Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Best motor oil (weight and brand) for 2015 R/T 5.7?

77K views 58 replies 28 participants last post by  Dennis H 
#1 ·
Getting ready to do the first oil change on my new R/T... Wanting recommendations for the best weight to use here in Florida.
My motor is "ticky"... Will heavier oil help with the "Hell tick"?

#48 ·
I believe it does, but I use it because I read up on oils, and it topped the list for me. I will reccommend it, but won't tell you it will make your breath fresher too...

Lol, calling BS?
What's the big deal? I've never heard of it til I came to this forum. I've only used synthetic oil in one car ever and it's my wife's current car, and i use either Valvoline, Quaker State or Pennzoil....whatever is cheaper at the time. I'd also use Mobile 1 or Castrol but don't use those very often.
It's all I've ever used in conventional as well so cult following or not,.... Amsoil is not a big deal to some people. I don't buy oil that cost that much and never had a problem with any of my vehicles engines.

And sorry to say, never heard of Royal Purple either til I came here.
I can believe you. Unless you belonged to car forums, you may never have run into it IRL. Just like that BNB oil, I'd never heard of that before this forum. They have a cult too, lol. I imagine Redline and Lucas could also be something most are unaware of

Honestly, and goof oil will probably serve you well as long as it's the correct viscosity. I only change once a year, so I don't mind splurging. I sure have spent enough babying this car

A Guy

#47 ·
Lol, calling BS?
What's the big deal? I've never heard of it til I came to this forum. I've only used synthetic oil in one car ever and it's my wife's current car, and i use either Valvoline, Quaker State or Pennzoil....whatever is cheaper at the time. I'd also use Mobile 1 or Castrol but don't use those very often.
It's all I've ever used in conventional as well so cult following or not,.... Amsoil is not a big deal to some people. I don't buy oil that cost that much and never had a problem with any of my vehicles engines.

And sorry to say, never heard of Royal Purple either til I came here.

Reactions: 19johned53
#50 ·
Ive seen the convention oils set a code. Says improper oil. Synthetic is the proper oil for the hemi. The code wont set the light but it is stored. View attachment 994045
For the 6.4 and 6.2 engines?
5.7 don't call for synthetic. It's right in the manual.

#53 ·
I use Amsoil Signature, their best. It's not specifically advertised as once a year. It does say extended interval, so could go 10,000-15,000. I average about 4,000 miles a year. I check it fairly often. I have never had the belly pan off as I use an oil extractor to remove the old oil. I'm not very concerned with a leak I won't see, but my car is still mostly a weekend car even though it's my only car. I could see it being an issue with daily drivers, high mileage, engines that have been modded etc.

A Guy

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat
#55 ·
Perhaps different tolerances on the 6.4, and not just MDS dictate the viscosity

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.