Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Best Headers for 5.7

16K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  ChallyTatum 
#1 ·
Hi guys - I have a 2014 RT and I want to add some headers to complement the corsa sport I added about a month back. Almost exclusively a street car but do like like to get on it when I find an open road. Also looking for a nice healthy rumble at idle. I suppose my first question is do I go with shorty’s or LT’s?

#2 ·
If you can go with longtubes (state inspections and crap) go that way. Shorties don’t give a great gain for the price and effort involved.
Unless you plan on doing major work down the line, stick with 1 3/4 or 1 7/8” sizes.
Two good brands: American racing headers and kooks
If you need a budget brand: jba (what I have on my Challenger but they didn’t make as much hp as the others will), still great sound though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I really do not know too much, I only asked about Stainless Works because they sell complete systems, their redline set up sounds awesome, and they are located in Ohio (Same state as me). I like to support local people but I do hate paying sales tax on big ticket items.

#8 ·
The only experience I have with SW is on my buddy’s camaro. They looked like decent pieces and were slightly cheaper than the other big brands but they had some clearance issues.
We had to bang in one of the tubes a bit to clear the steering column and after both sides were on, they didn’t mate up great to the stock exhaust. Beyond that they were great on his application. He picked up about 15hp across the rpms when he had it dynoed.

#19 ·
1200 coated or 1500 non-coated. 300 difference is budget in my head, then add in the additional cost to get the more expensive coated.

To each their own.

#21 ·
My R/T is a 2013 and the NC emissions inspection is a pain. Where could I get some take off SRT headers and mid pipes? I already have a Borla cat-back installed so all I would really need is the SRT shorties and Mids...and gaskets for the Shorties right?

#24 ·
The 6.4 NA comes with shorties which is far better than the log type cast iron ones on the 5.7. The are also easier to install. I would say 70% of the install time is getting the F***ing bolts threaded and tightened on LT headers. Also, OEM shorties don't throw codes like the LT, high flow cat versions. Just about everyone says just disable the rear O2s and turn of the DTCs and all is good...but this only works if you a in a state with minimum emissions requirement. Don't get me wrong, I am all for LT headers but if you can get a pair of 6.4 shorties and mids for a couple hundred and do the work yourself it's not that bad and a viable option.

#25 ·
I hear you on that , I truly do. Man those middle bolts !!!! But the job is kinda a PITA either way you cut it. The LT’s may be a bit more difficult, but the gain is worth the effort. Don’t get me wrong , the 6.4 shorties will be better than the 5.7 logs , but to do the job , I’d still opt for the long tubes.
One other thing to consider with long tubes is wether or not to lower the car. Long tubes do make ground clearance a bit more of an issue.

#26 ·
Many thanks to all of you for the great feedback. LT’s it is! Now I just need to find the most seamless fit with my corsa catback (already in the car). Lots of people have mentioned Kooks and Americans racing so I am sure either of those would be good choices, but I am curious if anyone has experience with the corsa LT’s ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.