Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,779 Posts
In 1972, AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil became the world's first synthetic motor oil to meet American Petroleum Institute requirements

Surprised if anyone hasn't heard of them, but hey :)

A Guy

·
Registered
650 Posts
In 1972, AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil became the world's first synthetic motor oil to meet American Petroleum Institute requirements

Surprised if anyone hasn't heard of them, but hey :)

A Guy
Yea I call BS on someone saying they've never heard of Amsoil.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,894 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
360 Posts
Lol, calling BS?
What's the big deal? I've never heard of it til I came to this forum. I've only used synthetic oil in one car ever and it's my wife's current car, and i use either Valvoline, Quaker State or Pennzoil....whatever is cheaper at the time. I'd also use Mobile 1 or Castrol but don't use those very often.
It's all I've ever used in conventional as well so cult following or not,.... Amsoil is not a big deal to some people. I don't buy oil that cost that much and never had a problem with any of my vehicles engines.

And sorry to say, never heard of Royal Purple either til I came here.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,779 Posts
Amsoil has a cult following. Like Royal Purple.
I believe it does, but I use it because I read up on oils, and it topped the list for me. I will reccommend it, but won't tell you it will make your breath fresher too...

Lol, calling BS?
What's the big deal? I've never heard of it til I came to this forum. I've only used synthetic oil in one car ever and it's my wife's current car, and i use either Valvoline, Quaker State or Pennzoil....whatever is cheaper at the time. I'd also use Mobile 1 or Castrol but don't use those very often.
It's all I've ever used in conventional as well so cult following or not,.... Amsoil is not a big deal to some people. I don't buy oil that cost that much and never had a problem with any of my vehicles engines.

And sorry to say, never heard of Royal Purple either til I came here.
I can believe you. Unless you belonged to car forums, you may never have run into it IRL. Just like that BNB oil, I'd never heard of that before this forum. They have a cult too, lol. I imagine Redline and Lucas could also be something most are unaware of

Honestly, and goof oil will probably serve you well as long as it's the correct viscosity. I only change once a year, so I don't mind splurging. I sure have spent enough babying this car

A Guy

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ive seen the convention oils set a code. Says improper oil. Synthetic is the proper oil for the hemi. The code wont set the light but it is stored.
20200115_103000.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
360 Posts
Ive seen the convention oils set a code. Says improper oil. Synthetic is the proper oil for the hemi. The code wont set the light but it is stored. View attachment 994045
For the 6.4 and 6.2 engines?
5.7 don't call for synthetic. It's right in the manual.

·
Registered
619 Posts
For the 6.4 and 6.2 engines?
5.7 don't call for synthetic. It's right in the manual.
That pic was taken from a 5.7. 2012 r/t.
Ive seen the code in 6.4 car also. Wont turn the light on for the code, but does store it in the pcm.
I understand what the "book" says but the engine can tell the difference between the conventional and synthetic.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I believe it does, but I use it because I read up on oils, and it topped the list for me. I will reccommend it, but won't tell you it will make your breath fresher too...

I can believe you. Unless you belonged to car forums, you may never have run into it IRL. Just like that BNB oil, I'd never heard of that before this forum. They have a cult too, lol. I imagine Redline and Lucas could also be something most are unaware of

Honestly, and goof oil will probably serve you well as long as it's the correct viscosity. I only change once a year, so I don't mind splurging. I sure have spent enough babying this car

A Guy
Do you use the once a year oil?
Ive seen it advertised and idea sounds good, but with all the plastic plates under cars these days a leak would become un-noticed. Checking the oil becomes the only thing that you can observe. The ones that dont check oil regularly would be in trouble.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,779 Posts
I use Amsoil Signature, their best. It's not specifically advertised as once a year. It does say extended interval, so could go 10,000-15,000. I average about 4,000 miles a year. I check it fairly often. I have never had the belly pan off as I use an oil extractor to remove the old oil. I'm not very concerned with a leak I won't see, but my car is still mostly a weekend car even though it's my only car. I could see it being an issue with daily drivers, high mileage, engines that have been modded etc.

A Guy

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok.... I see all this mention that a thicker oil will cause MDS damage, but the 392s have MDS and call for the 0w-40. so What is the difference? Seems to me the MDS solenoids and lifters are the same.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,779 Posts
Perhaps different tolerances on the 6.4, and not just MDS dictate the viscosity

A Guy

·
Registered
685 Posts
Only thing FCA says it that the 6.2 and 6.4L engines must use synthetic and that was the factory fill.

The 3.6 and 5.7L engines use conventional.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That’s odd....every time I’ve taken my 5.7 to the dealer...they put in synthetic...without even asking..and I would have been surprised if they did...I guess they don’t go by the manual recommendation..

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
436 Posts
I can't really comment on the tick or changing the weight of the oil but these are the brands I'd recommend:

Amsoil>Redline>Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
I swapped out to Pennzoil ultra today and the SRT filter. Car feels great and the tick is nonexistent!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts