Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
My dealer offered both Pennzoil and Purple,

Now for whatever reason they dropped Purple and are only using the Pennzoil. I asked why they dropped RP and if there was some issue,
they just said service dept will only use the spec'd Pennzoil.
:smoker:

Reactions: Cowchip

·
Registered
190 Posts
I dont use any of the oils mentioned above, everyone to their own, but "true synthetic" has to do with additives no longer used on alot of off the shelf synthetic oils being sold today. I am not going to get into it on this thread, you can look at any thread on any forum on oil and these kind of questions start a war and 1,000 mile long replies and post. It gets old. lol.
:bigthumb:
Do some research and decide what you want to use and like best. because if you ask, you will get "I use this" and "I use that" and "I never had any problems" and so on. Everyone has their own methods and type of oil they like. it goes on forever.
I'm not trying to start a war here. I have decided what is going in my car and it's a personal choice. My only point is the word "synthetic" in this case doesn't mean "man-made".

·
Registered
474 Posts
As was mentioned, discussions regarding oil are like those regarding politics and religion. Whether you have the V6, 5.7, 6.1 or 6.4 there is a specific spec called out for in the owner's manual. For the 6.1 for example it calls for an oil meeting Chrysler Material Standard of MS-10725 and approved to MB 229.3 or MB 229.5 specs. If you have a 6.1 and use an oil that does not specifically say on the label that it meets or exceeds the aforementioned then walk away from it. Only 2 oils mentioned in this this thread so far are certified as meeting the 6.1 specs and 1 says it is approved for use in engines requiring these specs but it is not certified.

Oils today are so far beyond oils of only 10 years ago it is incredible but engine requirements are as well. Read the book, read the labels, then select the oil you want for your car and as noted, regular maintenance is the key to long trouble free engine life.

RP does market a great filter however.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
As was mentioned, discussions regarding oil are like those regarding politics and religion. Whether you have the V6, 5.7, 6.1 or 6.4 there is a specific spec called out for in the owner's manual. For the 6.1 for example it calls for an oil meeting Chrysler Material Standard of MS-10725 and approved to MB 229.3 or MB 229.5 specs. If you have a 6.1 and use an oil that does not specifically say on the label that it meets or exceeds the aforementioned then walk away from it. Only 2 oils mentioned in this this thread so far are certified as meeting the 6.1 specs and 1 says it is approved for use in engines requiring these specs but it is not certified.

Oils today are so far beyond oils of only 10 years ago it is incredible but engine requirements are as well. Read the book, read the labels, then select the oil you want for your car and as noted, regular maintenance is the key to long trouble free engine life.

RP does market a great filter however.
Read the book, read the labels, then select the oil you want for your car and as noted, regular maintenance is the key to long trouble free engine life.

+1

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
I dont know, ask at a speed shop close to you.
it is most often better to start a new thread rather than digging up a 4 year dead thread. From my own history, I will not put synthetic oil in a car that has some miles with regular oil on it. I switched a car over with about 30k on it, that was the start of perminant high oil consumption, a qt every 2k miles. YMMV

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use Kendall Liquid Titanium Synthetic and change every 5k. Reasonable priced and my 03 Silveraldo has 185K , runs like a champ and doesn't leak any on the ground. YMMV. JMO.

·
Registered
516 Posts
a little of the subject ,if we can make 100% synthetic oil how come we cant make synthetic gasoline?
They do. They call it Ethanol.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Royal purple only!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Royal Purple for my 5.7
I do
5 Qt of 5w20
2 Qt of 5w20 XPR
Royal Purple oil filter
This has taken any tick I ever had away.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Quantum Blue custom blended to your application synthetic oil from BND Automotive. Been running it for over 90,000 miles with typical 10,000 mile oil and filter changes. Now have 110,000 on the SRT8, still runs great and might burn 1/2 quart in the 10k between changes. Blackstone oil analysis shows the oil still has some good life left at 10k change. He also has a great premium oil filter made to his specs by one of the big manufacturers. Somewhat expensive compared to mass market oils - oil change can run about $120.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I stick with Mobil 1 or Royal Purple, great luck with both and no HEMI tick.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do your homework gentleman.
Redline motor oil.
The hemis love it.
I get mine from summit.
Read up on it, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
516 Posts
At nearly fifty bucks a gallon, I'll stick with $26 Mobil One.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Definitely understandable. I put about Three Thousand miles per summer on mine before it goes into storage for the winter. A hundred and some dollars for an oil change at the beginning of every season doesn't bother me to much.
I had an 11 Ram with the Hemi tick and after trying many different brands and types, Red Line, Amsoil, and Royal Purple was the only oils to get rid of it. After researching the ingredients to all three, I liked Red Line the best and felt that the price was justified.
All three of these were used with a Royal Purple filter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've never used it, but I've read a lot of stories about the Hemi tick being worse with Mobil 1. They would switch to RP or Amsoil or even Pennzoil and the tick would either go away or be much quieter. That being said, we've got a couple of '05 Durango's with the 4.7 and over 80,000 miles and they've only ever gotten the bulk dino oil at every change.

Oil brand is like beer brand - everyone has a favorite.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I've never used it, but I've read a lot of stories about the Hemi tick being worse with Mobil 1. They would switch to RP or Amsoil or even Pennzoil and the tick would either go away or be much quieter. That being said, we've got a couple of '05 Durango's with the 4.7 and over 80,000 miles and they've only ever gotten the bulk dino oil at every change.

Oil brand is like beer brand - everyone has a favorite.

Odd, I've read a lot of people cured the tick with Mobil 1. :)

I ran it and RP in my '11, couldn't have been happier. PP made it much noisier.

Hard to go wrong with oil these days, though. Not likely to hear of anyone that has an oil-related engine failure unless they never change their oil.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts