Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me it is a toss up between Meguiares Hot Shine Spray, OR the Meguiars Endurance Spray.

My local Canadian Tire has the Hot Shine in stock, so it would be easier to go with that... is there a big difference between the two? They both seem to offer deep shine and protection.

Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....personally, I've tried the Endurance gel and the Hot Shine but didn't much care for either. The Endurance would sling unless you really worked the product out of the nooks & crannies with a towel and the Hot Shine was oily-like and quite shiny. In either case, I prefer a muted, matte or satin-like finish on my tires. These days I use Duragloss Tire & Rubber Dressing (#253) or 303 Aerospace Protectant (as a back up). I really like the way the 253 applies and the finish it leaves. If I had to choose between the two you listed though, I would probably choose the Endurance. They were supposed to have released a revised version of the product for 2011 which may be the spray you're talking about.

btw, all of these products mentioned are dressings rather than cleaners. In either case, the more pristine/clean your tires are before applying one of these products, the better the end result will be.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I've never been able to find a good one, they all spin off as soon as you drive

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Personally, I can't stand that stuff on tires. I wash my tires when I wash the car, and that's it for my tires.

After all, they are rubber tires and are not supposed to shine IMHO.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I've never been able to find a good one, they all spin off as soon as you drive
....there are some good ones out there that don't sling. IME, usually they are water based dressings. The DG 253 I mentioned earlier is a perfect example of this. I usually apply using an applicator and then buff a bit to knock down the finish/even out the product to get a nice matte look. I'm very anal about "sling" and appearance which is why I stuck with 303 for so long before finally trying DG 253. ....I don't like glossy/shiny tires.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried a lot of tire dressings. My favorite is Meguiares "Hot Shine Tire Foam." It is an aerosol foam that cleans and shines your tires without the application mess or fling. A great product!

Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901
Yeah, Maybe I will try that - I can get that at my local Canadian Tire store as well. Do you think the foam would apply better that the spray (Windex type bottle)?
Thanks,
Richard

·
Banned
675 Posts
....there are some good ones out there that don't sling. IME, usually they are water based dressings. The DG 253 I mentioned earlier is a perfect example of this. I usually apply using an applicator and then buff a bit to knock down the finish/even out the product to get a nice matte look. I'm very anal about "sling" and appearance which is why I stuck with 303 for so long before finally trying DG 253. ....I don't like glossy/shiny tires.
I might give that a try, the stuff the slings off looks horrible on a black vehicle :( I've yet to put any tire shine on my car, but i've only had it for two weeks

·
Super Moderator
14,134 Posts
Yeah, Maybe I will try that - I can get that at my local Canadian Tire store as well. Do you think the foam would apply better that the spray (Windex type bottle)? Thanks, Richard
I find the foam much easier to apply than the spray-type that other products use. Give it a try, I think that you will really like it.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I like Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner and a scrub brush when my tires need a good clean. It gets all the built up tire spray and dirt that regular washing doesn't get and returns them to their original colour. Then I use Black Magic Tire Wet spray. You spray on and leave on. I give them a quick wipe if I don't have time for the spray to settle.

If I'm going to a show, I also use Adam's Undercarriage spray in the wheel wells after washing the car. It blacks out the entire wheel well.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I might give that a try, the stuff the slings off looks horrible on a black vehicle
I've yet to put any tire shine on my car, but i've only had it for two weeks
I like using an applicator with tire dressings. I rarely apply the product directly to the tire itself to avoid overspray. ….and even if I did, I would still use an applicator to buff/even out the finish so it’s sort of a moot point to me. I usually find the cheap, round cotton applicators from the local auto parts retailers suitable for this task (or the round foam applicators I buy online in bulk).

Typically, I spray/prime one side of the applicator until it is wet and then apply the product to the tire. If needed, subsequent “misting” of the applicator is light since the pad is slightly saturated with the dressing (not a lot is needed at this point). Once the product is applied, I will either flip the applicator over, lightly mist it and buff the tire down or use a lightly misted towel. ….lightly misting the towel/other side of the pad I find helps keep from soaking up too much of the product from the tire (you don’t want to wipe it dry). As I’m wiping the tire down I will let the pad/towel briefly sit over areas I notice the product is pooling (tread blocks, lettering, etc.) to allow any excess to be soaked up. If the finish looks too dry after this, a “light” once-over with the damp side of the applicator can add a little more to the finish without depositing excess product. You can play around with your own process until you get a technique that works best for you.

Personally, I prefer Duragloss 253 and similar water based products because they don’t tend to “cake” into crevices and sling or run (with heat, centrifugal force). I find DG 253 also doesn’t require successive applications to create an even finish (IME, some dressings/protectants I have used will dry a little blotchy and need another “once over” several minutes after application before I’m done). I also like how I can tone down the finish to a more natural, matte-like shine. ….or you can leave it more satin-like if you wish (just don’t buff down the finish and (rather) use the applicator to soak up any standing product as you lightly go over the tire on your final pass).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....its not the best shot/angle, but here's an idea of how DG 253 looks. I usually buff it down a little bit more than what is shown. The pic was taken a couple of days after application and a couple of miles driven.

·
Registered
526 Posts
For me Detailers Pride Gel Wheel Cleaner the cats meow for cleaning your rims and tires..and if you have the 20 inch chrome clads like I do a soft bristle rim brush with a rubber handle to clean off the brake dust on the back rim does the job
For tire dressing WheelWax-Extreme Black,doesnt sling leaves a satin finish,and you can use it on Vinyl and plastic so its good "bang for the buck"

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
For me Detailers Pride Gel Wheel Cleaner the cats meow for cleaning your rims and tires..and if you have the 20 inch chrome clads like I do a soft bristle rim brush with a rubber handle to clean off the brake dust on the back rim does the job
For tire dressing WheelWax-Extreme Black,doesnt sling leaves a satin finish,and you can use it on Vinyl and plastic so its good "bang for the buck"
Where do you get the WheelWax-ExtremeBlack, Robin? ADH has some wheel wax, but I don't remember if it's the same. He picked it up at booth at Moparfest. But otherwise, it's only available to order online.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah, Maybe I will try that - I can get that at my local Canadian Tire store as well. Do you think the foam would apply better that the spray (Windex type bottle)?
Thanks,
Richard
Rich just thought I let you know of a great detail supply company located in Port Colbourne Ontario called Eshine.ca lots of great stuff and really not that much more money than Canadian Tire..it will save you the cost of bringing it in from states..hope this helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Where do you get the WheelWax-ExtremeBlack, Robin? ADH has some wheel wax, but I don't remember if it's the same. He picked it up at booth at Moparfest. But otherwise, it's only available to order online.
This stuff Val is the cats meow,go to Wheelwax.ca
Wheel wax is the company and they make a tire dressing as well as a wax for your rims,both are outstanding products,now all my car nut buddies use this product go to eshine.ca great place with good online tech help

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rich just thought I let you know of a great detail supply company located in Port Colbourne Ontario called Eshine.ca lots of great stuff and really not that much more money than Canadian Tire..it will save you the cost of bringing it in from states..hope this helps :thumbsup:
Yeah, I will defiantly check that site out.
Thanks for the tip,
Richard

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
mop and glo works for cleaning and leaves the tires the way they should look clean fresh with no wet shine stuff.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For me it is a toss up between Meguiares Hot Shine Spray, OR the Meguiars Endurance Spray.

My local Canadian Tire has the Hot Shine in stock, so it would be easier to go with that... is there a big difference between the two? They both seem to offer deep shine and protection.

Thanks,
Richard
I have only used the Hot Shine spray and foam products. They spray does not have any cleaning properties and found it a bit thin as a dressing. It seemed to take a lot to get an even look..more so with other tire dressings l use or have used (Mothers, PB, or Optimum).

The foam is a better to me and also have a can as a quick wheel well dressing but do not really like aerosols (overspray, cost per use). except in a pinch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts