Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed a new cold air intake and plan on adding more bolt ons. My car is running rich because of the new intake, and so I need a tune for it. I see Diablo, SCT, and other brands out there. I only plan to get it fully bolt on, no supercharger in the near future, maybe get it cammed. What do you guys recommend? And should I get the preloaded tuner or the customizable tuner? I have a ‘14 Challenger srt8 Thank you!!

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack A8
232 Posts
If you have a 2015+ you will need to send your PCM off to get unlocked, use a tuning company with an exchange program or buy an extra PCM. Modern Mopar vehicles are locked down solid from the factory, they cant be unlocked and tuned in your driveway with a flash tuner. This usually adds significantly to the price factor.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
Installed a new cold air intake and plan on adding more bolt ons. My car is running rich because of the new intake, and so I need a tune for it. I see Diablo, SCT, and other brands out there. I only plan to get it fully bolt on, no supercharger in the near future, maybe get it cammed. What do you guys recommend? And should I get the preloaded tuner or the customizable tuner? Thank you!!
You shouldn't be running rich from a CAI, something else is going on here. If anything a good Cai would make it leaner

Reactions: William:)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
Hands down HP tuners is the best tuner if you want total control of your tune. You can deactivate O2 sensors, reprogram the way the cam swings, deactivate skip shift and a whole lot more. Only down side is it has a steep learning curve and requires a PC/laptop to use, but it also comes with an APP called track addict which can communicate with the OBD interface. The diablo served me well but HP tuners blew my mind.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
You shouldn't be running rich from a CAI, something else is going on here. If anything a good Cai would make it leaner
Considering the PCM uses O2 sensors to control fueling I don't see how it is possible that a CAI would make any changes to fueling? You either have to turn NN off, mess with the throttle air table (I have confirmed that tweaking the air table too much on the low end can cause rich condition), futz with the injector tables or mess with power enrichment tables. None of which a diablo can change except for the PE table but it can only do it at certain RPM levels and not across the entire table. I wonder if the IAT sensor might be reading incorrect temps? BTW there are different IAT sensors a short one and a long one and to top it off there is another version of the short one which has a different transfer function, IIRC. When I went with a maggie SC I needed a short IAT sensor which was not originally provided in my kit and the vendor told me not to buy one as they would send me the correct one.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
Considering the PCM uses O2 sensors to control fueling I don't see how it is possible that a CAI would make any changes to fueling?
It theoretically could cause higher fuel trims if it's flowing more than stock, not that it would actually change the FA ratio since the trims would just adapt.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
It theoretically could cause higher fuel trims if it's flowing more than stock, not that it would actually change the FA ratio since the trims would just adapt.
Yup that was my point, the O2 make sure stoich is being met so there should not be any rich conditions except for when the system goes open loop like under acceleration or WOT which that fueling is controlled by enrichment tables and rates. Now the diablo can change WOT fueling so if that was messed with then I can see a rich condition. Although without a wideband, using the factory O2s to tell if the car is running rich is a little more difficult.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts