it clean but if it's done professionally it's great and again.. The kenwood screens are 10X better than a factory anything

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed my Kenwood DNX9960. It was very simple and took less than one hour. I had to buy a harness that was $45.00 and a Dash install kit that was $25.00. (all available on crutchfield or similar sites) There were two pieces of plastic (valve stem cap sized) in the cavity of the dash that had to be removed with a dremel tool. (older post on forum about this). Easy Stuff here...

My wifes Chrysler 300c has a mygig in it and its cool, but the kenwood unit is hands down 100% better than the mygig. So much so that my wife has talked about upgrading her mygig to a Kenwood DNX unit. Pioneer and Alpine both have very good units, however the Kenwood has GARMIN doing their GPS and the Garmin unit in my DNX9960 is TOP of the line. 3d mapping of some buildings, lane change asst, traffic updates that allow rerouting around delays, the list goes on.

If you dont care about Nav, then any of the 3 units, Alpine Kenwood Pioneer will blow the factory stuff away. I decided after some review to buy Kenwood.

BTW the new DNX flagship unit this year, in addition to all the other cool stuff will allow for Pandora internet radio controls from the head unit...

+1 for Pandora

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
$45 is lower than cost for some dealers on the harness. Of course the dash kit should of only cost you $3 lol.

I went ahead with the Mygig over my base radio just for a factory look and cost of $. If I didn't have my processor I would go aftermarket probably all day though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
$45 is lower than cost for some dealers on the harness. Of course the dash kit should of only cost you $3 lol.

I went ahead with the Mygig over my base radio just for a factory look and cost of $. If I didn't have my processor I would go aftermarket probably all day though.
You can buy a $3 dash kit if you want junk that doesn't fit right

·
Registered
144 Posts
I installed my Kenwood DNX9960. It was very simple and took less than one hour. I had to buy a harness that was $45.00 and a Dash install kit that was $25.00. (all available on crutchfield or similar sites) There were two pieces of plastic (valve stem cap sized) in the cavity of the dash that had to be removed with a dremel tool. (older post on forum about this). Easy Stuff here...

My wifes Chrysler 300c has a mygig in it and its cool, but the kenwood unit is hands down 100% better than the mygig. So much so that my wife has talked about upgrading her mygig to a Kenwood DNX unit. Pioneer and Alpine both have very good units, however the Kenwood has GARMIN doing their GPS and the Garmin unit in my DNX9960 is TOP of the line. 3d mapping of some buildings, lane change asst, traffic updates that allow rerouting around delays, the list goes on.

If you dont care about Nav, then any of the 3 units, Alpine Kenwood Pioneer will blow the factory stuff away. I decided after some review to buy Kenwood.

BTW the new DNX flagship unit this year, in addition to all the other cool stuff will allow for Pandora internet radio controls from the head unit...

+1 for Pandora
I work for a small specialty car audio dealer and we got in the DNX9980 about a month ago... The pandora app is one of the best thing kenwood has done... Great if you have a iPhone

·
Registered
323 Posts

don't be discouraged at all. shopping at places like sonicelectronix.com they throw in the install kit and the wiring harness for free (unless its a super expensive wiring harness) lower end models require add on pieces but when your buying higher end allot of that is built in i just installed a pioneer unit in my trailblazer(have to upgrade it first since thats my daily driver) and the install took a couple of hours ( i prefer to solder and heatshrink all my connections) and it has everything i needed. it has a big integration with the ipod. usb connection. direct hookup with pandora. blue tooth hands free, sd slot about everything you can ask for and even just in replacing just that the sound improved 10x what the stock system was. aftermarket is just so much better then oem. all it really takes is a few hours of research on your car to make sure you getting exactly what you want. and a few hours installation and youlle be a happy camper.

as for who is better at navigation thast probalby more personal prefrence really. pioneer was leading the way in the department in the past kenwoos may have improved and taken the lead but honestly navigation was pretty simple on most units 8-9 years ago so only see it improving. heck all i need it my google maps and im fine. so likely any navigation from the 3 mentioned brands will likely suit you fine. im just more partial to pioneers and alpines sound quality over kenwods personally.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You can buy a $3 dash kit if you want junk that doesn't fit right
You can find Metra kits all day for $3 - $5 ... and there isn't anything better than Metra kits. You are aware the markup on dash kits and basic harnesses is well over 500% right?

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can find Metra kits all day for $3 - $5 ... and there isn't anything better than Metra kits. You are aware the markup on dash kits and basic harnesses is well over 500% right?
Well I say metra products at my store and no... The markup is not nearly that much...

·
Registered
323 Posts
i usually make my own brackets out of steel versus the cheap plastic. probalby cost me $3 bucks for a piece of steel. if you dont count my fab time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.