Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the 426 crate engine available, I'm wondering if it would make sense to take a bare bones left over '10 SE that is sitting on a lot now, yank the engine and replace it with a 426. Of course, exhaust, Brembos, suspension, rear end, clutch, etc. would need to be upgraded as well. I'm wondering what would it take in terms of money to do this, or would it be better to start out with a '10 SRT8? This way the 6.1 engine could be sold as a take off item to recoupe some cash and much less other modding would be needed compared with an SE.
With the new 392 going for the high 40's, I'm thinking a 426 could be dropped into an SRT8 for similar money and even more power. Not saying I'm going to do this but I'm just throwing it out there as food for thought. Can the 426 even be made street legal? A 426 badge on the hood would be sweet not to mention this engine would provide some serious go fast punch!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Wouldn't an SE conversion have a lot of other problems to deal with? PCM, harnesses, transmission, rear end, rear fascia for dual exhaust, etc, etc, etc.

Just seems like a lot of extra stuff to deal with.

I would still like to see someone strap a couple of big hair dryers on an SE and see what it does. Even better on a 2011 with a PentaStar.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
it would be better to start with a bare bones R/T 6-speed. that way you have the correct wire harness, computer, rear differential, and suspension.
Or a used SRT8. Pick up one for ~30,000 and put the crate 426 in it. you'd be money ahead and have a more powerful car with an aluminum block to boot.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
A few guys I know had their 6.1's stroked and worked over a bit, now they have 426 HEMI'S. When I think of 426 Hemi--it's not a true hemi unless it has a carburator or 2 or 3.MOPARSRULE!!!Wolffy:browsmiley:

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys. I do think there's some serious potential using the 426. With my luck, by the time I got the project completed, Dodge would offer one!:smokin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts