Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to stick with a stock setup for CAI, and ordered a stock intake tube w/o the silencer. Now looking for the best brand of dry filter that will replace the stock filter. Its confusing :icon_confused: when I read terrible things about K & N, but then I read amazing things about their filters. Not concerned to much with price, I just want the best filter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have the AEM drop in filter and have no complaints. When I was looking for drop in filters K&N, AEM and aFe seemed to be the most common. The reviews seemed to be equally mixed as to which was the best one. Im sure they are all comparable

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Decided to stick with a stock setup for CAI, and ordered a stock intake tube w/o the silencer. Now looking for the best brand of dry filter that will replace the stock filter. Its confusing :icon_confused: when I read terrible things about K & N, but then I read amazing things about their filters. Not concerned to much with price, I just want the best filter.

K&N owns AEM. The mopar brand cai and filters are also made by K&N.
Since 2009. I agree it's confusing. I'd go with a dry filter from aem. Even though they're owned by K&N, they have kept most of their design. If I'm not mistaken the K&N filters are oiled and aem is dry.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
AFE Pro Dry S all the way!!! :pa:

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
What a surprise that K&N is amongst the worst filters out on the merket, still. ;)

There was another extensive study done in 2003 where K&N was the WORST filtering unit out there and they allowed the most dirt through.

I fail to understand why people think they are the greatest filters out there. And I also realize that 100 people will chime in and say "I've used them for years and never had a problem."

The fact is that - The best filter out on the marker for our cars is the stock OEM paper filter. NOTHING out filters it.

Flow is another different animal. The real question is: Can an otherwise stock 5.7 or 6.4 benefit from additional air flow? I think the answer was proved time and time again here.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Well, K&N owns about 80% market share. They're huge but they're not the best. Far from it. However they're very aggressive with marketing and have the $ to do it. Hence perceived to be the best. They also had a huge recall years back because the filters didn't do the job.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You might want to check out a R2C MaxxFlow. I just bought one but I haven't
installed it yet cause it's still to cold here.
They just released a version for the SRT 392.
They design filters for the military too.
Check out their info on other CAI filters, I know it's their site, but it makes sense.
It's a dry filter that is cleaned about once a year with a compressor. Never need to replace. They claim it has maximum air flow while still filtering better than the others.
Shipping was free and it got here in 2 days after I got the notice it was shipped.

(OO [::::::::::::::::SRT:::] OO)

·
Registered
477 Posts
The "best" is subjective. The filters that flow the most filter the least. The ones that filter the most flow the least. I'm just not sure where the happy medium is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
R2C

I emailed them for some basic info about the dyno test they did but all I received from them was more creative talk and claims. No real info, no dyno charts etc. It's no different from many other CAI companies except the fact they claim to make an air filter for the military. Really have to question just how many they make and for what application. It could just be a computer fan filter for all we know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts