Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to buy a new Challenger from the dealership and I'm wondering if I should buy one that has OEM leather seats, add Katzkin leather after I buy one with cloth, or get leather seat covers. I know that Katzkin installs them on Challengers because they talk about it on their website pretty prominently.

What have your previous experiences been with these options and what would you recommend?

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Welcome. I have the Katzkin leather which I bought from Canadaseatskins. Good quality product for sure. I installed it myself. This is from when I installed it:

The wrinkles have worked themselves out since then. It needed enough time in the sun and temperature cycles. As for recommendations, it really depends on your personal preference. Sit in them and see if you like the factory leather, leather/suede, or cloth. Generally I like cloth seats in most vehicles. But the factory cloth in the Scat Pack wasn't as nice as I had hoped. It was a bit too hard and denim-like for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. I have the Katzkin leather which I bought from Canadaseatskins. Good quality product for sure. I installed it myself. This is from when I installed it: View attachment 987664
The wrinkles have worked themselves out since then. It needed enough time in the sun and temperature cycles. As for recommendations, it really depends on your personal preference. Sit in them and see if you like the factory leather, leather/suede, or cloth. Generally I like cloth seats in most vehicles. But the factory cloth in the Scat Pack wasn't as nice as I had hoped. It was a bit too hard and denim-like for me.
I think that looks great. Especially with your comment about the wrinkles having gone away.

Are they pretty easy to clean? Katzkin makes it seem like theirs are really easy to clean: Leather Care | Katzkin

I've heard some people say that Katzkin leather is a little bit nicer than OEM leather. Seems like you think that too based on your experience. Your recommendation of sitting in the various options to see what I think is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Yeah, they're pretty easy to clean. For the most part I just give them a wipe with a damp microfiber cloth.

I would agree that it's nicer than OEM leather. It feels thicker, as though there is another layer of padding on top of the seat foam, even though there isn't.

·
Super Moderator
15,762 Posts
The models that have full leather seats:
SXT Plus and SRT models optioned with Laguna Leather

everything else that has the upgraded interior is part of the Plus Package gets the Alcantara / leather trim seats (this is the synthetic "suede" material in center panels)

even though you may replace the interior with Katzkin (R/T or Scat Pack) I'd still recommend getting the Plus Package, as it adds:
-8.4" uConnect (std is 7" version which doesn't have Performance Pages)
-276w 6 speaker audio (there's upgrades beyond that as extra cost)
-premium stitched dash panel and door panels (new for '20)
-power tilt / telescope wheel
-heated & vented seats [part of the Alcantara / leather seat package]

this includes the Alcantara / nappa seats - you can always see the OEM covers as take-offs - there's folks out there looking for covers to replace their base houndstooth cloth

Reactions: blazebullock

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
why are we wanting to swap seats covers out of the gate?..what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
if the car actually used and the seats are trashed? Then I get it, or is it brand new?
if so, have you actually driven a few hundred miles in them to even know if you like them or not and this is worth the cost/effort?
FME having had all 3:
Houndstooth is basic fabric. Can be a little slippery, doesnt wear well over time (fraying) classic look. Most are not hi-bolster I believe.
Alcantara is nice and grippy. wears very well...certainly the best of the "sport" seats.
Laguna is supple but firm. Seems to wear ok, not good with scratches. Looks really nice imho.
Heated and vented come on both laguna & alcanta versions (depending on trim level), worth every penny.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
499 Posts
I'm looking to buy a new Challenger from the dealership and I'm wondering if I should buy one that has OEM leather seats, add Katzkin leather after I buy one with cloth, or get leather seat covers. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
if you can, get the leather option. Always cheaper in the long run. If you can’t there will be OEM options. Look here on Forum parts and of course eBay. And junkyard if you feel lucky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just prefer leather over cloth and I think it's easier to clean. I also really like the designs Katzkin shows on their website whereas I feel like there are only a few options with OEM leather: Dodge Challenger Seat Covers | Leather Seats | Interiors | Katzkin

why are we wanting to swap seats covers out of the gate?..what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
if the car actually used and the seats are trashed? Then I get it, or is it brand new?
if so, have you actually driven a few hundred miles in them to even know if you like them or not and this is worth the cost/effort?
FME having had all 3:
Houndstooth is basic fabric. Can be a little slippery, doesnt wear well over time (fraying) classic look. Most are not hi-bolster I believe.
Alcantara is nice and grippy. wears very well...certainly the best of the "sport" seats.
Laguna is supple but firm. Seems to wear ok, not good with scratches. Looks really nice imho.
Heated and vented come on both laguna & alcanta versions (depending on trim level), worth every penny.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts