Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,559 Posts
IMO the backlash seems to be that Tesla buyers are like the early adopters of iPhones - there's this smugness that seems to come along with that.

For me - the same blandness across their line just doesn't do it for me. The model S is up there in premium / luxury model price ranges. They may be quick in straight line, but that's about their main party trick - the handling is average sedan values (thing Buick).

The atrocious paint quality in Tesla cars is stunning for what you pay for these vehicles.

A local shop gets a lot of them in for PPF and paint correction, ceramic coatings.

There are numerous paint runs in Model 3s, Model S and Model X. Seen this on mirrors, fenders, doors, front "hoods" and on the rear hatches. Given the premium you pay for other than white - its still the same bad paint finishes as well.

One member took delivery of a Model 3 in the optional dark blue in 2019 and you were greeted by very large paint runs in the door jambs / sills that you didn't even have to look for - they are that obvious.

Then there's the inconsistent body panel gaps as well

Dirt and paint contamination turns up and the orange peel across different body panels is apparent to the eye without having to look for it.

We've had various monthly club meets at the shop and they get a handful of Teslas in their shop - so I've seen a number of different ones over the past two years.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
The average home price in Fremont, where the plant is, is $1.2 million...they not only can't afford the car, they can't afford to live anywhere near where they work...

A Guy

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think all electric is coming sooner or later. Even both Camaro and Mustang is rumored to have one coming and Ford already does with the Mach E, but not very sporty in that body style IMO. I would like to see some kind of hybrid, maybe a motor for the front wheels to help with traction and better torque off the line.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,795 Posts
I got a chuckle when I saw that image posted. Note most of the vehicles are probably conventional ICE - there's a Tesla just behind that white Challenger.

It underscores one of the major items - the assembly line workers probably can't afford a Tesla - even the Model 3 is pretty expensive - especially in the Bay Area.

I used to live there (just shy of two decades) and in the 13 years since I've left - its only more expensive. Housing / Food / Utilities are going to take 80% of most people's take home pay.

The 3 starting point is $35.7K (250mi range / single motor) then $44.7K "Long Range" (for 72mi more range / dual motor) and Performance $52.7K (299mi range)

any color other than white is $1k and the red is $2k. Interior color other than black costs $1k and on many models the wheels beyond the "pizza cutter" Aero wheels cost $1.5K

You're getting well up in to a premium price range and then add in the electric charging equipment at home on top of the purchase price.
I'll bet after leaving that area, it probably felt like you got a raise just by lower costs of living in food and housing. I heard that it's a Beautiful area though, just pretty expensive.

I remember watching a stand up comic that said he always dreamed of having a $700,000 house.......He just never thought that it would be a two bedroom, two bath in Inglewood. It made me laugh especially because its probably true.

As far as the Tesla's. I think that they're Great cars because of their innovation and performance. I also like that they aren't dependent on fossil fuel and did I mention their performance? :D

If you buy the performance version, the wheels are nice on it already and as far as the cost to change colors, I'd just take the base color and then have it wrapped whatever color that you wanted. When or if you get tired of that, peel it off and wrap it a different color. It would cost more than the $1k that the color change would cost, but you get what you want.

I really like the Model 3, but the Model S is a Beautiful computer on wheels but they aren't cheap!

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
191 Posts
My wife's got a Model 3. It is a very nice car. Honestly sometimes I regret funding this jackass however, more especially recently. He's one of those guys who didn't have his parents tell him to think before speaking out loud apparently. I never have understood why they don't have a normal CEO and let Elon stay behind the scenes, like they do with other crazy tech start up founders. Too bad they don't have more competition as well.

·
Super Moderator
15,559 Posts
I'll bet after leaving that area, it probably felt like you got a raise just by lower costs of living in food and housing. I heard that it's a Beautiful area though, just pretty expensive.

I remember watching a stand up comic that said he always dreamed of having a $700,000 house.......He just never thought that it would be a two bedroom, two bath in Inglewood. It made me laugh especially because its probably true.
Initially moving from San Francisco to Portland, OR it seemed like that - until the 2008/2009 recession hit. I moved away from SF seeing the impending recession was coming...having the big mortgages and property taxes wasn't going to be covered by unemployment.

I was unemployed for 10 months - that's how bad the economy (12.5% unemployment rate average for OR) was. It took years for Oregon to begin to comes out of it starting ~ 2012 very slowly.

Lousy job market and many employers tried to be "creative" by calling full time positions 'part-time' and not offering health insurance nor paid time off. I passed on those scam artist companies.
I spent years doing temp contract for 2 1/2 years - which was way too long.

Dealt with yet more flaky businesses and owners for a couple of more years after that.

By the time I got to year # 10 there - I wanted out. Listed my house and was in contract in 48 hours...couldn't wait to get out of there.
My property taxes increased on my house (over nearly 9 years) by 47%

I watched Portland go from reasonably affordable in 2007 - house prices were in low - mid $200K range then jumped to mid $400K and then new infill builds / teardown were $700 -800K...in Portland!
-I don't know who's buying things at those prices as the wages aren't keeping up with that rise.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,795 Posts
Initially moving from San Francisco to Portland, OR it seemed like that - until the 2008/2009 recession hit. I moved away from SF seeing the impending recession was coming...having the big mortgages and property taxes wasn't going to be covered by unemployment.

I was unemployed for 10 months - that's how bad the economy (12.5% unemployment rate average for OR) was. It took years for Oregon to begin to comes out of it starting ~ 2012 very slowly.

Lousy job market and many employers tried to be "creative" by calling full time positions 'part-time' and not offering health insurance nor paid time off. I passed on those scam artist companies.
I spent years doing temp contract for 2 1/2 years - which was way too long.

Dealt with yet more flaky businesses and owners for a couple of more years after that.

By the time I got to year # 10 there - I wanted out. Listed my house and was in contract in 48 hours...couldn't wait to get out of there.
My property taxes increased on my house (over nearly 9 years) by 47%

I watched Portland go from reasonably affordable in 2007 - house prices were in low - mid $200K range then jumped to mid $400K and then new infill builds / teardown were $700 -800K...in Portland!
-I don't know who's buying things at those prices as the wages aren't keeping up with that rise.
I often wonder that myself Hal! I'm Sorry to hear about your struggle, but I hope that things have gotten better.

It's kind of crazy when you sit back and watch things change like they do. I often tell my Wife that the only constant thing in life is change. Sometimes it sneaks up on you and sometimes you just sit back and watch it happen.

·
Super Moderator
13,947 Posts
Did you ever wonder what happened to the Telsa Starman? The rumor is that he left Earth to escape the pandemic.

By October he will be far away orbiting Mars!

I wonder what tunes he's playing on his roadster? Wait...isn't space a vacuum? I guess that he will not be able to enjoy them unless he has speakers inside of his helmut.

Check out this live feed.

star.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,559 Posts
I often wonder that myself Hal! I'm Sorry to hear about your struggle, but I hope that things have gotten better.

It's kind of crazy when you sit back and watch things change like they do. I often tell my Wife that the only constant thing in life is change. Sometimes it sneaks up on you and sometimes you just sit back and watch it happen.
Change is inevitable - I moved to North Carolina just a bit over two years ago - and its much better.

I had a new house built and through all that's going on - a contract job has been ongoing (essential business). I'm grateful that all this came together and didn't know it would work out in this way.

I've been through challenges and during these past two years both my parents passed (they were divorced in early 90s, one living in CA, the other in GA) away within 10 months of each other.

The good part was that I wanted to be closer to my father (in GA) and I got to see him a couple of months before the unexpected passing. I'm still dealing with legal matters (father's 2nd wife) but my brother and I are dealing with that as well.

Reactions: FreddyG and Fawls

·
Registered
38 Posts
The wife and I are having some pavers, fake grass, and custom bbq put in and she tells me hopefully the contractor makes some money off this, he must not be doing that good with a car like that...a blue Tesla Model S, i laughed and told her how much they cost, i said I'm not a fan of their looks either lol

·
Super Moderator
15,559 Posts
Have we all forgotten about the Telsa Starman? In October, his roadster will be orbiting Mars. Check out this live feed.

View attachment 993828
makes me wonder what condition things are in with particles and whatnot flying around in space as well how materials are holding up in the environment in outer space...?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,795 Posts
Change is inevitable - I moved to North Carolina just a bit over two years ago - and its much better.

I had a new house built and through all that's going on - a contract job has been ongoing (essential business). I'm grateful that all this came together and didn't know it would work out in this way.

I've been through challenges and during these past two years both my parents passed (they were divorced in early 90s, one living in CA, the other in GA) away within 10 months of each other.

The good part was that I wanted to be closer to my father (in GA) and I got to see him a couple of months before the unexpected passing. I'm still dealing with legal matters (father's 2nd wife) but my brother and I are dealing with that as well.
That is true about change being inevitable and is a good way to look at it. I heard that North Carolina is a Nice place to live.

I'm Sorry to hear about your Parent's passing and Your family matters with his 2nd Wife too. That can get pretty brutal sometimes.

Hang in there and Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I got a chuckle when I saw that image posted. Note most of the vehicles are probably conventional ICE - there's a Tesla just behind that white Challenger.

It underscores one of the major items - the assembly line workers probably can't afford a Tesla - even the Model 3 is pretty expensive - especially in the Bay Area.

I used to live there (just shy of two decades) and in the 13 years since I've left - its only more expensive. Housing / Food / Utilities are going to take 80% of most people's take home pay.

The 3 starting point is $35.7K (250mi range / single motor) then $44.7K "Long Range" (for 72mi more range / dual motor) and Performance $52.7K (299mi range)

any color other than white is $1k and the red is $2k. Interior color other than black costs $1k and on many models the wheels beyond the "pizza cutter" Aero wheels cost $1.5K

You're getting well up in to a premium price range and then add in the electric charging equipment at home on top of the purchase price.
Funny thing about those price ranges though.

They look pretty similar to what people on this forum pay for a car. A Challenger RT properly appointed with the stuff you'd want in it is going to cost what that single motor Model 3 will cost. The mid range Model 3 and AWD will run about what a Scat pack will cost......and the Model 3 performance will cost a little less than a Hell Cat.

Add in the cost of operation over the typical ownership period of a car.......the Model 3 in any configuration easily "beats" a comparable Challenger and it'll be a faster ride too. Not nearly as cool looking.......but it's hard to make an argument that the Model 3 is a tough price point in a world where SUVs, Pick Ups and typical well dressed cars run well into the same price range and often higher when talking "nice" ICE powered SUVs, Cars and Pick Up trucks.

My wife drives an AWD Model 3 as daily driver back and forth to work and courtesy of an over-sized solar array at our home.......the rides are basically "FREE"......but even if we had to pay for the electric charging the electric demand at the meter would run at a small fraction of the cost of gasoline in her last daily driver.

There are arguments for those who love our ICE vehicles to stay with them but the cost to purchase and operate the car isn't one of them anymore, at least not in the case of the Model 3 vs it's reasonable alternative Choices.

If you want to drive "SUPER CHEAP"......there is still no electric replacement for a Honda Civic or Toyota Carolla. You just can't ever save back enough in the reduced maintenance and gas to justify the higher priced model 3s. How-ever if you make the more reasonable comparison between a Model 3 and an ICE car that is some-what closer in terms of performance and "nice"........this where the Model 3 looks much better.

At some point, not too far off in the future, it's not especially hard to imagine the first Retro-appearance car with an EV drivetrain. Would it sell or is that a step too far away from the past? Beats me..... but I'd bet anything one of the car companies will probably probe the waters for an answer.

·
Super Moderator
15,559 Posts
the Model 3 isn't going to attract the same buyers that are getting SUVs, crossovers and pickups -

I'm aware the model Y is now on sale - but will it capture those buyers above I mentioned? Maybe some of them.

From my perspective for the size and price range, I could get a BMW M2 or M4 for that money and a vehicle that has the dynamics I'm looking for and styling.

the Model 3 is EV that is more appliance like to me - great as a day to day commuter, but then again a Toyota Corolla was like that for many years. Tesla has furthered EVs quite a long way - but the following reminds me of the early iPhone adopters...

I had (brand new) Corollas as loaners during warranty work - they were soul-less boxes that wasn't what I would look for in my day-to-day reality.

ICE and EV will co-existing for a time to come. The larger manufacturers will gradually get more EVs into the market beyond the small percentage that is in the market now. And probably at a more affordable price point for the average buyer.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts