Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks. I have a long convoluted story, but the short version is...I purchased #5629 brand new in 2008. I paid for one of the first whipple S/C, before they were ever off the line. I never received it. Ended up getting a used Procharger from the guy and some of my cash back. Installed everything, called Procharger (the SC came off a Charger, and the poly intake wont fit behind HID Ballasts in Challenger), they sent me a new bonnet style intake for the blower. Was told there was nothing else I needed for the conversion. Set up the procharger and a kenne bell boost a pump for 6.5 lbs of boost. The guy at procharger forgot that there was no air restriction with the new bonnet style intake, and the pulley I should have been using was like an inch bigger than the one I had in there. Way too much air, ran lean....broke a piston.

So, my poor girl has been collecting dust in my garage for roughly 7 years. Saved up money, sewer pipe backed up, had to reno basement, etc etc.

Good news is, I am nearly back to where I have enough saved up for a new engine. I have been looking at a lot of options over the years, through teary eyes most times.

I am somewhat competent with a wrench, but I am no mechanic. I can follow instructions and bolt this on or remove that, but I have never rebuilt an engine, and I don't think I will tackle that myself.

What I am curious about is...What would be my best option at this point to get her back on the road. Ideally I would like to go crate engine, pull mine out and drop one in. I am not sure which ones will happily bolt into my 2008 however. I know at the very least I need some wiring adjustment and PCM change? I don't have 30,000 to put some ridiculous beast in there, and I am also Canadian....so my monopoly money is not worth much in the states, so I have to take that into account as well.

Has anyone had much experience upgrading from the 2008 6.1? Should I look at a 6.4 from ebay? I like the 426, but I think the crates might be too much by the time I pay exchange rate, shipping and such. I am not even sure I can put one into my car without changing the transmission.

In summary...I need a new engine, but I am not sure which ones I even have as options, since the Challenger has changed so many times in the last decade. Any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
760 Posts
So you have a 08 6.1L correct? Keep it simple would be my advice. What's your budget roughly? Drop in a stroked 6.1L short block rather a crate motor. It will most definitely be cheaper, lot simpler and can use all of your existing engine accessories.

If you went to a 6.4 you would need all the new 6.4 engine accessories, new pcm or a flash at least, new harness etc. Some of that is factored into the cost of a crate engine yes but then you have the headache of mounting the engine and tackling a full on swap when it sounds like that is a little too big of an investment for you.

If you went stroked 6.1 short block (426 or 440 will make more power than the 392 anyway) you could use everything your car already has (if no other damage other than the piston) and all you would need is a tune which could be done via email. It would be thousands cheaper in parts and labor and if you still had money leftover from your budget you could add things like ported heads, headers etc. Depending on your engine damage you may even get credit for sending your short block back. Check out High Horse Performance Or Modern Muscle Xtreme. Good vendors that could answer your questions more thoroughly and also show you the available options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I definitely need new heads...I pulled a few small chunks of metal out of them. Which is the reason I was leaning towards a crate. I suppose I could pick up a 426 stroker, and kind of build towards a long block though. I am familiar with the email tunes, Johan did my first one when we were trying to tune my overblown s/c...until it blew up :) Ideally I would like to keep it around $15,000 CAN, which I think is around 45$ USD or so, but a stroker looks like a great way to go. I will give both places a call today and see about shipping as well as if I can get them to add a few things. Thanks very much for your advice, I have been heading down this rabbit hole for a long time, and there are so many engines and options out there, it's easy for me to get lost, as to which ones I can actually put in to my car.

·
Registered
760 Posts
15k Canadian is roughly 11k US. Call them up and see what they think but with that kind of money you could do a 426 or 440 with a custom cam, heads and some other things and still probably come in under your budget. A 440 short block goes for just above 5k US, heads roughly 3-4k without core refund, then install and tuning. Most of your other cars systems should be good to transfer over to the new engine. Good luck brother

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I talked to a guy today and you're correct about the price point. I think the shipping might kill me but it is still far less than going full crate, plus having to change a bunch of things after that. MMP offers a standard 402 stroker for the 6.1, and they'll custom build to 426. Haven't spoken with anyone else yet, but I'll get a full quote on what I need this week. Will still probably be a couple months before I can order, but at least I have focus now. Thanks again, I'll update if anything exciting happens!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts