Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds like a dumb question, but this is driving me crazy. I have a 2009 R/T, and i've tried 3 or 4 different ice scrapers, from cheap ones to more expensive ones, and they have all been basically useless. I mean, they work, but my god the contact area is so small. I assume this has something to do with the shape of our windshields? I swear if i have a 5 inch wide scraper, only one inch will touch the windshield. I figured someone out there must have found the perfect scraper for the windshield. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I know this sounds like a dumb question, but this is driving me crazy. I have a 2009 R/T, and i've tried 3 or 4 different ice scrapers, from cheap ones to more expensive ones, and they have all been basically useless. I mean, they work, but my god the contact area is so small. I assume this has something to do with the shape of our windshields? I swear if i have a 5 inch wide scraper, only one inch will touch the windshield. I figured someone out there must have found the perfect scraper for the windshield. Any suggestions?
Have you tried a bucket of cold water?

Straight from the tap outside, just pour it gently down your windshield, should melt all the ice faster than any scrapper will remove it.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts

Straight from the tap outside, just pour it gently down your windshield, should melt all the ice faster than any scrapper will remove it.
that's still a big temperature differential all at once on glass - tap water is probably mid low 50s and an iced up windshield will be 30*F or colder depending on outside temperature.

Plus you might end up creating a patch of ice on the ground, since the ground might be cold enough for it to freeze.

I've had ice form on my driveway when washing the car in winter - ground can be that cold. (Oregon in winter)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I dont know if you are messing with me or not LOL but no I havent tried that. makes some sense though i guess

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
...and i've tried 3 or 4 different ice scrapers... any suggestions?
This will permanently cure your problem. I recommend a Florida driver's license. That little card is just the right shape to get the job done. And here's the clincher: you'll never wear it out on the ice that accumulates on your windshield here in the Sunshine State.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This will permanently cure your problem. I recommend a Florida driver's license. That little card is just the right shape to get the job done. And here's the clincher: you'll never wear it out on the ice that accumulates on your windshield here in the Sunshine State.
you guys are hilarious. first guy in Cali tells me to dump water on my car. now a FL Drivers license :icon_lol::icon_lol::twak:

·
Registered
513 Posts
i use this stuff

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
then there's the year round bugs (some could quality as the State Bird of FL), mosquitos and the humidity...lots of humidity.

and the 2x / year Love Bugs that will etch the paint off your car, so you have to rinse them off every time you drive your car, or else the paint is shot...

[Dad's side of family in SE Georgia, so I fly through Jacksonville to get there...]

Reactions: Big Daddy's R/T

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
then there's the year round bugs (some could quality as the State Bird of FL), mosquitos and the humidity...lots of humidity.

and the 2x / year Love Bugs that will etch the paint off your car, so you have to rinse them off every time you drive your car, or else the paint is shot...

[Dad's side of family in SE Georgia, so I fly through Jacksonville to get there...]
High price of Sunshine, they say. I've often said this is THE PLACE TO BE during the winter, but the rest of the year, not so much.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Going to visiting GA / FL toward the end of this month.

Will enjoy the low 80s / mid 70s highs when I'm there.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I dont know if you are messing with me or not LOL but no I havent tried that. makes some sense though i guess
Then again, the most I get is a light frost. Not sure how much snow you're talking about.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My dad, who grew up in Minnesota showed me a good trick to save you a lot of scraping time. First start your car and turn on the front and rear defroster full blast. Then with your scraper clear one path across the bottom of the windshield. Then clear the side and rear windows of snow. By this time all the ice that was on your front window will be melting and sliding off on its own. You can easily clear it with a few swipes of your scraper.

After that the rear will be just about melted off by itself so go ahead and easily scrape the rest of it clear.

The sides that didn't have the benefit of any defroster might have some ice on them but probably not too much since they are at a much steeper angle. That will be up to you if you want/need to do the side windows.

If you do it in this order and by starting on one row along the bottom of the front windshield you will be amazed at how little actual scraping will need to be done, unless it's just a nightmare storm.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ice scrapper

I use the black button that says start on my dash. Go in the house for a hot cup of java. when I get in the car its nice and toasty and has no frost. When I dont have time or gas money for that I use the -32* wiper fluid and wipers to clear the front window and the rear defroster button to do the back.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Thank God for my insulated garage so I don't have to deal with these honky ice scrapers anymore! >:)

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I use the black button that says start on my dash. Go in the house for a hot cup of java. when I get in the car its nice and toasty and has no frost. When I dont have time or gas money for that I use the -32* wiper fluid and wipers to clear the front window and the rear defroster button to do the back.

Ron
...and then we get freezing rain. Happened a few times between late 2016 and early 2017...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
I'd think you snowmen would know all the tricks!

Rubbing alcohol has a freezing point of -125°F, so you can keep the spray bottle in your car, and it should never freeze.

California :D

A Guy

·
Registered
397 Posts
freezing rain

...and then we get freezing rain. Happened a few times between late 2016 and early 2017...
ha, freezing rain. We have already had a freak hail storm that lasted about 30 seconds all while I was on a narrow 2 lane highway. Nearly killed myself as the car went sideways into the other lane and with no shoulder almost into the ditch. The car straightened out right as the front tires hit the white line, and thank goodness there was no cars coming the other way until I made it back on my side of the road. Oregon is a strange place as not 5 miles from the hail storm I was in (Right out of Cottage Grove) CG was bright and rain free and about 10* warmer.
I do have a dollar tree ice scrapper special but have rarely ever used it as I only use the defroster or wiper fluid to defrost the car. I have used these 2 techniques for my enter life. In a pinch (late for work type) I either use my DL or drive with my windows down on the very few days its actually cold enough where the wiper fluid freezes the window in a cool snowflake pattern. I have never used: Cold water, blow dryer, hot water, chemicals, ETC as I am always afraid of my windshield cracking due to the temp differences between the 2. I did buy a windshield cover once when I lived in KC but found those did not work well for the amount of snow KC got or prevented the icing of the window when it was -12 to -20 at night. I used it a few times in Oregon but still did not like the amount of ice the window had in the morning and then I lost it and did not think it was worth replacing. I always go back to the 2 that work and my dollar tree scrapper seems to never be where I can just grab it (probably why it still looks new).

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
you guys are hilarious. first guy in Cali tells me to dump water on my car. now a FL Drivers license :icon_lol::icon_lol::twak:
I'm suggesting you use the remote start and the defrosters. And most of all, THIS IS A VERY DEPRESSING THREAD. Brings up lots of bad memories! Never did defrost till I got going. Chicago winters at 4 AM with over a foot of snow and ice on my truck and I got 30 miles to go on unplowed roads into the kill zone of Chicago. Good times!!! At least I got a Challenger and bad back and joint replacements to show for it. And scars. Oh the scars....... best of times.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I use Rain X washer fluid, the orange stuff with the deicer in it, in my DD and my truck. Works great on even heavy frost.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
520 Posts
I leave mine in the garage all winter no need to worry about frost, snow,bird poop or anything else that might be an issue.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts