Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
mix base coat with clear. keep building up layers until the chipped area is higher than the clear. Wet sand it smooth, buff, polish.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Dr Colorchip system. Very easy and looks good. The wet sand, buff. polish method suggested can look better but you can also mess things up if you are not skilled at it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know if a chip on the bumper would be treated differently than a chip on the sheet metal since the bumper is obviously made of plastic. Is there anyway you could build upon the paint chip so it would ever be "good as new" again?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I didn't know if a chip on the bumper would be treated differently than a chip on the sheet metal since the bumper is obviously made of plastic. Is there anyway you could build upon the paint chip so it would ever be "good as new" again?
You can, but depending on how severe or what angle the stone hit the plastic will dictate how you will fix it. I know on mine (which is what started the whole front clear bra installation for me), when the stone hit me it created not only a paint chip, but it also dented the plastic in such a way that even when I filled it and sanded it carefully, it was removing the paint down to the plastic again. The reason for this is when the stone hit it, the impact created sort of a rise in the plastic along the edge of the chip. Unless you get that rise down to the same level of the rest of the surrounding area, you will not be able to sand it. You will be able to just build it up a dot at a time. This will take time and patience on your part. Once you get it built up, you'll just have to leave it. The only other option you have is to sand it, paint it, clear it and blend it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can, but depending on how severe or what angle the stone hit the plastic will dictate how you will fix it. I know on mine (which is what started the whole front clear bra installation for me), when the stone hit me it created not only a paint chip, but it also dented the plastic in such a way that even when I filled it and sanded it carefully, it was removing the paint down to the plastic again. The reason for this is when the stone hit it, the impact created sort of a rise in the plastic along the edge of the chip. Unless you get that rise down to the same level of the rest of the surrounding area, you will not be able to sand it. You will be able to just build it up a dot at a time. This will take time and patience on your part. Once you get it built up, you'll just have to leave it. The only other option you have is to sand it, paint it, clear it and blend it.
Yeah, mine created a lil rise in the plastic too. I don't know Anything about paint repair stuff, I'd probably make it worse trying to do it myself :(. How much was your clear bra?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts