Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my battery tender. What is the best way to hook it up? I hate to leave anything open since there are sometimes mice in the garage. I noticed it came with screw in battery mounts. Any ideas on how to best hook it up?

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
Under the hood is fine, either with the alligator clips or to a quick disconnect harness to the jump and ground posts under the hood. Then lower the hood to the first catch.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I use the alligator clips and run the cord through the center grill and that way i can fully close the hood. Rarely need to use the charger other than winter storage. If weather has been extremely rainy for a week or more I hook it up overnight before starting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where exactly do I attach it under the hood? Where do you guys tuck the chords when driving?

·
Registered
2018 Challenger T/A 392 M6
34 Posts
I run mine to the battery itself. I put some towels around the cord and closed the trunk. Seems to be ok.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I like in the trunk.
1 There will be some 'loss' in the copper/steel sensing the actual battery voltage - rear eliminates that.
2 If you do have to pick up a snow covered cover, the trunk will be much lighter than the hood.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
I got my battery tender. What is the best way to hook it up? I hate to leave anything open since there are sometimes mice in the garage. I noticed it came with screw in battery mounts. Any ideas on how to best hook it up?
I have these on both of my Hawk's. I have the quick disconnect harness connected directly to the battery and the connector run down the engine compartment zip tied right below the front bumper. Simple to just unplug/plug in when I take the cars out. Only thing to remember (at least for mine) is the instructions said to always unplug the unit before connecting/disconnecting. I keep mine plugged into a power strip mounted on my work bench so I can just flip the switch when using the cars.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
267 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my tender setup in the trunk. I put ring connector's under the clamping nut of each battery terminal clamp, which go to about 8" of 2 conductor wire that terminate at the SAE quick connect connector. It's propped up where you can see it in the photo, but the wire is just long enough to let it drop down beside the battery when not in use. I then put my tender up on a high shelf behind the trunk, and I've suspended a quick connect style extension cord from the ceiling to just drop the connection into the trunk when in use, and hooked back to the wall when not in use. Something like this would eliminate your potential mice issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
245 Posts
I’ve had my battery dead after a week or two of sitting on both my 17 Scat Pack and my 77 Trans Am.

My Scat Pack battery tender is connected under the hood and has been a godsend with COVID and me driving my Scat Pack infrequently.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I clamp my positive to the red terminal under the hood and then the negative goes to a bare metal post made specifically for the negative clamp. There is a diagram on the plastic fuse cover that shows you exactly where to clamp them.

It’s nice they put in a post with no paint for the negative (black/ground). I have had problems in the past trying to find a ground that works because sometimes if the paint is too thick on the metal it won’t properly ground and you will have problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does the negative post unscrew for the permanent mount? I attached a pic to make sure I have the right negative post? Or just i use alligator clamps on the underhood charge?

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
How long between runs would require a tender. Sometimes mine sites for 3 weeks at a time in garage.
If nothing is wrong with the car/battery, months.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Does the negative post unscrew for the permanent mount? I attached a pic to make sure I have the right negative post? Or just i use alligator clamps on the underhood charge? View attachment 1016521 View attachment 1016522 9
I just use the alligator clamps that came with the battery tender. I don’t want additional leads on my car. I hook it up once in the fall when the weather gets cold and unhook it in the spring when the first nice day arrives.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Take it out and charge it separately. That way you aren't pushing current through the whole car (ionizing it while it sits - encouraging humidity to attack any exposed metal).

Sure you laugh now, but in three/four years, let's compare corners and edges of our vehicles' compartments, underbelly and suspension and see which has little brown spots. It won't be mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts