Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - I just wanted to say thanks to Barton for making this awesome shifter. I consider myself to be somewhat mechanically inclined, but by no means a pro. The installation of the shifter and the flat stick was a snap and the instructional video was great... it took me a few hours (probably about 4, total) on an off work day to put it in and I just followed the video as presented. It fit perfectly into my linkage for the transmission. Compared to the stock shifter in my 2011 SRT 392, well... there is really no comparison. No more slop as the Barton has very positive shifts, the ball feels great when shifting and let's face it - it looks awesome. Thanks to Dave and the team for making a great product.

If you are considering a shifter upgrade - this is it. It is also very quiet (stock sounding or better) and no sound dampening material was required. I can't say enough about the product and I wish I had done this sooner. :)

Enjoy the pic. I recently had my car in for routine service at the Dodge dealer and the techs even complimented me about the shifter and how much better it was compared to the stock one.

Cheers-

Chris B.
Maryland

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ever experience the notch-y-ness of the stock shifter, and if so does the Barton address it??

·
Registered
174 Posts
That black ball Barton looks good...Mine is in the mail. Black on black. I am putting amsoil atf in later today before it arrives. I have the slight 1-2 nibble when cold. I will let you know what difference (if any) the amsoil or Barton make...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bob - I had the feel down well for the OEM shifter. The Barton makes it feels like a new car. I am not 100% what you mean by the notch feel - my biggest problems were the very long throw and the left/right slop when in gear with the OEM... and occasionally going from 2->5 when I first got it.

The thing I like about the Barton and the flat stick is that I could adjust the shaft to my preference for tilt and position. I think the options are more limited with the Barton shifter if you re-use the OEM pistol grip. I adjusted it to where I was comfortable with 1/2 being a little closer to my right knee then stock and went from there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The "notch feel" or "nibble" he is describing is the difficulty engaging 2nd, 3rd or 4th when shifting under power. Sometimes happens when cold, but also happens to me a lot when the tranny is very hot. Feels like the shifter/clutch is causing the gears to grind before the syncros engage or something. Please give us M6 guys an update if your upgrades helped any. I know it can't be a worn clutch/throw out bearing because I have experienced this problem from day one, currently have 12K miles on the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I installed the Barton last weekend. It took 3 hrs. It does feel like a different car. I find it difficult to describe. It sort of snaps thru the gears precisely. I don't know how they did it so much better than dodge ... I guess that is why they are sold out right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RGV - Sorry for not getting back sooner. I set this up to email me when someone responded, but I didn't see any emails.

I don't feel what you describe under power in 2/3/4. Honestly - I didn't feel that with the stock shifter either.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Every time I read another positive review about the Barton setup, it goes higher and higher on my modification priority list...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ever experience the notch-y-ness of the stock shifter, and if so does the Barton address it??
Installed the Barton, bad ass shifter, but the notch-y-ness is still present. Has nothing to do with the shifter, has to be an internal tranny problem. Took mine to the dealer before I swapped out the shifter and they tried to stick me with a new $2,000.00 clutch, said mine was worn out, I said bull shit! So notch-y-ness continues, but the Barton definitely is a major improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts