Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am looking to replace my all season tires I have on my RT with full summer/performance tires. According to the build sheet I have they are 9.5 x 20.

Build sheet:

• 20x9.5 Low-Gloss Blk Forged Wheels are listed. Is there an "upsize" available? If so what size? Also, what are the best for performance? Price is not an issue, performance is.
Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
195 Posts
What kind of driving? Daily, drag, auto cross?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is not my daily driver but I want max performance. Heavy duty road racing/ driving through the back road turns of SoCal.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scatpack
47 Posts
I ended up getting new wheels since I wanted a staggered setup and the stock 9.5 wheels wouldn’t allow more than a 275 tire. However, as tires go I’ve had the nitto 555 g2 and they grip very well when dry, wet they are ehhh. But hard to find something that sticks very well on wet with these cars. I’ve heard great things with micky ts, many guys at drag strip with them. The nitto 555r are also a popular one. I’ve also seen several people using the firestone Indy tire, don’t know much about them though. Oh the thrills of tire shopping. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,472 Posts
You could fit a 285/40R20 on a 9.5" wheel, .4" wider than a 275, so not much difference and not many choices at 285

A Guy

Reactions: Mopar 19 SP

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just to be clear, its the 285/35/20 that is the proven tire size on a factory Hellcat/ Dynamic Package 9.5 x 20 wheel. That is the size Bob Bondurant Racing School runs SQUARE on the Hellcats. Its the 285/35/20 tire size that will work BOTH on the front or rear.

The 285/40/20 will work for sure on the rear, but its an inch taller than a 285/35/20.
A 285/35 is almost an inch shorter than a 275/40/20. This taller 285/40/20 size MAY cause an issue when run on the front.

A guy is right, your choices in a 285/35/20 ( or any 285 really) are somewhat limited, but there are still some great high performance tires available.

If you can afford them, the Michelin PS4S are the highest rated/ most recommended tire for performance driving/corner carving while still having some acceptable service life/tread wear.

Once you step beyond that and get into a 200 tread wear tire, the service life can be astonishingly short...like change your tires every oil change short.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scatpack
47 Posts
From your signature it looks like you don’t have a hellcat. If you do my apologies. Here’s a pic of my current setup if it helps. I’m assuming you don’t have the dynamic package either. This setup allowed me to drop the car using the eibach pro kit, minimal drop vs the sport line kit, without any issues. Sounds like you CAN go 285 according to the posts above. Hell there are guys putting 315 on the rear stock wheels; not recommended but you “can.”

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,472 Posts
I'm not sure where the info that a 285/40 is almost an inch taller than a 275/40/20 comes from, but it's incorrect. It's actually closer to the size then a 285/35 which yes, will also fit on a 9.5"

I can understand wanting to go square, and then a shorter rather than taller tire would be preferable due to the front. I honestly wasn't thinking all four, and should have been clearer

A Guy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hankook v12 Evo2 are decent, and they are inexpensive compared to the Michelins, Continentals, Pirellis, etc. Not sure how they perform in the twisties, but I had some 275/40R20 on the back of my RT and I was able to cut some 1.9x 60' times at the strip. I took them off to put on some NT555Rs. Same size. These are good for straight line traction but will not wear well as they are a drag radial. If you need max performance, I second SpeedShift with the Michelin PS4S.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Put Michelin PS4S.on my 2015 RT plus, have about 1000 miles on them
They are definitely worth the money , IMO
i also added the Eibach front sway bar

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
801 Posts
From your signature it looks like you don’t have a hellcat. If you do my apologies. Here’s a pic of my current setup if it helps. I’m assuming you don’t have the dynamic package either. This setup allowed me to drop the car using the eibach pro kit, minimal drop vs the sport line kit, without any issues. Sounds like you CAN go 285 according to the posts above. Hell there are guys putting 315 on the rear stock wheels; not recommended but you “can.” View attachment 997477
I don't have a Hellcat, but I did have 2015 SRT392 Challenger. It ran the same size wheels/brakes/tires as a Hellcat.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm not sure where the info that a 285/40 is almost an inch taller than a 275/40/20 comes from, but it's incorrect. It's actually closer to the size then a 285/35 which yes, will also fit on a 9.5"

I can understand wanting to go square, and then a shorter rather than taller tire would be preferable due to the front. I honestly wasn't thinking all four, and should have been clearer

View attachment 997481

View attachment 997482

A Guy
I mistakenly fat fingered the numbers. I edited the above posts to be clear and accurate.

I accurately compared a 285/40 to a 285/35. There is almost an inch difference in height. I wanted to compare a 285/35 to 275/40. AGAIN there is almost an inch difference in height.

I got the info from the same tire size chart that you are using.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,472 Posts
Ahhh yes, but his baseline is the 275, so all good, as long as he knows what's doable

A Guy

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
557 Posts
She is not my daily driver but I want max performance. Heavy duty road racing/ driving through the back road turns of SoCal.
NT05 MAX. Perfectly fits the description of the tire you're looking for imo. This is the street/road race version not the drag radial (NT05R)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts