Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you guys know what I am talking about. I have a BB challenger and its new (2011, bought in mid april) and I see a bunch of swirls on the paint when it is in the sunlight. I'm guessing that this is in the clear coat? Wondering what the best way is of getting these off. Just a good wash? The car has been the the shop for the last 3 weeks so I havent had a chance to give it a bath yet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That sucks, I also have a 2011 BB Challenger - and there are some minor imperfections in the clear coat (not swirls though).

Meguires Swirl X seems like a popular product - you can see some videos on their website on how it works.

But, you may want to wait for some more responses as I have no 1st hand experience on removing scratches/swirls yet - I have been doing lots of research however.

Good Luck,
Richard

·
Registered
104 Posts
Griot's polish works well.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
A good abrasive polish and a Dual Action Polisher

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I use Griot's products and have a detailing series of articles on my website (link in my sig).

Start with the mildest polish and see if it does the job, if not go to the next heavier one until you find the one that gets them out. Use a random orbital machine and you won't have to worry about harming the paint at all.

Griot's has specific pads for polish as well.

Once you find the polish that does the job, follow up with the next milder, and so on until you finish with the 1 step paint sealant.

My paint looks like liquid and folks ask me all the time at shows what I do to it.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I actually just sold my black car and bought white, swirls are now gone. lol

Well, I am sure there are swirl marks in my white car, but you have to look real close to see them now.
ill bet they are there on your white car too

Zaino took my swirls off my stripes....they are like mirrors now...i had professional photo's taken of my car and he has to photoshop the clouds out of my stripes...the one thing i have is a bird poop stain on a stripe...of course its right on the hood too..at the right angle you can see a blotch about 2" round...i figure a bird pooped on it at the factory and it sat there for a month...perminantly staining my stripes

in bright sun and at the right angle they are still there in the white...im planning on purchasing the Zaino to fill in swirls with my next Zaino order...

im glad i didnt buy black or a dark color

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Zaino took my swirls off my stripes....they are like mirrors now...
Hey Huggytree I have a couple questions about your stripe care:

Do you remember what Zaino product you used to clean your stripes?

Also what product(s) are you using to care for them on a regular basis?

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
ill bet they are there on your white car too

Zaino took my swirls off my stripes....they are like mirrors now...i had professional photo's taken of my car and he has to photoshop the clouds out of my stripes...the one thing i have is a bird poop stain on a stripe...of course its right on the hood too..at the right angle you can see a blotch about 2" round...i figure a bird pooped on it at the factory and it sat there for a month...perminantly staining my stripes

in bright sun and at the right angle they are still there in the white...im planning on purchasing the Zaino to fill in swirls with my next Zaino order...

im glad i didnt buy black or a dark color
That's why I said "there are probably swirls"

But they don't stand out and hit me in the face from 30 feet like the black car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is not uncommon for a new car to come with swirls thanks to wash guys on the car wash lot.

You can get some very user friendly polishes at Walmart (Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, both made in America). The real issue is you should use a dual action polisher like the PC7424XP to get consistent results (rather by hand). You can get this at a number of detailing sites like autogeek.net along with the buffing pads.

The basics: do a test spot, get it right before doing the entire vehicle. Use the minimum amount of polish and be sure it has been worked properly. It will take pressure to get best results.

The other factor is you will find many trying to sell you their polishes as the best thing yet but that is marketing.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
It is not uncommon for a new car to come with swirls thanks to wash guys on the car wash lot.
my challenger is my 7th new car.....and my first to come w/ swirls from day 1

1 ford
2 toyota's
3 chevy's

and 1 Dodge

2 dark reds, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 2 green, 1 white

i would have noticed the swirls since all but the yellow were dark colors

i used Zaino Z2 id the only thing i have used on my car...i just used it last weekend for the first time...before that i just washed it...

Z2 is amazing on the stripes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts