Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about putting royal purple in my r/t auto
anyone know any other oil to use that is better?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I use Mobil 1 but if your getting it done at the dealership and yours is like the one I got mine at the only synthetic they have is Penzoil. I have to take them 7 quarts of Mobil 1 every time I get it changed.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Mobil 1 or step up to Amsoil but that's it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thank you

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I use Mobil1 and a K&N filter for mine. no complaints.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I use Royal Purple; it's a true synthetic. Be sure to use the correct weight of oil to ensure your MDS works properly.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I use Royal Purple too. I've been curious about Amsoil, but haven't ventured to it yet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use Royal Purple; it's a true synthetic. Be sure to use the correct weight of oil to ensure your MDS works properly.
Okay, so I have to ask, why do you say it's a true synthetic?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Some oils are highly refined, to the point where they are allowed to advertise as a synthetic; however, they come from bazillion-year-old crushed dinosaurs and vegetation like regular oils.

True synthetics, like Royal Purple, are completely man-made.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'll be the contrary poster here when I say I don't use synthetics. I cannot/have not seen any advantage. A lot of the synthetic advantages are over hyped and don't really apply to normal driving.

Also, I have driven many cars well over the 100,000 mile mark and a couple over 200,000 miles in my life using regular oil. All these vehicles were running great when I sold/traded them in.

What I "do" believe in is excellent maintenance habits and changing my oil as prescribed in the owners manual of each particular car.

My personal belief is that using synthetic oil will not improve the longevity of any vehicle vs. a high quality natural oil. Oils have come so far over the decades that you cannot even compare them to the oils of yesteryear.

Save your money for fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I use Mobil I synthetic because that's what the dealer has. I change mine every 4.5-5k miles.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use Mobil 1, change my oil every 6 months or 5k which ever comes first. If you do mostly city driving I would change more often. On my Suburban I avg changing the oil (Mobil 1) every 8k miles over the last 250K miles but that was mostly hwy miles.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
The reason why is most of the synthetic oils on the market are blended oils. The two oils that come to mind that are 100% synthetic are RP and Amsoil. I'm sure there are others but I've only used Amsoil that is 100% synthetic. I can tell you that after changing the diff oil on my SRT with Amsoil 75-90, the annoying clunking noise from the diff at low speeds is almost all gone. It's a good product. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Oils have come so far over the decades that you cannot even compare them to the oils of yesteryear.
You're absolutely correct, they're called synthetic oils.
Blended and 100% full synthetic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'll be the contrary poster here when I say I don't use synthetics. I cannot/have not seen any advantage. A lot of the synthetic advantages are over hyped and don't really apply to normal driving.

Also, I have driven many cars well over the 100,000 mile mark and a couple over 200,000 miles in my life using regular oil. All these vehicles were running great when I sold/traded them in.

What I "do" believe in is excellent maintenance habits and changing my oil as prescribed in the owners manual of each particular car.

My personal belief is that using synthetic oil will not improve the longevity of any vehicle vs. a high quality natural oil. Oils have come so far over the decades that you cannot even compare them to the oils of yesteryear.

Save your money for fuel.
I have to agree. Regular maintenance does more for longevity than anything else. As far as synthetics, all oils start out from base stocks and the carbon chains are manipulated to the point to where they can be called synthetic.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
251 Posts
Lucas Oil

I have been using Lucas Oil in my vehicles for the last 5 years or so. I had been using mobil one prior. When I started building (and re-building) small block drag race motors I discovered a dramatic difference in the wear on main bearings and cylinder walls. I started recommending it to the guys I built engines for and when I got them back at the end of the season to freshen up... the amount of wear I noted was little to nothing. My own 65 chevelle (3400 lb car, ran 11.50's... 383ci, th350 reverse man valve body w/trans brake, 9in ford rear w/spool, Spec Rite 4000 stall converter.) still had protective coating on the main bearings after over 200 passes. I also drove the car on the street regularly. I ran lucas oil with stabilizer the entire time. I also noticed increased oil pressure and reduced engine and oil temps when running lucas. (I drove and raced the car in 100 degree heat here.)

That being said, I called Lucas Oil when I got my new challenger and they recommended the 5-20 synthetic and 1qt synthetic stabilizer. They said DO NOT use the standard stabilizer... ONLY the pure synthetic stabilizer because the 5.7 hemi can have issues if you try and use oil that is heavier than 5w20.. specifically the cam can be starved of oil.

I also use their long drain High TBN truck oil in my Duramax... Same results.

I won't use anything but Lucas.

Steven
Chico CA

·
Registered
298 Posts
I dont use any of the oils mentioned above, everyone to their own, but "true synthetic" has to do with additives no longer used on alot of off the shelf synthetic oils being sold today. I am not going to get into it on this thread, you can look at any thread on any forum on oil and these kind of questions start a war and 1,000 mile long replies and post. It gets old. lol.
:bigthumb:
Do some research and decide what you want to use and like best. because if you ask, you will get "I use this" and "I use that" and "I never had any problems" and so on. Everyone has their own methods and type of oil they like. it goes on forever.

Reactions: moparized

·
Banned
368 Posts
I dont use any of the oils mentioned above, everyone to their own, but "true synthetic" has to do with additives no longer used on alot of off the shelf synthetic oils being sold today. I am not going to get into it on this thread, you can look at any thread on any forum on oil and these kind of questions start a war and 1,000 mile long replies and post. It gets old. lol.
:bigthumb:
Do some research and decide what you want to use and like best. because if you ask, you will get "I use this" and "I use that" and "I never had any problems" and so on. Everyone has their own methods and type of oil they like. it goes on forever.
Amen, Brother.

Reactions: Dennis H
1 - 20 of 49 Posts