Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best place to store or hide your wheel lock key?

I'm assuming you will keep it in your car in case you need to change tires on the road.

The glove compartment you could lock, but that would also be the first place thieves will look for it.

Where can you keep it so it doesn't roll around? How would you secure it down and not have it rattle in the car? Any good hiding spots in the car?

Keep it inside the trunk under the Husky/ Weather Tech Trunk Mats where the speakers and tire inflation kit/spare tire is?

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
If someone is already inside your car you have more to worry about than your tires. These days you can buy a wheel lock removal tool, so locking them doesn’t do much anyway. I don’t have locks on mine.

If I lived in an area that it was a problem, I wouldn’t have a car that stood out and made itself a target. They can put it on a flat bed and be gone with the whole car in less time than removing the wheels alone.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If someone is already inside your car you have more to worry about than your tires. These days you can buy a wheel lock removal tool, so locking them doesn’t do much anyway. I don’t have locks on mine.

If I lived in an area that it was a problem, I wouldn’t have a car that stood out and made itself a target. They can put it on a flat bed and be gone with the whole car in less time than removing the wheels alone.
True, not just for the sake of preventing theft do you guys have any neat places to store the wheel lock key and other small items? I want to organize my car and the storage. Any cool accessories for the trunk for organization that doesn't require drilling that you could keep the key and other stuff in?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have it zip tied under my seat and have a spare in my tool chest in my garage so I never use the one zip tied under my seat unless it's an emergency away from my garage.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,605 Posts
If I told you where I hide mine...

A Guy

Reactions: darkrt and JavierA

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,963 Posts
Step 1, find the best place to hide something.
Step 2, tell the internet

Reactions: JavierA

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I don’t have locked lugs but do have Gorilla lugs and they use a specific socket. Surprised some shops don’t have that socket laying around so keep mine handy.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a used Isuzu Trooper, spare tire was on the rear, under a tire cover. A few years later he gets a flat on the highway at night. Takes off the spare tire cover and finds a locking lugnut on there! He ripped thru the entire vehicle, could not find the lugnut key. He ended up driving it a few miles to the next exit, shredding the tire. Lesson learned for him! And me, always review your spare tire situation on your car.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, every one of them :) But same socket for Gorilla brand.
I thought each had its own special key. Mine came with a reference number to replace the key if I lost it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts