Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the snow here yesterday and roads completely ice/snow covered now and in a lot of other places in the country, I was wondering, with the car safely tucked in the garage for the foreseeable future, is there any place in the US that doesn't have SOMETHING to deal with at any given point of the year as far as weather and how it relates to trying to keep a car as clean/well maintained as possible?

I mean here in Illinois we have snow and salt to deal with from now till late March,then the spring rains, then the pollen,bugs etc of summer.
Would Florida be better? They have lots of rain there too, not too mention more bugs than any other place on earth. (almost,lol)

The desert southwest,where it doesn't rain as much but then you have dust and duststorms, monsoonal rains?

Maybe SoCal?

This is only about as it relates to cars, not politics or economics etc. I know where I live I'd lose that argument immediately. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
A garage-kept car here in the southwest will last a LONG TIME. You should see some of the great original cars from the 70s and 80s that are on the roads around here.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Im out in seattle no snow yet and if we do it only lastest a few days

·
Registered
331 Posts
another vote for the SW. Here in El Paso, there is no salt put on the roads, and rust is nonexistent. As long as its garage kept to keep the sand off it at night and not parked out in the boonies for work (keep it in the city) your vehicle will last a LONG time.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The warm, arid climate in the southwest has to be the clear winner here.

In Florida, the tropical humidity can wreak havoc on cars, not to mention the salt coming off the seabreeze.

·
Banned
349 Posts
I see cars here in FL EVERY day from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and so on that are in absolutely FLAWLESS condition aside from maybe some paint fade. Moving here from Buffalo, NY (the butthole of the entire world, sorry, born and raised so I can say that) where cars that are two years old are toast if driven in the winters.

I bought a 92 Caprice Classic LTZ that was from right here in the town we live in, it had 80k miles on and had never left the state. Man this car was absolutely 100% FLAWLESS in every aspect and a pure pleasure to work because there was NO RUST ANYWHERE. Brake jobs were a breeze! The under carriage was like a brand new car. Put it up on the lift and took pics and put the car on Ebay, I had people from all over the country calling me and I end up selling the car for four times what I bought it for to a guy in OH!

I would NEVER again buy an older car from any place up north. My friend just bought a 63 Catalina Super Duty car that was stored and spent it's entire life here in FL. The car is just now finishing a 100% complete resto and did not even have to come off the frame because it was in such excellent condition. So it was given a frame on resto and engine rebuild etc. The car will be featured in an upcoming High Performance Pontiac issue.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting about Florida. I plan to retire in the not too distant future and looking for some place warmer with a car friendly environment, (hey,what else am I going to do in retirement except play with cars? lol) ,along with the other things that make up a decision to move elsewhere.
Though I love CA, that would be my ideal but FL would be choice 1B I think.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
349 Posts
I also lived in Irvine, CA. I can say without any doubt the cost of living here in FL is a tenth of what it is in CA maybe less. We love it here. We have a 2500 sq ft house a massive lot and our total taxes are $1100/yr. Water is $18/mo, electric is $175 averaged over 12 months due to a/c in the summer months. No cost to heat in the winter months. There is a cruise night EVERY SINGLE night of the week ALL year long and car shows every single week end! THIS IS the place to live for car people. We live because of this reason. I told my boss in 07, this company moves me to FL or I give me 2 week notice and I move myself and find a job when I get there, plain and simple! Lucky for me, they took the bait and moved me. What I didn't expect was a year later I began losing my vision and ultimately lost my career, house and almost everything else. Then, things all turned around when an illegal rear ended us in our 68 Pontiac Firebird RamAir III. But that's another story all together. LOL

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
All I know is living in Syracuse was the most car unfriendly area I have ever lived in. Between the salt, dirt, mud, rain and potholes my cars have always aged prematurely and were very difficult to keep clean. I always felt like my cars were rode hard and put away wet up there. Driving on the thruway in the winter was the pits, constant barrage of rocks and salt chunks hitting the front end and pitting the windshield as well. Weather mats are a must as well!

Fast forward to today: Down in Florida, my car stays clean and when it does rain, it dries off as soon as it is parked out of the rain due to the heat. The only negative is when love bug season hits (twice per year). As long as you clean them off and keep your car waxed, it's not a problem. I find I only have to detail the inside about once a month as my shoes are rarely dirty getting in the car. My car has no pits in the front and no rust anywhere, except normal surface rust on untreated suspension parts. This is why FL cars command a premium up North! I'm sure the Desert SW is probably the best, though (as long as you can park in the shade!).

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I lived in Miami for 15 years so take my advice, if you want to move to Florida stay away from South Florida because of the crime. No thanks, been there, done that and have the police reports to prove it.

If you do move to Florida get ready for some freakin' serious heat and humidity in the summer and just when you get ready to enjoy those glorious winters the streets will fill with tourists who don't know where they are and weren't even good drivers in the country they came from.

Living in NC now and loving it. Seasons, mild winters, hardly ever snows (where I'm at), civilized people, winding country roads, smiling faces, beaches, mountains and fresh produce stands. The only way I'm leaving here is in a body bag.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've heard a lot of nice things about the Carolina's too.
If I move to FL it would be the Naples area. Have family there already.
Not much crime there, but yes stifling heat and humidity!

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Cars last way longer nowadays....

In the late 70's, a ten year old car was a rust bucket. By the 90's, car paint and protective surfaces improved immensely. The average American car is 10-11 years old. Most are NOT rust buckets. In fact, most of the 20 year old cars I see are in pretty good shape. I suspect our cars will last decades if properly maintained.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Tucson, Arizona

That is where Davis Monthan AFB is located (the boneyard). Planes are stored here for decades because they don't rust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also know the damage ny weather can do to a car. You kind of get used to it and learn to cope. Until it hits one day that there has to be something better. Moved to South Carolina and never looked back. No salt on the roads and can wash and drive your challenger anytime you want.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Dallas, TX

Dallas is overall a great place to live except the summers are killers. If the decision has nothing to do with economics I would say California, say Manhattan Beach etc....if my choice were limited to Texas I would probably say Fort Davis, Alpine area....cooler than the rest of the state and rather dry...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
As far as car longevity goes, Northern Florida is a great place to live, it never snows, i've only seen flakes once in 26 years, no ice, no salt on roads, the only way to make a car rust here is to park it on the beach somewhere. Or live directly on the coast where you get salt spray in the wind. 10 miles inland and it can't be beat. Yes it does rain, but during rain season (summer) it usually is sunny in morning, clouds up at 1pm, rains at 2pm and is over by 3, then it clears up again. Most houses here come with a garage as part of the package deal. Unlike up north where they just forget to build one when they make a house.
there is an occasional threat of a hurricane, but Here in Jacksonville, we almost never get hit by those, they blow by and sometimes get kissed by the outer bands. Lived here since 88, and we've only seen 1 hurricane that came close enough to push some trees over. And it didn't actually hit us directly. Had a few tropical storms or noreasters that have hit us, but thats what a garage is good for, hiding it from the elements.

Overall, its a great place to retire to, still gets cool in winter but not freezing. It does get pretty hot in summer, better like the mid 90s. and its a Humid Hot. Not dry heat like out west. Bugs? only a few to worry about, Mosquitos and Fire Ants. Love bugs suck but they are only a problem a few weeks of the year, love bugs tend to get on your car, Mosquitos get in your ear and fire ants eat your feet. A little amdro will take care of the ants. Water and a dryer sheet will wipe off love bugs, And if you shut the garage door the mosquitos can't get you.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Our friends and family in NY always bring up the hurricanes when talking about FL and I always tell them this "we MIGHT get hit with a hurricane, but you WILL get hammered with snow, ice and cold". Then they like to point out the heat and I like to tell them "no matter how hot it gets, you NEVER have to shovel it". We have now lived down here through seven hurricane seasons and not so much as a breeze.

We have lived in seven states, FL is by far the best place I have ever lived. Here are all the states and moves we have made in this order, some states multiple times, (NY, TN, NY, NJ, VA, PA, CA, PA, NY, FL). Imagine living in 7 states in 5 years with a wife and three young kids. Had we moved to FL first, there would have been no other moves I can tell you that!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts