Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Srt8 6.4 6 speed, and I want a supercharger. But I want the best rated, most reliable, and one you can upgrade with a smaller pulley or whatever. Can anyone suggest a manufacturer and model please. Thank you

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
For daily driving edelbrock or magnuson 2300. Edlebrock is a bit more expensive but much
better customer service. Magnuson has Steve White Motors as a sales rep and if you have
Steve White Motors do the install you will never have to deal with Magnuson’s customer support
(Or lack there of).

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Whipple. Best most clean install no belt issues and a much nicer belt set up. Makes more steam and you can do different pulley just like the rest. And it looks really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
whipple hands down, most power, largest intercooler, sexiest, loudest whine, safest and most reliable tune

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,723 Posts
It depends on what you want and how you drive.

Steve White has a Great price on an installed and tuned Maggie and I believe that Edelbrock has a $500 rebate on their E-Force blower right now too. In my opinion though, the Whipple is the best blower out of the Twin Screw types because of how it compresses the air. If you're looking for tire melting torque, then any of the above will get the job done and all could be upgraded by dropping the pulley and a tune update. Either of these, I'd recommend a good, sticky rear tire to get the most out of it,

I had a Vortech centrifugal on my old C5 Vette (T-trim) and it worked well for me because it didn't make power off of idle and was much easier to hook the power up because of that. A Procharger works the same way along with a Paxton too. I happen to like the centrifugals, but that might be because the only option back then was a 2100 Maggie that would heat soak and not make the power that I wanted. The new and improved 2600's don't have that problem.

Like I said, it depends on what you want it to do and how you drive it.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Whipple. Best most clean install no belt issues and a much nicer belt set up. Makes more steam and you can do different pulley just like the rest. And it looks really nice

I don't think the install of the Whipple is any cleaner than the rest. What's better about it's belt setup? It doesn't
run any wider of a belt than the others. It's not like the Mustang where we can just easily swap in an 8 rib.

I don't like the design of the jack shaft on the Whipple I think that's less "clean". But the Whipples will make more
power than a Maggie or an Edelbrock.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The belt stays put. Unlike belt alignment issues which I spend 2 yrs jacking with in magnuson

It comes with very nice oem quick disconnect connections

It comes with a factory catch can

A bigger inner cooler
All around much better

·
Vendor
12,278 Posts
all depends on the desired outcome, for the best driveability the Magnuson wins hands down, the Whipple will make more power simply because its larger but also creates a ton of heat, for example cannot road race with one, you'll melt the engine down
the Magnuson is easier to install and we have never had a warranty issue

I would stay away from the Whipple on a 5.7 application, a great deal of issues with harmonics, creating an obnoxious rattle at idle with ac on

we have 2 tuner kits left at an incredible price

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f194/magnuson-supercharger-tuner-kit-663115/

Luke

ps yes there has been some belt issues, but most have been easily resolved quickly

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,723 Posts
I don't think the install of the Whipple is any cleaner than the rest. What's better about it's belt setup? It doesn't
run any wider of a belt than the others. It's not like the Mustang where we can just easily swap in an 8 rib.

I don't like the design of the jack shaft on the Whipple I think that's less "clean". But the Whipples will make more
This is just a guess, but maybe it's got better belt wrap than the others. Ribs are important, but belt wrap and actual pulley contact is too. If you look at how they have their tensioner setup, it's got probably 300° of belt wrap.

Personally, that's why I like turbos better because I've never seen a belt break/slip on a turbo setup (just one of the reasons I like turbos better) :D

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
The belt stays put. Unlike belt alignment issues which I spend 2 yrs jacking with in magnuson

It comes with very nice oem quick disconnect connections

It comes with a factory catch can

A bigger inner cooler
All around much better

Well the first thing to address is that Magnuson doesn't actually make a Supercharger Kit for our vehicles.

Third parties like Arrington had to put one together because Magnuson doesn't think we are a big enough
market to serve directly.

I've not had any issues with my belt on mine since I upgraded to a Thump Tensioner. That being said, the

Whipple has much better belt wrap.

I also like how Whipple offers upgrades for the IC system that's a plus.

But like I said before, I don't like the way the Whipple looks, I don't think it's a "cleaner" install, the Magnuson

looks 100% OEM. I don't like the jack shaft setup on the Whipple. I don't like the rattle issue that Whipple has
and claims is totally normal.

But when it comes to power output there's no doubt Whipple is king. My friend Anthony is making 804 at the rear
wheels on his 5.0 with a ported 2.9 Whipple running 14lbs. It's insane! :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I don’t disagree but I do toxic
I have worked on both and no way is magnuson cleaner. I have one and spend so much time making it look CLEAN whipple comes with nice factory oem connections for lines

I have a older car the has a power steering pump and that has caused a lot of issues for the older none electric steering cars in regards to keeping the belt on. I have spend months tweaking the belt to keep it in. Distroyed dozens of them and a couple hood liners.

If you order a kit right now from
Magnuson for the older cars it will be the same way. And for the money it cost that is piss poor design

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts

It does have better water connectors and reservoir design than say the Maggie but I recently learned with whipples you have to notch the hood to clear the pulley.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/8380249-post96.html

Also I think fitment with a factory shaker is a no go. :dunno:
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/8368171-post30.html

I might be one of the very few that like the waffle iron design of the Maggie and the contoured look of the snout. I find the look of the Edelbrock quite dated...looks like an early 90's design but it does have a clearer install than both the Maggie and whipple IMO. Although I would be more concerned about the rattle at idle when the AC is on. A couple of folks have complained about this over the past several months.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f176/whipple-rattle-noise-609137/
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f176/before-you-buy-whipple-terrible-rattle-noise-621313/

My Maggie is uber quiet except for the slight whine at heavy throttle.

Also I think the whipples cost about +$1k more than the Maggie but it does outperform the Maggie...it is a 2.9L as opposed to a 2.3L after all and a true compressor. I have also read several guys on the HP forum complaining about throttle surge and are constantly asking for help to tune it out.

If I was drag racing I probably would have gone with a procharger but since I mostly cruise the Maggie meets my need which is instant torque down low.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I don’t disagree but I do toxic
I have worked on both and no way is magnuson cleaner. I have one and spend so much time making it look CLEAN whipple comes with nice factory oem connections for lines

I have a older car the has a power steering pump and that has caused a lot of issues for the older none electric steering cars in regards to keeping the belt on. I have spend months tweaking the belt to keep it in. Distroyed dozens of them and a couple hood liners.

If you order a kit right now from
Magnuson for the older cars it will be the same way. And for the money it cost that is piss poor design

My 2 cents.

My Maggie is on a 2011 392 which has regular power steering. Again no issues with my setup. I had issues with
the belt they supplied with my OEM tensioner. As soon as I switched to a green Fleet Belt and the Thump

tensioner I've not had an issue since. I've put about 15-20k miles on my Maggie so far and I've been through

two belts, the one they shipped which I snapped and the Green Fleet that's on it now.

Now granted I'm only running 6lbs boost too... So at 12-14lbs it may be a completely different beast and that

shows the over-all weakness in our front drive system. Why no one can make a bolt on 10 rib is beyond me... No
if we want to go that way we have to cobble together HC parts.

Totally thrilled with the finished look on my install. Yeah "making" hoses from a bunch of 90 degree generic hoses
was sloppy and pre-molded hoses would be wonderful. But once they are installed they don't look out of place.

I think as far as clean installs go, the Edelbrock is #1 the Maggie is #2 and the rest all get lumped in for #3.
Techno was a clean install shame they no longer exist.

Of course everything said above is my opinion and your mileage may vary! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
This thread is odd. I put my whipple on my 5.7 and had zero of the issues noted here. It also ran very cool and had no harmonics noise.

I can only conclude that I didn't have to notch my hood because I have a Cervinis shaker and maybe more room? With the custom shaker setup, I flow air straight across the whipple AND I used meth injection (I recommend it for any non-forged setup anyway). I later swapped out my 5.7 and dropped in a 6.2 and no issues. At 11 psi, she makes enough power to make me stop turning up the boost and just enjoy her a while.

The procharger setup is also an excellent choice because you don't hit all that torque at once and it a bit easier on the trans, driveshaft, diff, and axles.

Kenne Bell is also an awesome blower.

I don't have any experience with the maggie or edelbrock but I would run any of them.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
toxic

have you have any leak issues with that killer glass tube?

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
toxic

have you have any leak issues with that killer glass tube?

None so far, it's been on the same length of time as the supercharger (two seasons now). I got sick of the stock
rubber hose sucking shut at higher RPM and rather than buy a new hose opted for the KG because it's pretty :)

The only issue is that the bend didn't seem right... KG claims that they molded it after a stock hose, not sure if

there was a radiator change anywhere from early 2011 and up but when I installed my KG the logo wound up being
to the rear of the glass which actually worked for me because I prefer it without a logo.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Speaking just from a how it looks under the hood perspective.

Eldelbrock kit looks like absolute tacky 90’s trash under the hood of the Challenger. They missed the boat here badly and should rethink it, I might be a customer if they did.

The Maggie waffle iron case does not look appealing at all, too bad the helix style case is unobtanium unless you bribe them with more money.

Kenne Bell & Whipple look fantastic!

·
Vendor
12,278 Posts
Well the first thing to address is that Magnuson doesn't actually make a Supercharger Kit for our vehicles.

Third parties like Arrington had to put one together because Magnuson doesn't think we are a big enough
market to serve directly.

I've not had any issues with my belt on mine since I upgraded to a Thump Tensioner. That being said, the

Whipple has much better belt wrap.

I also like how Whipple offers upgrades for the IC system that's a plus.

But like I said before, I don't like the way the Whipple looks, I don't think it's a "cleaner" install, the Magnuson

looks 100% OEM. I don't like the jack shaft setup on the Whipple. I don't like the rattle issue that Whipple has
and claims is totally normal.

But when it comes to power output there's no doubt Whipple is king. My friend Anthony is making 804 at the rear
wheels on his 5.0 with a ported 2.9 Whipple running 14lbs. It's insane! :)
Arrington basically no longer exist, a few of us are putting kits together with great success
>:)

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Arrington basically no longer exist, a few of us are putting kits together with great success
>:)

Yes I meant to say Steve White as well! You do a great service to us! My intention was the point that Magnuson
can't be bothered to offer anything directly. I guess Ford and GM are the only two that matter :) *edit* I just

checked their site and now at least they list kits for our cars! That's a step in the right direction. :)

·
Vendor
12,278 Posts
Yes I meant to say Steve White as well! You do a great service to us! My intention was the point that Magnuson
can't be bothered to offer anything directly. I guess Ford and GM are the only two that matter :) *edit* I just

checked their site and now at least they list kits for our cars! That's a step in the right direction. :)
more complicated then that, the issue is the lack of demand, r&d is stupid expensive, most people do not understand this, and the market place for the Challengers and or Chargers is limited, what results is lack of parts

and to make it worst, when we test the market with a new item that we are looking to design or build, lots of people jump in but when the product makes it to the shelf it does not sell.....

since hard core performance parts for the majority do not sell well, very little development or availability

and dont hate but what sells is shinny stuff.......real demand for performance parts is very limited:crying:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts