Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 15 SRT. I am looking for small mods to pick up some extra HP. I have been told to put a hellcat cam in the motor to pick up some and it would not require any tuning. Thoughts? What else would everyone do?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Dodge pretty much go that covered. Tune for 93 octane.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know they aren't cheap but is there any horsepower gain in a throttle body change like say to 87 or 90mm polished unit or is it better drive ability/throttle response?

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Any car being made to meet EPA restrictions is not tuned to its fullest.
Its not just hp being made with a tune.

That's not even close to correct. You can "detune" an engine (much easier on FI setups) and progressively
bump up the tuning to get magically, more HP. The manufacturers do it every single day. The engine in my
C43 is the same engine as in the E43 and mine makes 362 HP and the E43 makes 396 HP and literally the only
change is the programming. Now like I said above, on Forced Induction it's way easier to sand bag and hold
back the HP numbers by limiting boost and then incrementally stepping it up over the model run. I can also
have the ECU reprogrammed to take the car to 430 horse without even adding any other "mods".

*EDIT* I read your post wrong but I'll keep my post so others understand the game the MFG's play.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I personally say, save up the $7500 and spend a weekend with friends installing a 6lb Magnusson Supercharger
and you grin will stay firmly planted for quite a while.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's not even close to correct. You can "detune" an engine (much easier on FI setups) and progressively
bump up the tuning to get magically, more HP. The manufacturers do it every single day. The engine in my
C43 is the same engine as in the E43 and mine makes 362 HP and the E43 makes 396 HP and literally the only
change is the programming. Now like I said above, on Forced Induction it's way easier to sand bag and hold
back the HP numbers by limiting boost and then incrementally stepping it up over the model run. I can also
have the ECU reprogrammed to take the car to 430 horse without even adding any other "mods".

*EDIT* I read your post wrong but I'll keep my post so others understand the game the MFG's play.
Haha yeah what you posted was what I was trying to say :grin2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Toxic11—are you saying tuning can occur electronically? Both my wife and I notice a boost in throttle response after the latest ‘radio’ update. Is it possible for Dodge to change engine mapping through an uodate, or are we imagining things?
2015 SXT Plus

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Toxic11—are you saying tuning can occur electronically? Both my wife and I notice a boost in throttle response after the latest ‘radio’ update. Is it possible for Dodge to change engine mapping through an uodate, or are we imagining things?
2015 SXT Plus
@chipc

Is it possible? Yes! Are they doing anything other than stated? Likely not!

The computer system in a modern vehicle today is super complex there are in some cases as many as 10 different
sub computers all sending data back and forth to eachother. Some of these subsystems "learn" they are adaptive
in nature by using complex algorithms to develop responses based on driving styles.

Every single part of an engines "tune" in a computer controlled fuel injected vehicle is controlled by multiple
computer systems and a host of sensors and then you have (depending on the type of measuring systems)
tables of data for fuel, spark, timing etc etc.

And yes the most modern cars that are WiFi connected could easily be "tuned" wirelessly by the Mfg's if they
wanted to do so. Tesla does this all the time with their vehicles. People go to bed and wake up the next morning
with features their cars never had before.

The beauty of software!

·
Registered
26 Posts

HP spreads like those you observe are nothing new, even before computer controlled engines. FoMoCo found ranges of 40-50 HP in it's LeMans prepped 427's for the Ford GT's. Doubtful those engines suffered from lack of attention during prep and tuning, what with "The Deuce" watching. Our 392's are under-rated by factory just to avoid class action suits if someones' doesn't measure up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks Toxic11, that was a most interesting post, and it confirmed something I have long wondered about. I doubt anyone at FCA would ever admit to tuning via WIFI, but what an intriguing thought nonetheless.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
HP spreads like those you observe are nothing new, even before computer controlled engines. FoMoCo found ranges of 40-50 HP in it's LeMans prepped 427's for the Ford GT's. Doubtful those engines suffered from lack of attention during prep and tuning, what with "The Deuce" watching. Our 392's are under-rated by factory just to avoid class action suits if someones' doesn't measure up.
You are very correct that they under rate to make sure engines deliver as-advertised because people are sue
happy. The other reason the 392's aren't pushing over 500 horsepower is that when they were developing the
392 it initially did have well over 500 horse but the torque curve wasn't as broad or as linear and they didn't
want another "peaky" V8 they wanted (rightly so!) an old school big block type flat torque curve which meant
dialing the HP back a little to make the torque come up and remain flat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No idea why everytime these threads pop up everyone's so unhelpful and anti mod, but there's a lot of things you could do for HP and handling, first thing I would do I have your throttle body ported it's not that much money to send yours in or you can buy an MMX one for $300 this is Dyno proven to give about 8 whp without a tune, if you send yours after shipping its about $200 so $25 spent per whp is not bad at all, a hell cat intake is another thing you should do, I've heard numbers accross the board but according to srt enginers it's about a 1% overall boost at WOT so $150 for that divided by 5 your get another 5 who for $30 a horse which again isn't bad at all, they're other things you can do that I've done but haven't dynoed and tuned yet so I can't say if it actually helped but getting a Mopar CAI that works in conjunction with the hell cat intake should help I then swapped the Mopar filter for a R2C which is supposed to flow 4 times better but who really knows. Also since you have an SRT look into getting the T/A functional ram air hood scoop ram air, more air into the eninge more power right, if your only going to do one suspension mod I would recommend a differential brace I feel alot more planeted and if you have wheel hop it helps with that too, I also have a strut tower and rear static tower brace, after you get all the minor things out of the way take it in for a tune and getting a higher octance tune along with having your mods tuned perfectly should give you a substantial bump and depending how happy you are with that go from there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Number one first recommendation... tires and wheels.

If you really want better performance, start by putting it to the ground. It’s whole different car when it can grip.

Differential brace goes on this coming week, and bearings hopefully in two. Will put up a post, but essentially more power is only good at burning tires until the right ones let you drive it to potential.
I have 305 NT555Rs going on the back on the summer for a reason

·
Registered
63 Posts
Number one first recommendation... tires and wheels.

If you really want better performance, start by putting it to the ground. It’s whole different car when it can grip.

Differential brace goes on this coming week, and bearings hopefully in two. Will put up a post, but essentially more power is only good at burning tires until the right ones let you drive it to potential.
I have 305 NT555Rs going on the back on the summer for a reason
Thats definitely true!
If you plan on pumping up your HP numbers a considerable amount and do not do these supportive ground up mods, you're not even going to be able to use it all!

·
Registered
585 Posts
As Clownfeet462 said above, the first Mod should always be a good set of rear tires/wheels like these 305/35/20 Toyo R888R on 10.5" wide wheels (Not mine):

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
13 Participants
Frank Julian
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing