Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a tire upgrade (in the spring) that will be used on the stock SRT wheels, probably a 285, that will also perform well at the drag strip.

I am already leaning towards the Nitto 555r's but the only real size choice they offer 275/40/20 and a 305.

What are you guys running on your daily driven SRT's that you also take to the track?

·
Registered
504 Posts
If not in the rain you could go with a Nitto NT 05

·
Registered
968 Posts
I considered the 555 series but read that they last like 5k miles.

If that's no big deal, I'd bet on those being the best.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looking around there are guys that had 555R last 12,000+ miles (technically a "light" drag radial)

AND most say they are fine in the rain....

So I'll probably just go with those

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I have went through 4 sets of Nitto 555r, yep 4 to 5000 miles and mine are done.
I dont race at the track with them, street only.
At the HP im at, no they dont hook and never will. NONE will on the street.
It take a 28x10 drag slick to hook up 500 plus hp leaveing at 4000 rpm.
I do use the 305x40x20 nitto and they do fit a stock rim and thats it. Dont look bad.
To be honest the nitto 555r is not bad in the rain, compaired to most. There not bad.
Slicks I have had for 3 years and im at the 50% mark. Still plenty left. And the Hoosier drag slicks stick like glue. I dont use intertubes either.
They slip on the rim about 1.5 inches a year. 1.5 on one side and 1 inch on the other side. But they do move without bead locks or screws.
Hope this helps.
FlatTop

·
Registered
215 Posts
Flat Top, do you have pictures of 305x40x20 nitto's on stock rear wheels? If so, it would be cool if you could post em. Thanks Geno22.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Sure will, give me an hour and ill snap one and post it. BRB
FlatTop

Here they are, Nitto 305x40x20 on RT stock rims.
FlatTop

Flat Top, do you have pictures of 305x40x20 nitto's on stock rear wheels? If so, it would be cool if you could post em. Thanks Geno22.

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Michelin pilot super sport I herd were good I plan on getting them in the spring 255 45 20 there are $594 out the door at discount tire

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The 555R is a GREAT if not the best street/strip DD tire. Mine last about 4500 miles but they are much stickier than any onther STREET tire. I went from 555R to street nt05 and the R series 555 work so much better. And they performe nicely in the rain

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
How much difference in roll out is there between the 255/45.
I hear the 275/40 is about the same,so that would make the 305/40 ??
Sorry I dont have that info. The 555r do work decent in the rain tho,lol lol suprise. I wish Nitto make the nt05R in a damn 305 size tho

The way I know about roll out is with drag slicks. We check roll out in them for many reasons. One help keep the car straight by being the same. Sure they work without it,,,but its just one step better. dont hate. lol lol
I learned this from the Nitro Funny Car we play with and works with any drag slick. I posted this once
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f100/runout-slicks-how-61056/

FlatTop

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Nice article! :) Very interesting about the tire pressures they cited. They seem high, but maybe that is more of a low profile 20" wheel factor in effect. The later discussion about honing in on tire pressure makes perfect sense, though!

I also have wondered if asymmetric tread pattern could be more critical on the Challenger since they have considerable static camber dialed-in the rear. That is, if you have a tread pattern that has more aggressive water channels and void area on the inner tread region, maybe that is not so good for launching traction where the camber tends to favor that region for contact patch? The Nitto 420s would be a good example of that, but naturally I don't expect any of you guys would be using that tire...just providing an example of an asymmetric tread pattern. I have been interested in trying a tire that has more solid block patterns (less void) on the inner tread side of the tire (for rear tires, at least), to further enhance launch traction.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Anyone ever used these,i've been reading some good things about them,smooth ride,longer wear life than most performance tires,and supposedly stick like glue.These come in a 280 wear rating,good in rain.(And their fairly cheap)
Don't know just asking??
Their made in Holland I think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Michelin pilot super sport I herd were good I plan on getting them in the spring 255 45 20 there are $594 out the door at discount tire
You are right. These are the tire of choice for Viper owners and that was always the first thing I did when I bought a Viper. For street tires they hooked up quite well.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The nitto 555 regular all season radial is a good gripping use every day tire that lasts 20 to 30k if not abused, driven hard 15-20k. Nittos tend to run a little narrow compared to other brands so you could possibly get a wider tire on a stock rim. I've got nitto motivos 275 40s on my stock RT rims, no bulge. I use the 555 series on my stealth and had them on my 04 cobra and they hooked pretty well, I've got the 315 555R on the 69 charger r/t, they'd be too wide for a stock r/t though.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Anyone ever used these,i've been reading some good things about them,smooth ride,longer wear life than most performance tires,and supposedly stick like glue.These come in a 280 wear rating,good in rain.(And their fairly cheap)
Don't know just asking??
Their made in Holland I think.
I had them on my SRT Charger and loved them, my favorite all around performance tire in terms of handling (dry & wet), quietness and longevity. But I wouldn't say they were sticky off the line.

Reactions: Bad daytona

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I had them on my SRT Charger and loved them, my favorite all around performance tire in terms of handling (dry & wet), quietness and longevity. But I wouldn't say they were sticky off the line.
As far as hooking up,how do they compare to the F1s?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts