Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all recommend for sealants? I know there's a lot of products out there that say they're the best, of course, and one of them that I've seen a lot recently on Facebook is just called top coat. But there's so many different ones out there that I want to get opinions on your guyses favorites. I already waxed my car and I do the quick wax every other week after I wash it but I want to get a really good sealant for the top coat to make water just completely run and bead off

·
Registered
759 Posts
Depends what you are really looking for. I use adams polishes everything on my car. If you want a good paint sealant that will make water bead, use their paint sealant, its fairly cheap for everything you need. If you want the best of the best kind of protection and water to really roll off, use something like a ceramic coating. Adams also has those however ceramics are significantly more expensive than a paint sealant and much more labor intensive. Lots of people in the challenger community also use chemical guys products. I have used some of their stuff and had no complaints. Both good companies check out and they both do video tutorials.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I've been happy with Chemical Guys Jet Seal

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use Wolfgang deepgloss paint sealant most of the time with great results.

I use several sealants depending on customer needs and wants.

Wolfgang has a great deep look to it that can last a good 6 months or more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Look up opticoat.com

The guy who invented it was one of the first to make coatings and sealants.

I got in to detailing when I got my PCP SPS, after 2 years of reading and learning I like OPT stuff the best.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My current sealant is a layer of dust and grim because it literally rains everyday.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Look up opticoat.com

The guy who invented it was one of the first to make coatings and sealants.

I got in to detailing when I got my PCP SPS, after 2 years of reading and learning I like OPT stuff the best.
Careful, I hear that same guy invented the "Optigrab" and that was a COMPLETE failure!!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Re-Load or Opti-Seal are two real good ones...

·
Registered
66 Posts
In my opinion a spray silica sealant is the best solution as a durable sealant. These contain Si02 (liquid silica a.k.a. quartz) and will not only be more durable, they will add more gloss, and will greatly increase the slickness of the surface via surface tension. In doing so, contaminants and water will have an almost impossible time sticking or sitting on the surface. In the detailing industry we call this 'hydrophobic' - literally meaning afraid of water.

These types of spray sealants are trim friendly and can go on most all exterior surfaces (dont apply them to rubber though) and they also a great product to treat the wheels with as a means of allowing for much increased cleaning capabilities.

These are the same types of products that i recommend all vehicles with ceramic nano coatings use, 3-4 times a year, in order to provide an additional sacrificial barrier of protection from the elements, U.V, rays, and from chemical contamination.

They are simple to apply.. a simple wipe on via clean Microfiber Towel then follow with a dry towel to buff off any excess. After 2 or 3 applications you will be experienced enough in order to apply them to a Challenger in about 10-12 minutes.

Hope this helps... :cheers:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my opinion a spray silica sealant is the best solution as a durable sealant. These contain Si02 (liquid silica a.k.a. quartz) and will not only be more durable, they will add more gloss, and will greatly increase the slickness of the surface via surface tension. In doing so, contaminants and water will have an almost impossible time sticking or sitting on the surface. In the detailing industry we call this 'hydrophobic' - literally meaning afraid of water.

These types of spray sealants are trim friendly and can go on most all exterior surfaces (dont apply them to rubber though) and they also a great product to treat the wheels with as a means of allowing for much increased cleaning capabilities.

These are the same types of products that i recommend all vehicles with ceramic nano coatings use, 3-4 times a year, in order to provide an additional sacrificial barrier of protection from the elements, U.V, rays, and from chemical contamination.

They are simple to apply.. a simple wipe on via clean Microfiber Towel then follow with a dry towel to buff off any excess. After 2 or 3 applications you will be experienced enough in order to apply them to a Challenger in about 10-12 minutes.

Hope this helps... :cheers:

Do you personally have any preference in terms of brand or specific one? There's so many out there and so many companies have several different ones too. And everything I'm reading says to apply it between a clay bar and a wax or just right before a wax. If I just waxed my car a month ago should I hold off on doing this until I wax my car next? I thought since it was a sealant it would go after the wax and seal everything in. I don't want to buy it now and use it but pretty much be wasting it because I applied it in the wrong order.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use Wolfgang deepgloss paint sealant most of the time with great results.

I use several sealants depending on customer needs and wants.

Wolfgang has a great deep look to it that can last a good 6 months or more.

Is there any difference in sealants when it comes to the color of the car? Like I know with some wax it won't have as good of an effect in terms of making your color "pop" if you don't have a black car. or other darker colors. Mine is bright white so is there anything specific I should be looking for when I buy a sealant?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you personally have any preference in terms of brand or specific one? There's so many out there and so many companies have several different ones too. And everything I'm reading says to apply it between a clay bar and a wax or just right before a wax. If I just waxed my car a month ago should I hold off on doing this until I wax my car next? I thought since it was a sealant it would go after the wax and seal everything in. I don't want to buy it now and use it but pretty much be wasting it because I applied it in the wrong order.
A silica based sealant is the 21st century wax replacement. It offers more U.V. Protection, Enhanced Durability, and better hydrophobic properties than wax.

So the procedure in your example would be wash > clay > silica sealant

It doesnt need to be done monthly. At the minimum it can be applied once every 4 months. Depending on your climate and storage conditions If you want to apply it more often, then a quarterly application (every 3 months) is fine also.

In terms of particular product, many are very similar these days. However CarPro Reload or FeynLab Ceramic Nano Sealant will work well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes certain wax or sealant does qork better on some colors. I use hd poxy on dark cars because it has a different wax in it that really looks fantastic on dark colors.

Getting the paint to "pop" is more about the prep then the actual sealant. Flat paint reflects more like which will make it pop more.

For my wife's white grand cherokee I use Wolfgang sealant and top it with their fuzion spray after every wash. If it were going to a car show I'd layer a nice carnauba wax on top to enhance the depth as much as I could. Some people don't believe in layering and that's fine but I happen to think it works.

The sio2 spray sealants mentioned are also fantastic options. They're not as durable as a sealant that was last 6 to 12 months but you can spray it on every other wash and they act a lot like a coating from the si02 it's got. I have and use mckees37 hydro blue si02 spray on the wheels and front grill.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Is there any difference in sealants when it comes to the color of the car? Like I know with some wax it won't have as good of an effect in terms of making your color "pop" if you don't have a black car. or other darker colors. Mine is bright white so is there anything specific I should be looking for when I buy a sealant?
Fairly sure that's snake oil and any wax/sealant will do the same job on one color or the other.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A silica based sealant is the 21st century wax replacement. It offers more U.V. Protection, Enhanced Durability, and better hydrophobic properties than wax.

So the procedure in your example would be wash > clay > silica sealant

It doesnt need to be done monthly. At the minimum it can be applied once every 4 months. Depending on your climate and storage conditions If you want to apply it more often, then a quarterly application (every 3 months) is fine also.

In terms of particular product, many are very similar these days. However CarPro Reload or FeynLab Ceramic Nano Sealant will work well.

Ok got it. So Since I just clay barred and waxed my car a month ago. In about two months (since it rains pretty often and it's a daily driver) instead of another wax I would just substitute it with the silica sealant?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok got it. So Since I just clay barred and waxed my car a month ago. In about two months (since it rains pretty often and it's a daily driver) instead of another wax I would just substitute it with the silica sealant?
Yup :thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fairly sure that's snake oil and any wax/sealant will do the same job on one color or the other.
For the most part it's snake oil but montan wax can give paint a darker appearance. If I've used hd speed on a darker car topping it with hd poxy (contains montan wax) gives a fantastic look. I just did this the other day on a dark silver toyota.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ZAINO!!! The stuff is amazing!!! It's all I use.....

Mark

1 - 20 of 31 Posts