Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for the best setup for longtube headers, I dont drag, I drive hard here and there sometimes and just like get on it at times with a nice loud growl, I've heard shorty headers are best for Idle and mid range performance and longtubes are great for mid rang to high range performance. Im leaning more towards the Longtubes, so which brand is the best and should i go catless or catted? I already have Dynomax mini race bullets 24250 without resonators installed.They are loud but want more loudness and tone + power. 91 diablosport preloaded tuned, no intake. Not planning to get CAI, they are pointless.

I was also thinking to get catless mid-pipes that will connect to the stock headers, but not sure which ones do that. Appreciate for any input / suggestions! Thanks.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Are you modding the sxt in your signature? Can’t do shorties or longtubes on an sxt. If not:
Longtubes hands down (if emissions are no issue).
American racing headers or kooks.
Cats or not depend on your preference and future mods.
Catless will be slightly louder but not by much. You will have a different exhaust smell. Will smell more like pure gas than normal exhaust smell. Some people find that to be an issue.
I swapped to catless when I started spraying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you modding the sxt in your signature? Can’t do shorties or longtubes on an sxt. If not:
Longtubes hands down (if emissions are no issue).
American racing headers or kooks.
Cats or not depend on your preference and future mods.
Catless will be slightly louder but not by much. You will have a different exhaust smell. Will smell more like pure gas than normal exhaust smell. Some people find that to be an issue.
I swapped to catless when I started spraying.

What SXT? That's a R/T lol. And no I won't be doing any future mods such as supercharger etc. I'm on a budget really so I was looking at JBA longtubes. Are they any good?

·
Registered
854 Posts
What SXT? That's a R/T lol. And no I won't be doing any future mods such as supercharger etc. I'm on a budget really so I was looking at JBA longtubes. Are they any good?
My bad. On my phone your profile only lists a sxt so I was curious.

I have JBAs on my Challenger. Been on for 4 years or so. They are pretty good for the price point. The issue is they are not equal length headers so they do not make as much power as the other more popular brands as scavenging (what makes power with longtubes) relies on equal length tubing. My car with a cam, made 10hp more throughout the rpms with just adding JBAs and adjusting the fuel correspondingly. I was on a budget then too.
If I could do it again, I would save and get ARH or kooks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have JBAs on my Challenger. Been on for 4 years or so. They are pretty good for the price point. The issue is they are not equal length headers so they do not make as much power as the other more popular brands as scavenging (what makes power with longtubes) relies on equal length tubing. My car with a cam, made 10hp more throughout the rpms with just adding JBAs and adjusting the fuel correspondingly. I was on a budget then too.

sounds good, I'm thinking of just getting catless kooks mid pipes first and hear how I like those and then I can decide to get longtubes or not.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I am interested to see how happy you are with the results, I will be following.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had Shorties on my R/T and loved them. Once you see the log manifolds, you'll realize how restrictive they are. Cost wise, a set of SRT headers and mid pipes is the best bang for the buck for an R/T. If you plan to put a cam, supercharge or stroke the motor, go with Long Tubes. JBAs 1-3/4" ceramic coated long tubes IMO are well made. Remember that if you do go with long tubes, you'll need a tune. Shorties you can get away with it, but not on long tubes.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I went Kooks, catless with Race Bullets. Pretty loud but awesome :) Have to cold start the car with my garage door down. I'm lowered so had small skid plates welded on the bottom of the headers just in case. Exhaust smell is a factor so am on the fence as to whether or not to add high flow cats.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Your username has “SXT” in it you may want to mention you are modding an RT

Heres how my setup sounds with just some 6.4 takoff shorties (scored for $100 almost new), combined with 3” high flow cats and midpipes, necked down to a 2.5” catback

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your username has “SXT” in it you may want to mention you are modding an RT

Heres how my setup sounds with just some 6.4 takoff shorties (scored for $100 almost new), combined with 3” high flow cats and midpipes, necked down to a 2.5” catback
Now thats what im looking for without breaking the bank. My budget is $980 but I want what you did. So yours is an RT though and you put 6.4 headers on right? Which high flow cars and midpipes did you go with then?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had Shorties on my R/T and loved them. Once you see the log manifolds, you'll realize how restrictive they are. Cost wise, a set of SRT headers and mid pipes is the best bang for the buck for an R/T. If you plan to put a cam, supercharge or stroke the motor, go with Long Tubes. JBAs 1-3/4" ceramic coated long tubes IMO are well made. Remember that if you do go with long tubes, you'll need a tune. Shorties you can get away with it, but not on long tubes.
I think im gonna go down the 393 or 6.4 stock headers but less restrictive as you've mentioned the 392 ones with maybe catless mid pipes or high flow cats. Im on a budget so i want to get rear louvers as well as with the performance stuff and accessories too.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Now thats what im looking for without breaking the bank. My budget is $980 but I want what you did. So yours is an RT though and you put 6.4 headers on right? Which high flow cars and midpipes did you go with then?
Read the video info but in short,

SOLO HIGH FLOW CATS that are SRT Spec (to fit the headers)

The shorties should run anywhere from $100-$200. Its not going to get you as far as long tubes, but unless your goal is to bring down your 1/4 mi, the shorties add a decent performance gain and sound.

Used brand new gaskets OEM As well as all the header bolts from a 6.4 OEM again with factory loctite already on the bolts

Install ran me roughly $600. These headers are a PITA and your mechanic is going to curse you out. Try to find someone thats done the job before

Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think im gonna go down the 393 or 6.4 stock headers but less restrictive as you've mentioned the 392 ones with maybe catless mid pipes or high flow cats. Im on a budget so i want to get rear louvers as well as with the performance stuff and accessories too.
I wouldn't waste the money on high flow cats. Most you will gain is 3-5 HP and that's generous. In the end, catless will net you far more than high flow cats. SRT headers w/cats will net you 8-10 HP on the top end with no tune. Tuned you will see 10-15 HP gained throughout the power band. With your budget, that is the way I would go. Tune is going to run $165+ through Hemifever or Jay Greene, so take that into consideration.

Believe me when I say the shorties make a very noticeable difference above 3k RPM.

·
Vendor
12,988 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money on high flow cats. Most you will gain is 3-5 HP and that's generous. In the end, catless will net you far more than high flow cats. SRT headers w/cats will net you 8-10 HP on the top end with no tune. Tuned you will see 10-15 HP gained throughout the power band. With your budget, that is the way I would go. Tune is going to run $165+ through Hemifever or Jay Greene, so take that into consideration.

Believe me when I say the shorties make a very noticeable difference above 3k RPM.
but being able to pass a state inspection would be critical

·
Registered
230 Posts
but being able to pass a state inspection would be critical
True and I should have explained it a bit better. Catless will not pass a state inspection (if required), but high flow cats or SRT/Scat Pack cats will pass.

Reactions: stevewhite

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Why arent they equal length headers? I mean im sure they are, why would they sell headers that arent equal length? Now im kinda backing away from JBA longtubes unless its not true that they come uneven lengths...I dont think they come like that. Anyone else with JBA can confirm this or is it not true?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Why arent they equal length headers? I mean im sure they are, why would they sell headers that arent equal length? Now im kinda backing away from JBA longtubes unless its not true that they come uneven lengths...I dont think they come like that. Anyone else with JBA can confirm this or is it not true?
You can look at any picture of a JBA header (at least for dodge) and tell they are not equal length. Individual cylinder pipes are very different lengths. See my shitty arrows lol:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,206 Posts
Wazz is in Saudi Arabia. I know they do have periodic inspections there. Not sure what that entails

A Guy

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can look at any picture of a JBA header (at least for dodge) and tell they are not equal length. Individual cylinder pipes are very different lengths. See my shitty arrows lol:

Well damn that sucks.... So I'm not getting ALL the power from a longtube with JBA then??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts