Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, can you Guy's/Gal's Please direct me to the best place to get a car's Honest value?

I've tried CarMax, TrueCar, Edmund's and have gotten different values, so I thought that I'd ask you because there are A lot of people on here that are Smarter than I am.

I once was told once that a Smart person isn't one who knows everything, but knows where to look and who to ask when they don't know (not that I'm saying that I'm a Smart person, just one who knows when to ask for help :)).

I'm thinking about selling Ruby and just want to get an idea of what I'm looking at as far as value/pricing/worth.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
From my experience, each source is vastly different from the next. Even one dealer is going to value a vehicle differently from another.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
13 Posts
As the title says, can you Guy's/Gal's Please direct me to the best place to get a car's Honest value?

I've tried CarMax, TrueCar, Edmund's and have gotten different values, so I thought that I'd ask you because there are A lot of people on here that are Smarter than I am.

I once was told once that a Smart person isn't one who knows everything, but knows where to look and who to ask when they don't know (not that I'm saying that I'm a Smart person, just one who knows when to ask for help :)).

I'm thinking about selling Ruby and just want to get an idea of what I'm looking at as far as value/pricing/worth.

Thanks in advance.
KBB.COM usually pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack A8
230 Posts
Too many factors to list, your specific location even plays a huge role in the value of your car. The same car in the same condition with the same mileage will have a different value say in LA vs where I live in Missouri. The best you can do is get value estimates from as many sources as you can taking into account your location then take an average of those results. That should give you a decent ballpark figure. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
19 Challenger R/T Destroyer Gray
173 Posts
Uh, no...the value is what the current local used car auction is bringing for a similar car. If the dealer buying it, or accepting it on trade, has to sell it (wholesale), he wants to get his money out of it. So dealers have a web screen and login of their local used car auction and what cars are selling at. That's what they use to value a used car.
Nada and kbb are just a rough guide, and there's a dealer or 'industry' version, and figure whatever that value is without any adds, is what MIGHT be offered, at wholesale - the base base value. Your accessories and options are irrelevant. Condition and miles are everything. A cream puff is always worth more. A high-miler is always worth less.

I know, I've been around the car biz for over forty years. Used cars aren't worth jackshit wholesale. The best price is always what someone is willing to pay, retail, on the open market. And it's not what you THINK it is - only what someone is willing to pay. And everybody wants a deal. Trust me on this. I've bought and sold over fifty cars just for myself.

Another way to get a rough retail value is to get an appraisal from CarMax - they can't get new cars so they dominate the used car market. All of the new dealers have to bid against them at auction. The top retail value will be provided by CarMax. In reality, they've been a boon and a bust to the used car biz.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,443 Posts

Thanks in advance.
My general advice is to use sites like Kelly Blue Book and NADA -- and there are others I'm sure -- and plug in the numbers/details of the car you are interested in and see what values come up. Whole sale/trade in, private sale and retail sale values.

I pick the site with the lowest numbers. Not my job to reconcile the numbers. Or do the seller's job and find the site with the highest numbers. As long as I can cite my source for my numbers that's good enough for me.

My info is a car is worth its whole sale value. A dealer with a used car will have about this much in the car. And he will not go through the car replacing this and that and bringing the services up to date, etc. He will have the car detailed to be sure and then do only what he believes he has to do to bring the car up to a saleable condition.

So to buy a used car the thinking is one starts at the car's wholesale price. And keep in mind what the dealer pays for the car its whole sale price is less than the publicized whole sale price. The dealer will generally not offer publicized whole sale price to you if you walk in with a buy my car now offer but the lower wholesale price which is what he knows he can sell the car for if it doesn't sell in a reasonable amount of time.

The dealer can get the latest price info online from a number of sources. In Tracy CA there's an Adesa auto auction facility -- one of a number scattered around the country -- that is a very large facility. It sits on darn near a square mile size lot. It is not open to the public. You can to be a car dealer or auto broker to offer cars for sale and to bid on cars for sale.

(You can google the facility and view it using google satellite view and see how large it is for yourself. I used Maps and searched for "Adesa Golden Gate Tracy CA".)

A few years ago when I was at this facility I spoke to the GM and he told me the facility moved around 130,000 vehicles through a year and sold about 90K vehicles. Vehicles from nearly new cars, pickups, but also commercial vehicles, trailers, boats, RVs, even wrecks. (This is where i put my totaled 2008 Cayman S up for auction. An auction to sell wrecked vehicles was held every Wednesday. The day my Cayman was auctioned around 20 vehicles were auctioned that day too.)

This facility logs each sale and the particulars of the sale so a dealer can sign on and call up the sales of say Challenger R/Ts and see dozens maybe hundreds of auction results and have a pretty good feel for what the whole sale value of the car will be.

You set an upper limit beyond which you will not go over and if you get the car fine. If not there's always another car. To keep this post from being too much longer I'll just say there are ways to negotiate the used car purchase that can help you get the car for less than you would otherwise.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmmm...seems like that's basically what I posted. [shrug] :unsure:

BTW, Edmunds.com is another good resource, mainly for new cars. Lease and buy rates posted, what dealers are discounting, based on buyer's reports.
Buying and selling private-party is more difficult that it used to be, and many just don't want the hassle. Worse when there are lenders involved for either buyer or seller.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,443 Posts

BTW, Edmunds.com is another good resource, mainly for new cars. Lease and buy rates posted, what dealers are discounting, based on buyer's reports.
Buying and selling private-party is more difficult that it used to be, and many just don't want the hassle. Worse when there are lenders involved for either buyer or seller.
That's what I get for being in a hurry not reading all the posts before posting.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input Guys! I Appreciate it. (y)

My general advice is to use sites like Kelly Blue Book and NADA -- and there are others I'm sure -- and plug in the numbers/details of the car you are interested in and see what values come up. Whole sale/trade in, private sale and retail sale values.

I pick the site with the lowest numbers. Not my job to reconcile the numbers. Or do the seller's job and find the site with the highest numbers. As long as I can cite my source for my numbers that's good enough for me.

My info is a car is worth its whole sale value. A dealer with a used car will have about this much in the car. And he will not go through the car replacing this and that and bringing the services up to date, etc. He will have the car detailed to be sure and then do only what he believes he has to do to bring the car up to a saleable condition.

So to buy a used car the thinking is one starts at the car's wholesale price. And keep in mind what the dealer pays for the car its whole sale price is less than the publicized whole sale price. The dealer will generally not offer publicized whole sale price to you if you walk in with a buy my car now offer but the lower wholesale price which is what he knows he can sell the car for if it doesn't sell in a reasonable amount of time.

The dealer can get the latest price info online from a number of sources. In Tracy CA there's an Adesa auto auction facility -- one of a number scattered around the country -- that is a very large facility. It sits on darn near a square mile size lot. It is not open to the public. You can to be a car dealer or auto broker to offer cars for sale and to bid on cars for sale.

(You can google the facility and view it using google satellite view and see how large it is for yourself. I used Maps and searched for "Adesa Golden Gate Tracy CA".)

A few years ago when I was at this facility I spoke to the GM and he told me the facility moved around 130,000 vehicles through a year and sold about 90K vehicles. Vehicles from nearly new cars, pickups, but also commercial vehicles, trailers, boats, RVs, even wrecks. (This is where i put my totaled 2008 Cayman S up for auction. An auction to sell wrecked vehicles was held every Wednesday. The day my Cayman was auctioned around 20 vehicles were auctioned that day too.)

This facility logs each sale and the particulars of the sale so a dealer can sign on and call up the sales of say Challenger R/Ts and see dozens maybe hundreds of auction results and have a pretty good feel for what the whole sale value of the car will be.

You set an upper limit beyond which you will not go over and if you get the car fine. If not there's always another car. To keep this post from being too much longer I'll just say there are ways to negotiate the used car purchase that can help you get the car for less than you would otherwise.
Thanks Rockster for all of the info.

Thank You.

I did use Edmunds and the nice thing about them is that they work with CarMax and gave me a "Real Time" estimate as to the value. It's just what was stated though in that value is only what someone's willing to pay for the vehicle. Value would be the number that CarMax/Edmund's told me.

That's what I get for being in a hurry not reading all the posts before posting.
I Appreciate you taking the time to type that info up, even if it was similar to what Browneye posted up. It's good to have a second opinion/thoughts because everyone has a difference of opinion but when two people tell me the same thing, then it holds more water to me, so Thank You both (and everyone else for the guidance too).

Ruby would fall into the "Needs Absolutely Nothing done" category. No dents, dings, rock chips, scratches (better than from the factory) and 8900 miles on her. The reason that I'm thinking about giving her a different home because like my old Vette, I don't drive her and we're thinking about getting into something that we'll drive year round.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sometimes a collector-type car is best offered in enthusiasts forums like this. Advertise in a classifieds section if there is one.
And AutoTrader is sometimes worth it, depending on whether there are other cars like it, and/or buyers for that type of vehicle. I'm not familiar specifically with the market for a Challenger.
Sometimes Hemmings Motor News has a section for special interest cars, and gets national attention then.

I bought an old Mercedes Benz on an ebay auction for a student driver car when my youngest started driving. After I won the auction I realized it was halfway across the country, and was going to cost nearly as much to have it shipped as the car cost. So I decided to take some vacation time and fly there, drive the car back. Low and behold, when I got there the car turned out to be a cream-puff - nearly perfect. I had to call my son and tell him we had to find him another car.

I cleaned it up and fixed everything on it, showed it around and did some vintage owners rallies with it, and was a regular at cars and coffee. The time came to sell it, so I just put a 'for sale' sign on the seat at cars and coffee one day - they don't want signs in the windows - and sure enough, a collector came by and paid me full boat - two and a half times what I paid for it. In fact, there were two guys and they were badgering me about wanting it over the other. Was a beautiful car and the buyer was thrilled to get it.

How many miles on the car? Does it have a lot of accessory or custom items on it that you're trying to recover $$ for? Condition is everything. Mileage makes or breaks them.
Mostly it's about getting enough exposure for the right person to come along that wants that car - and you only need ONE!

EDIT: Oops...just read your reply that it has 8900 miles. Well gee, that's considered a nearly new car from 2015. Top $$ if the car is nice.
There's a Mercedes shop in Irvine CA, the north American center for vintage and collector MB's - The Classic Center. A nice resource for Benzo owners and collectors - full restoration shop, vintage parts, car storage, and like a museum.
One of the cars they had was a 74 450SEL. The owner like the car so well when it was new that he bought TWO of them - drove one and stored the other. It had like 2 miles on the ODO, still all the stickers and everything all still attached. The tires were rotting off it. It had never been run, or driven. I don't remember if it was for sale or not, but a curiosity nonetheless.
They had another car that was some kind of joint build venture with a piano company, from like the turn of the century, 1904 or some such. It was huge, like a 'horse-less carriage'.
And still another was one of those gull-wing door'd aluminum racing SL's from the fifties being restored from the frame up. Amazing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
@FreddyG - I just went thru your history and found your post and pic when you bought the car - it's definitely a beauty.
Now I gotta ask....you've only driven the car 9K miles in over 5 years and now thinking of selling it? You special-ordered the car?
Are you thinking of a new one?
What's your locale?

o_O

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@FreddyG - I just went thru your history and found your post and pic when you bought the car - it's definitely a beauty.
Now I gotta ask....you've only driven the car 9K miles in over 5 years and now thinking of selling it? You special-ordered the car?
Are you thinking of a new one?
What's your locale?

o_O
Thanks for the props Browneye. (y)

Please don't think that I'm bragging, but I know that there are lower mileage 2015's out there, but I can promise that there are none cleaner than Ruby. I can't find a flaw on her. We did special order her when the body style update came. I wanted to order a 2015 Roush Stage III S550 Mustang and my Wife saw the Hellcat Predator commercial on TV and said that she liked that better than a Mustang, so we went to look at them and we both liked what we saw. The Hellcat was just coming out and I won't pay sticker for a car, much less ADM (Additional Dealer Markup) so the SRT was negotiated and ordered. The HUGE, garbage can lid sized brakes were the draw for me.

We're not thinking of another Challenger. I'm kind of leaning towards possibly a used (2017-2018) JGC (Jeep Grand Cherokee) SRT 392, a 2019 Ecoboost Ford Flex or a RAM 1500 Limited/Laramie pickup because I could drive those all year round and my Wife would drive it.

·
Registered
833 Posts

Thanks in advance.
What JessieRT says. It's a combination of several factors. I'd start with KBB, NADA, and check the market value in the area where you intend to advertise your car. Once you get those values, average them together

·
Registered
173 Posts
Funny...my wife won't drive my car either. I traded her CX5 Mazda to get it, so she drives the Colorado 4x4. She just loves to tell people I sold her car to get mine. But she works from home and we go everywhere together, so she has no need for a car anyway.

Something about the roar and the thousand dollars of wheels. Early on she asked what would happen if she curbed it - I said "I'll kill you." And that was the end of that. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
When I was stationed at the U.S. Navy Amphib base in Coronado, CA in 1969, I saw the following bit of wisdom written on the wall of a toilet stall:
Knowledge is not knowing the answer. Rather it is knowing where to find the answer.
That is essentially the same as what you wrote; and, I've remembered it all these years.

To the point, most lenders will use NADA.com or KBB.com when determining loan values; so, those are where I'd look.

Reactions: FreddyG and Klink
1 - 20 of 30 Posts