Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My R/T is a 2013 and the NC emissions inspection is a pain. Where could I get some take off SRT headers and mid pipes? I already have a Borla cat-back installed so all I would really need is the SRT shorties and Mids...and gaskets for the Shorties right?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would not call JBA 1 7/8" titanium, ceramic coated long tube headers a budget brand, and how did you figure out that they don't make as much horse power as other brands? What they do do is bolt on easier than other brands.

JBA’s do not have equal length primaries, kooks , ARH , flowtech, and afe long tubes all have equal length primaries. That is the MOST important characteristic of a good header. The entire point of headers is to scavenge exhaust gases in an equally timed manner to allow new fresh air to be pulled into the head with the identical timing. Hence why others with kooks and the liking WILL and do make more power than other brands such as JBA and SS.
As far as budget , the flowtech headers are the most affordable of the bunch.
I would not waste my time or money on any brand or oem shorties. The value is just not there. It’s a painful job to do for no real benefit. And if you don’t do it yourself, it can be pricey.
Also keep in mind , you will need midpipes if they don’t come with. Also , gaskets(I use oem), hardware(again oem), and O2 sensor extensions. After that , you will also need to tune accordingly.
And before people say the oem shorties are good enough for a hellcat , demon , or even hellaphant. Those are all forced induction. If the air is being rammed into the head via blower , then scavenging becomes irrelevant. On an NA motor , scavenging is most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
The 6.4 NA comes with shorties which is far better than the log type cast iron ones on the 5.7. The are also easier to install. I would say 70% of the install time is getting the F***ing bolts threaded and tightened on LT headers. Also, OEM shorties don't throw codes like the LT, high flow cat versions. Just about everyone says just disable the rear O2s and turn of the DTCs and all is good...but this only works if you a in a state with minimum emissions requirement. Don't get me wrong, I am all for LT headers but if you can get a pair of 6.4 shorties and mids for a couple hundred and do the work yourself it's not that bad and a viable option.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The 6.4 NA comes with shorties which is far better than the log type cast iron ones on the 5.7. The are also easier to install. I would say 70% of the install time is getting the F***ing bolts threaded and tightened on LT headers. Also, OEM shorties don't throw codes like the LT, high flow cat versions. Just about everyone says just disable the rear O2s and turn of the DTCs and all is good...but this only works if you a in a state with minimum emissions requirement. Don't get me wrong, I am all for LT headers but if you can get a pair of 6.4 shorties and mids for a couple hundred and do the work yourself it's not that bad and a viable option.

I hear you on that , I truly do. Man those middle bolts !!!! But the job is kinda a PITA either way you cut it. The LT’s may be a bit more difficult, but the gain is worth the effort. Don’t get me wrong , the 6.4 shorties will be better than the 5.7 logs , but to do the job , I’d still opt for the long tubes.
One other thing to consider with long tubes is wether or not to lower the car. Long tubes do make ground clearance a bit more of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Many thanks to all of you for the great feedback. LT’s it is! Now I just need to find the most seamless fit with my corsa catback (already in the car). Lots of people have mentioned Kooks and Americans racing so I am sure either of those would be good choices, but I am curious if anyone has experience with the corsa LT’s ?

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Many thanks to all of you for the great feedback. LT’s it is! Now I just need to find the most seamless fit with my corsa catback (already in the car). Lots of people have mentioned Kooks and Americans racing so I am sure either of those would be good choices, but I am curious if anyone has experience with the corsa LT’s ?
FYI - I am running corsa extreme with my SW headers with no fitment issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do I need connection pipes with the Corsa LT’s if I already have the Corsa catback exhaust in place (sorry for being ignorant)?

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Do I need connection pipes with the Corsa LT’s if I already have the Corsa catback exhaust in place (sorry for being ignorant)?
If you have a corsa catback and buy the corsa headers you will need the mid pipes (they come with or without cats which are for "offroad" use only).

21 - 29 of 29 Posts